PDA

View Full Version : LOST PANEL

Questions
03-16-2012, 10:23 AM
Has anyone else lost their RIGHT side radiator cover. I just lost my second one. All three grommets are still in place. We had a 20- 25 mph wind from the right side. I know it was put on properly because I had already lost one panel. If anyone has a solution to keeping them on, please tell me.

bullant12
03-16-2012, 10:50 AM
I know it was put on properly because I had already lost one panel. :hun::hun::hun:

Make sure that the tab on the upper side facing back connects to the body of the vehicle. I lost one and never found it, second one fell on the way to Spyderfest last year but felt it falling and got it back. Lamont and others helped me make sure how to connect the panel correctly and it hasn't fallen since...:pray:

BTW...:welcome:

bikeguy
03-16-2012, 11:11 AM
I lost my right side panel the day after I took delivery of the RT but I haven't had a problem since I glued the grommets in place. Besides keeping the grommets in place, the glue seems to keep them from distorting so they provide a firmer seat for the panel. Lamonster posted a fix for the problem using high strength velcro but I was unable to find it.

Cotton

eddieshep999
03-16-2012, 11:53 AM
Ive posted this ref the loose panels and my fix

See my gromet fix

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?31559-2011-RT-Upper-Left-Panel-Screw-Problem

Securing the Panels

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?26434-Panel-flew-off

Hope this helps

Eddie Sheppard
Reading UK

Spyder – RT-S SES (AUTO 2010 Model)

List of Mods :-
Added Zuno 660 - Garmin kit as supplied on the Spyder RT Limited
Digital Voltmeter and Digital Clock to replace Fuel and Temp gauge – Fuel and Temp now
displayed in Cluster Display
LED Bulbs Reversing Lights,Front position lights
HMT - Brake Light
LED – Running lights
LED - Mud Flap lights
Rear extended Mud Flap
LED Light in Rear Trunk
Elka Shocks Stage 1 +R – Front and Rear
Shock Covers
Track Rod Covers
Spyderpops – Missing Belt Grard & BumpSkid
BaJaRon – Custom Ignition Wire Set + NGK 2 Iridium DCPR8EIX. Spark Plugs
K&N Air Filter
Sport Tall Wide Clear Windshield – Cut down to 24” High
Chrome 2011 Front Lower Wind deflecors
Utopia Backrest
S/S Seat Prop
S/S Handlebar Weights
S/S Grills both sides matching
Bottom Panel S/S Protection
S/S stronger Funk Lid brackets
S/S Bracket for RBNS Hood for Zumo 660 GPS + TourTech Lockable Mount
Mirrors Zipped tied for added potection
Rubber Tank protector on glove box
Grip Puppies
Switch in Swith Cluster for Manual Fan operation
Power Socket in Switch Cluster and at Rear passenger Handrail
Rear Speaker Switch for passenger On/OFF
Upgraded Front/Rear J&M Speakers
Bluetooth Via Sony transmitter TMR- BT10 - On board Radio to Sena SMH10 Headsets

Bob Denman
03-16-2012, 12:16 PM
Eddie,
Do you have any pictures available of your repairs??

StanProff
03-16-2012, 01:31 PM
Has anyone else lost their RIGHT side radiator cover. I just lost my second one. All three grommets are still in place. We had a 20- 25 mph wind from the right side. I know it was put on properly because I had already lost one panel. If anyone has a solution to keeping them on, please tell me.

mine has never poped off of my 2010 RT but for a preventive measure I just used tie wraps and linked 3 or 4 together and tied one end to the spyder and the other to the covers. you can pop them off and just let them dangle when servicing and that's it. If they were to come off while underway they can't go far.

gmcgarrity
03-16-2012, 06:14 PM
Get Baker Air Wings and the problem is solved
they no longer can fall off and you get added cooling in the summer heat in the winter

GeoffCee
03-18-2012, 04:59 PM
I was determined not to lose either of mine, so I tethered them.
Simple but effective. :thumbup:

sinkhole
03-19-2012, 04:10 PM
Make sure that the plastic latch at the front of these panels has fully engaged the radiator housing frame. This will prevent the ram air pressure from popping them out of the grommets.

Spyder#353
03-21-2012, 02:31 PM
Don't ever use Armoral or anything like it. I did some work on a guys RT and he had sprayed Armoral all over the rubber on the RT inside and out so it would look like new. I did notisted how easy the covers slid on and off. Well on the way to deliver the RT the right cover went flying.:banghead: Went back for it didn't look new anymore. I well never lubricate those grommits. Leave them dry. But superglue the grommits to the bike:thumbup:

kinggeek
03-21-2012, 02:53 PM
Velcro:yes:

easyspyderrider
03-21-2012, 04:10 PM
E=kinggeek;429740]Velcro:yes:[/QUOTE]
I lost two left side panel right after dealer changed out grommets. bro replaced both. I used 1 in.wide by 2 in long on the top right corner of the panel. have not lost one since