PDA

View Full Version : What is on your Head!

BajaRon
03-20-2012, 10:52 AM
Helmets, a boaring subject to some but one that should be at the top of a riders list of things to get right. We fuss about which oil to use, ram mounts for our coffee cup and how much pressure to run in our tires. Having sold helmets since 1998 I've found that many people put more thought into these other issues than they do in what is on their head.

Arai has done studies over the years that show about 70% of non-professional riders are wearing a helmet AT LEAST 1 size too big for them. This statistic has remained pretty much the same over the years meaning that people remain largely ignorant as to a properly fit helmet. Many think an expensive helmet will compensate for poor fit. Not true. You're actually better off with a less expensive helmet that fits properly than a top-of-the-line model that does not.

The problem stems largely from riders not understanding what a properly fit helmet feels like on their head. A properly fit helmet is TIGHT! People don't like tight so they get loose, (or comfortable in their mind) and they basically forfeit a great deal of protection.

If you give yourself time to get used to a properly fit helmet, you'll love it and you'll never go back. This is exactly what happened to me.

Here is an article I just received from Pro Italia motorcycles. Boaring? Maybe, but good stuff none-the-less.

Fit is critical as recent studies by the Mayo Clinic have shown that a properly fit helmet will reduce the chance of a concussion by 42%. But how do you properly fit a helmet? (This isn't new information, but it's worth repeating.)

1. Determine Your Head and Helmet Size: Start by measuring your head at a point approximately one inch above the eyebrows in front and at a point in the back of the head that results in the largest possible measurement. Measure and check the size chart of the helmet manufacturer. Many experienced riders already have a predisposition to a particular brand and know their helmet size. Regardless, it still makes sense to go though this procedure.

2. Determine the Proper Helmet Shape: Heads vary in shape. Heads that seem to be the same size when measured by a tape may not necessarily fit the same size motorcycle helmet. Most helmet manufacturers today offer a number of different shell shapes; typically oval/narrow (example, Arai Profile, Shoei X11), neutral/intermediate (Arai Vector & Corsair, Nexx Carbon, Shoei X-12) and round (Arai RX-Q, Quantum-2). You can determine your head shape by looking in the mirror. If your head is long from front to back and narrow from side to side, you are going to fit best in an oval shape. If you're not sure, try an intermediate shape.

3. Try It On: Tug the chin straps outward to widen the helmet and place it over your head. If the helmet goes on without pulling the straps, the helmet is too large. The helmet should fit snugly and comfortably on your head and tightly against your forehead. Grab the helmet in your hands, one on either side of the helmet, hold your head steady, and try to rotate the helmet from side-to-side. Note any movement of the forehead skin while doing this as well as the amount of resistance to movement.

Next check movement up and down, again noting skin movement and resistance. If in either test there was little or no skin movement, and/or the helmet moved very easily, the helmet is too large. A properly fitted motorcycle helmet will cause the skin to move as the helmet moves. It will feel to the wearer as if evenly distributed pressure is being continuously exerted around the head.

Most good helmets have replaceable cheek pads of varying sizes - so swap out cheek pads to customize the fit. Make sure the helmet fits at the crown/forehead before adjusting cheek pads. Keep in mind that helmets, like shoes, will break in over time. For this reason, the best approach is to select a helmet that is as snug as possible.

4. Check Helmet Retention: Fasten the chin strap. After the strap has been tightly fastened, hold your head steady and reach over the top of the helmet, grabbing the bottom edge with your fingers. Try to roll the helmet up and forward off your head. If it feels like it is coming off, it is too large. Go to the next smaller size and go back to step number three.

5. Walk Around: If you wear glasses while riding, put them on and make sure the helmet fits properly over and around them. Keep the helmet on for ten minutes as sometimes pressure points will show up once the helmet has been removed. Sit on a bike similar to yours and make sure the helmet is still comfortable and it's easy to rotate your head. Finally when you take the helmet off look at your face to see if you have any red spots, this will indicate excessive pressure.

Again, keep in mind that a helmet will compress and break in with time. If the helmet fits 'Perfectly' when new then it will be Too Big once it breaks in and conforms to your features. After four hours or so wearing your helmet it will begin adjusting to your head shape and feel more comfortable.

Your helmet should last for four or five years assuming you don't hit it during an accident or drop it on a hard surface from more than four feet. Good helmets aren't inexpensive but they are worthless if they don't fit correctly. Don't mess with your head.

ARtraveler
03-20-2012, 10:56 AM
Good information about helmets. I learned something new today. :2thumbs:

Cavman
03-20-2012, 11:07 AM
I went out to eat last night. One of the managers looked at me and had a funny look on his face. I asked him a few minutes later when I saw him if my forehead was red. He said yes. I told him the helmet does that. It's because it's right and tight!
When my face starts to itch, I have to bare with it cause I can't usually get to the itch!:gaah:

BTW, it's a Shoei RF-1100 yellow helmet. I want to be seen. I won't have a helmet unless it's SNELL approved. Ya gotta have standards ya know!
It matches the yellow Tourmaster Transition 2 jacket I wear.

Bob Denman
03-20-2012, 11:35 AM
Good information about helmets. I learned something new today. :2thumbs:

:agree: Thanks Ron! :clap:
:firstplace:

NancysToy
03-20-2012, 11:53 AM
This is a subject that is near and dear to my heart. Thanks for bringing the subject up again, Ron. Arai has some of the best information around regarding fit. Their variety of shapes, pads, styles and shell sizes makes this information a necessity for an Arai to fit properly, but it also points you in the right direction for other brands. Many brands have different cheek pads to fine tune the fit in the face itself. Bottom line is firm pressure (not so tight it causes red spots (BTW), even pressure all around, no pinching or pressure points. If the size you measured isn't the same as the size that seems to fit best, the shape is probably wrong for you. If it doesnt feel like you have it on...it doesn't fit! Don't get one too loose just to get it to fit where it is tight, get a different brand or shape. I can't emphasize this enough! I suffered a severe concussion a few years back from a helmet that was too loose (and too hard...watch out for Snell rated helmets). When the helmet stops and your head can continue to move until it collides with the helmet, bad things can happen. I knew better, but I did not search hard enough to find the right shape...I just went a size larger, and paid the price. Forget the paint job, forget the other features, concentrate on fit first...and then consider the other stuff. OK, I'll step down from the soapbox now. :opps:

BajaRon
03-20-2012, 02:01 PM
..... I won't have a helmet unless it's SNELL approved. Ya gotta have standards ya know!

Ah, Snell, a whole other discussion. Sometimes you can be so big that you're able to ignore reality and still have a huge folowing. I am glad to see that Snell is finally (though slowly) moving away from theory (incorrectly applied to the MC world).

With essentially the same force applied to the exterior of the helmet, here are the maximum allowed energy transfer values to the riders head to qualify for the following safety ratings. G force to the head is not the only criteria for helmet safety but is argueably the most critical.

Keep in mind that an impact of 200 to 250 g’s to the head would result in a severe, though probably survivable brain injury. An impact-shock of 250 to 300g would result in a critical head injury.

DOT - 250g’s

Snell M2005 - 300g’s
Snell M2010 - 275g’s

ECE R22-05 (European standard) - 275g's

Again, for a helmet to provide the rated protection it MUST fit properly. Everything goes out the window if the helmet is too big or the wrong head shape.

If you want to read the entire article (it's not long) click here - http://silodrome.com/snell-vs-dot-vs-ece-r22-05-helmet-standards-throwdown/

spyder3
03-20-2012, 03:19 PM
Being a new rider last year and knowing nothing about pretty much anything having to do with a MC, I ordered a helmet online from Revzilla. I watched the reviews, did some DD and picked out what I thought would keep my head safest. I bought the Schuberth C3. I ordered an XL since thats what my head size measured. When it arrived it felt snug to me so i thought all was well.

This was before i even had my spyder, but wanted to be ready. a long story short, i went to Revzilla to get my wife fitted and she was an extra small in the C3 even thigh we measured her to be a small. While there I had them check my noggin in an XL. I barely had it on and the salesperson was already shaking her head...too big....she twisted it on my head, raised the back towards the front..etc...it moved ALOT. Ended up with the large which still feels very tight but the fit is correct and snug.

My battle did continue with the liner in the C3. It left a deep mark on my forehead and eventually i would get a headache. Many others had the same mark on the C3 forums etc. I finally fixed that issue this year by taping a mini pad(yes, ultra thin) across the area that was torturing me...:roflblack::roflblack:. It worked and i didn't give a :cus: why..... i passed my little secret onto the schuberth rep who was real embarrassed about my fix....:dontknow:. He sent me a liner from the new S2 to try which hooks up the same way. Thankfully, this did the trick and I am now at peace with my helmet and makes me look forward to riding even more now.

So, if you don't know what your doing size wise, get some help or as Ron has said, your wasting your money for less protection than you think.:lecturef_smilie: Great topic Ron!!:clap:

DocRags
03-20-2012, 03:31 PM
Great thread, Ron. :clap: I was pleasantly surprised at Daytona, seeing more helmets than I was honestly expecting to. It does seem that those of us on 3 wheels tend to be more protective of ourselves than those on 2 (of course, that could also account for our preference for 3 wheels!) Can't for the life of me figure out bikers not protecting the most expensive thing on their bike...their brain. (Well, maybe that's not true of SOME of them :roflblack:).

BajaRon
03-20-2012, 11:52 PM
Being a new rider last year and knowing nothing about pretty much anything having to do with a MC, I ordered a helmet online from Revzilla. I watched the reviews, did some DD and picked out what I thought would keep my head safest. I bought the Schuberth C3. I ordered an XL since thats what my head size measured. When it arrived it felt snug to me so i thought all was well.

This was before i even had my spyder, but wanted to be ready. a long story short, i went to Revzilla to get my wife fitted and she was an extra small in the C3 even thigh we measured her to be a small. While there I had them check my noggin in an XL. I barely had it on and the salesperson was already shaking her head...too big....she twisted it on my head, raised the back towards the front..etc...it moved ALOT. Ended up with the large which still feels very tight but the fit is correct and snug.

My battle did continue with the liner in the C3. It left a deep mark on my forehead and eventually i would get a headache. Many others had the same mark on the C3 forums etc. I finally fixed that issue this year by taping a mini pad(yes, ultra thin) across the area that was torturing me...:roflblack::roflblack:. It worked and i didn't give a :cus: why..... i passed my little secret onto the schuberth rep who was real embarrassed about my fix....:dontknow:. He sent me a liner from the new S2 to try which hooks up the same way. Thankfully, this did the trick and I am now at peace with my helmet and makes me look forward to riding even more now.

So, if you don't know what your doing size wise, get some help or as Ron has said, your wasting your money for less protection than you think.:lecturef_smilie: Great topic Ron!!:clap:

Having a helmet that fits correctly really makes riding a lot more enjoyable, not to mention safe. There is no way to avoid all possiblity of accident or injury. Simply put, life is hazadous! But taking resonable precaution is .... Well, Reasonable!

Glad you perservered and were not afraid to do, ask, whatever it took to get it right. Once you've owned a properly fitted helmet you become much better at getting the right helmet the 1st time. I've never tried a Schuberth but they do make a great helmet.

And a good point about the sizing chart. Heads and helmets vary enough to where you can't go strictly by the sizing chart. Though usually accurate, trying the helmet on and getting help from a knowledgable person (if that isn't you) is always a good idea.

Great thread, Ron. :clap: I was pleasantly surprised at Daytona, seeing more helmets than I was honestly expecting to. It does seem that those of us on 3 wheels tend to be more protective of ourselves than those on 2 (of course, that could also account for our preference for 3 wheels!) Can't for the life of me figure out bikers not protecting the most expensive thing on their bike...their brain. (Well, maybe that's not true of SOME of them :roflblack:).

My education came from responding to motorcycle accidents while in the fire department.

Rider here, helmet over there, chin strap still together. What's up with that?

Since I rode a motorcycle I wanted to know. Simple answer, helmet TOO BIG! Helmet came off of the rider on initial impact and before rider's head hit the pavement. After seeing this a few times I dumped my size Large helmet for a size Medium (which I thought was WAY TOO TIGHT!) but which the size chart said I should be wearing.

Got used to the medium and realized how stupid I'd been for wearing the helmet I though I should have instead of the one I needed. Just trying to pass along what I've leared hoping to help someone else.

Cavman
03-21-2012, 01:58 AM
Thanks Ron for the update on helmet standards. I didn't know what I didn't know.:dontknow:

BajaRon
03-21-2012, 09:30 AM
Thanks Ron for the update on helmet standards. I didn't know what I didn't know.:dontknow:

It is hard to separate the marketing from value sometimes, especially with a product that people don't know much about (like helmets). But this is the very reason Snell has changed their criteria for the better. The consumer is beginning to get more knowledgable and Snell sees the handwriting on the wall.

There have been several articles written by people who know what they are talking about, and at the risk of committing sacrilidge, have documented the fact that DOT helmets were potentially safer than Snell rated helmets.

That's good for everyone! Knowledge is Power! :thumbup:

daveinva
03-21-2012, 10:12 AM
Great post, Ron. :2thumbs:

Another good rule of thumb: if you can chew gum in your helmet, it's too loose. Your cheeks should be held snug by the fit.

I always look for helmet manufacturers that use plenty of aftermarket padding-- my current favorite Shoei Qwest has five different cheek pad sizes which allowed me to customize the fit for safety and comfort.

Also, I avoid helmet manufacturers that don't make different helmet sizes; some companies have no difference between their helmets other than the amount of padding included. An XXL helmet shouldn't be the same size as a Medium!

BajaRon
03-21-2012, 11:37 AM
Great post, Ron. :2thumbs:

Another good rule of thumb: if you can chew gum in your helmet, it's too loose. Your cheeks should be held snug by the fit.

I always look for helmet manufacturers that use plenty of aftermarket padding-- my current favorite Shoei Qwest has five different cheek pad sizes which allowed me to customize the fit for safety and comfort.

Also, I avoid helmet manufacturers that don't make different helmet sizes; some companies have no difference between their helmets other than the amount of padding included. An XXL helmet shouldn't be the same size as a Medium!

Good point! Some really cheezy helmet manufactures used 1 shell for all sizes XS~XXL and padded to fit. But those helmets are going away because they can not pass the required safety standards. Some helmets have no rating at all so beware of that. If it is REALLY cheap (and not a closeout), beware!

Most manufactures use at least 2 shell sizes to cover XS~XXL. One shell covers either to size Medium or size Large (depending on the manufacturer) and the 2nd shell covering up to the XXL or XXXL size.

If you wear a helmet at the large end of the shell size (Less Padding) you're probably ok with one of these, depending on the quality of the components. But if you're at the small end of the spectrum (thick padding) it's not good to have a shell that has to be heavily padded to fit your head. It's call the 'Bubble Head' effect.

Padding is only for comfort and to keep the helmet snug on your head. More padding definitly does not give you better protection, after a point, it actually decreases protection.

More expensive helmets will usually run no more than 2 sizes per shell size. 1 Sell size will serve XS & Small, the next shell will serve Medium & Large, and so on.

Arai uses 5 different shell sizes - 1 shell for XS, 1 Shell for Small, 1 Shell for Medium & Large, 1 Shell for XL and XXL and 1 Shell for XXXL.

Dar
03-21-2012, 05:08 PM
I had a Scorpion EXO 900. The largest I could get. It was too tight on my cheeks. Carved a lot of the foam out in these areas and that helped some, but not enough. I now have a different flip helmet size XXXL. It also is tight on check areas but not as bad. I can feel that it is too big in other areas even thou I have to spread it open pretty good to get over my lower face area. Guess I got a triangle head and no neck. I can actually make my shoulders touch my ears:roflblack:. Anybody know of a brand that I may need to look into?

NancysToy
03-21-2012, 08:45 PM
I had a Scorpion EXO 900. The largest I could get. It was too tight on my cheeks. Carved a lot of the foam out in these areas and that helped some, but not enough. I now have a different flip helmet size XXXL. It also is tight on check areas but not as bad. I can feel that it is too big in other areas even thou I have to spread it open pretty good to get over my lower face area. Guess I got a triangle head and no neck. I can actually make my shoulders touch my ears:roflblack:. Anybody know of a brand that I may need to look into?
Maybe I shouldn't put in a plug for a particular brand here, but in your case I'd sure look at the Arai line. They offer many sizes of cheek pads, and in some models even the temple pads can be adjusted. A trained and experienced dealer or distributor should be able to fit you. Both my wife and I take something other than the standard helmet. I have a problem with both shape and cheek pads that are too thick. Nobody but Arai has been able to help. The Arai folks fit me perfectly in about 20 minutes, swapping liners, helmet models, and cheek pads until they got it nailed. I'd be surprised if they couldn't find a way to fit you, too.