PDA

View Full Version : Weird guage thing

Hawk
03-20-2012, 03:26 PM
I finally got around to changing the time on my Spyder due to DST. I had just parked it and left it idling while I changed it. While I was idling, the check engine light came on. I twisted the throttle, it went off. Didn't really think anything about it. I went to go home that day, and noticed my tach would not go past 2k and it was way off. It started getting better along the ride home, then I noticed my speedo not registering properly either. Both got higher and lower (fluctuated) as I rode. That was a couple of days ago. Everything has been working fine since then. Crazy. Maybe the Spyder doesn't like DST or getting up that early either!!!

ARtraveler
03-20-2012, 04:02 PM
If the problem does not surface again--you had one of those famous computer momemts.

boborgera
03-20-2012, 04:21 PM
I know there is/was a gauge cluster problem, Where when the cluster started to act up the clusters were replaced under warranty. And if that has to be done make a note of your present mileage, Because the new odometer will start at zero miles.

CyncySpyder
03-20-2012, 04:27 PM
As boborgera mentioned, this is a known issue on some of the RT models, but I haven't heard of similar on an RS/GS tho. If it happens again, & definately have my dealer get it replaced under warranty, just my opinion :dontknow:

will
03-20-2012, 04:35 PM
A year ago I bought my Spyder and was driving it 70 or so miles home. It was a Saturday night at about 7:00 PM after leaving the dealer and I was 25 miles out. It was sprinkling and my check engine light came on so I stopped at a McDonald's. I checked the oil which was fine, had many spectators, and decided to continue on the road. Then my analog tachometer would not go above 2K, but the digital one seemed to work fine. I talked to the dealer on Monday and the problem never occurred again so I assumed it was aliens or something. :yikes: The dealer said that sometimes it needs a break-in period, whatever.

I now have 2,300 miles on it and it is working fine.

GeoffCee
03-21-2012, 07:53 AM
The dealer said that sometimes it needs a break-in period, whatever.

In the absence of any real information "a break-in period" sounds technical and mysterious enough. (Whenever we moved house and my widowed mother-in-law came to stay she needed a "break-in period" of a week or so, during which she made her bedroom smell of lavender. The smell, once it was ingrained into the curtains and furniture, couldn't be shifted.) However, the dealer let himself down by use of the suffix "whatever". A glaring admission, should one be needed, that he knows absolutely nothing about your problem. Zilch. You may as well talk to the trees. :f_spider:

Hawk
03-21-2012, 08:32 AM
My wife actually reminded me that it happened soon after we bought the bike. I forgot about that. I'm not going to worry about it until it happens again. The digital one was correct anyway. Thanks for the replies guys!!

MarkLawson
03-21-2012, 02:19 PM
Mine started last summer. Was running 70 MPH at about 2500 RPM on the analog gauge. Happened a few time afterwards. Now happens most of the time. Have even seen it register high recently. My dealer is aware of the problem & tells me they are going to talk to BRP about it. Went out of warranty in January 7 reminded my dealer that this is an ongoing problem reported while still under warranty. On my 3rd instrument cluster, but this problem has only happened on the last one, which was replaced last summer. The current instrument cluster is a 2011 model on my 2010 RT to correct the PTT button delay problem.

scooterexpress
03-21-2012, 02:43 PM
hawk my 2011 rts had the same problem but it didnt go away it turned out the needle was scratching the faceplate because the needles were to long they replaced the cluster with a new model shorter needles much better but as stated an a reply the miles do start over.look real close on the rpm gauge and in the sun to see if the needle has been scratching mine was scratching between the 1-2 mostly at idle.

NancysToy
03-21-2012, 08:12 PM
My 2011 is on cluster #4 (including the original) for analog tach and speedo problems. Eventually, the problem always worsens. When it does, and you ask to have it addressed, they will replace the cluster.

MarkLawson
03-21-2012, 09:59 PM
My 2011 is on cluster #4 (including the original) for analog tach and speedo problems. Eventually, the problem always worsens. When it does, and you ask to have it addressed, they will replace the cluster.

Hope you're right. Mine went out of warranty, but was reported well before the warranty ended. I even expressed concern with the problem not yet being resolved with the end of the warranty approaching.

NancysToy
03-21-2012, 10:36 PM
Hope you're right. Mine went out of warranty, but was reported well before the warranty ended. I even expressed concern with the problem not yet being resolved with the end of the warranty approaching.

Out of warranty, they may not. All my bad clusters exhibited problems from the beginning. This one has been good, so I expect it to last.