PDA

View Full Version : TricLEDS 3rd and 4th brakelights installed

Bob Denman
03-17-2012, 11:45 AM
:ohyea::ohyea: This morning I tackled the "Brakelight project"... I had purchased some from TricLEDS while my bike was in the shop, and now it was time... :shocked:
Four bolts across the trunk and two in each saddlebag... How does that panel come out??? :gaah: Screw up the courage and give a twist and a yank, and that's out fo the way...
Test fit...:thumbup:
Alcohol swab things down good to get ready for the self-stick lights CHECK!
:yikes:Put thie lights in place after your hands quit shaking... :pray: :thumbup:
Fourth ligth looks more complicated, so I'll just fish the wiring harness out and WHAT THE HELL?!?!?!?!? :shocked::gaah: That harness is so buried that it took ten minutes of looking to find it! Go get the MIssus for more eyeballs on target and better hands...
Found it... Got a wire around the back of it to hopefully keep from losing it in the bowels of the bike...:pray: Stab a screwdriver into the latch to release it and then pull until I'm sure that the right side taillight is coming my way!!!
One it's out, plug the extension into the piece that I can grab and now we fight with it for an hour to get the whole thing plugged back into the hidden half down in the bike! :gaah:
Goop up the spot for the fourth light with primer, wait SIX minutes and stick it down...
Plug things together as per the instructions :pray: Tunrn on the bike and hit the brakes... no extra running lights but now I've got enough brakelight back there for Helen Keller to see!! :shocked:
I'm guessing that I didn't follow the instructions for the wiring... :gaah: But I wanted more brakelights more than I wanted more running lights anyway... :opps:
Now I've got to go drink a green beer or three and puke! :thumbup: One more project accomplished!!

CyncySpyder
03-17-2012, 12:30 PM
:wrong::nopic::nopic::nopic::wrong:

Arr MiHardies
03-17-2012, 12:58 PM
Yeah. You need to tap two wires to get both running and brake lights.
I found the connector much easier to get to when I removed the tail light. I actually HAD to remove the tail light because my hands are too big I couldnt get the harness connected in. Just a few more screws to remove the mud flap and a few on each light made the job much easier.

Bob Denman
03-17-2012, 01:43 PM
Do you remember what you had to do to get the running lights up and...running? :D
I ran:
Red to Orange
Yellow to White
Black to Black
I figured that black was ground, so the other two hot leads would be for running and brake lights...:gaah:
What else did you tap into and with what wires? :shocked:
I yelled for the Missus because of my bearpaws We ended up with all kinds of grabbing tools stuffed into that little hole! :yikes:

Arr MiHardies
03-17-2012, 02:17 PM
I don't have the rear running lights. Mine were run to the fends as You recall, it the wiring is the same. If I remember right, the two colors were brown and red with black ground. Double check with Reggy or your documentation though.

Arr MiHardies
03-17-2012, 02:30 PM
Stupid autocorrect.

NancysToy
03-17-2012, 06:16 PM
Do you remember what you had to do to get the running lights up and...running? :D
I ran:
Red to Orange
Yellow to White
Black to Black
I figured that black was ground, so the other two hot leads would be for running and brake lights...:gaah:
What else did you tap into and with what wires? :shocked:
I yelled for the Missus because of my bearpaws We ended up with all kinds of grabbing tools stuffed into that little hole! :yikes:
Orange = running lights
White = brake lights
Black = ground

kevorama
03-18-2012, 12:00 AM
Bob, if I remember right, you have to tap into the #2, #4 and #5 port. That's more reliable than the color of the wire. I'm attaching some pics of when I installed mine. Which was yesterday. I have both running and brake. In this pic, the ports run from L to R as 1 - 5. Earlier versions ran off of the right harness. The most recent ones run off of the left one. I have more pics if you want me to send them.

Port 2 - Orange (maybe)
Port 4 - Striped or Spin the Wheel
Port 5 - Almost always Black

Bob Denman
03-18-2012, 04:44 PM
:wrong::nopic::nopic::nopic::wrong:

Sorry!
:opps:

Cavman
03-18-2012, 06:03 PM
Remember the coat hanger? Well, I used the coat hanger to hooked around the back of the Spyder's plug while trying to plug the provided harness into the original plug. The plug gasket falls off, I have to retrieve that and put it back on. Then put the hanger back on the plug holding that while I plug in the harness. Now, I've smaller hands but I only have two of them. I also used some long hemostats in the process that helped a lot in plugging the provided harness.

Arr MiHardies
03-18-2012, 07:30 PM
Like I said. I found it much easier to just remove the lights.

SteveMac
03-18-2012, 07:55 PM
Sorry!
:opps:

Look at Bob Denman go!

You will be a master modifier before Spring is over Bob! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

kevorama
03-18-2012, 08:47 PM
Bob, I found my deck lid more difficult to shut after this installation. Did you find the same? I didn't think that I moved any part that played in the adjustment of the latching mechanism. Your thoughts?

Bob Denman
03-19-2012, 07:06 AM
You will be a master modifier before Spring is over Bob! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

:opps: Well; a Master Somethin'... :roflblack:
It actually was the Missus who had the hands to get things hooked together...

Kev,
No; my trunk latched down about the same as it ever did...