PDA

View Full Version : Rear suspension

bluestratos
03-16-2012, 09:43 AM
How can I tell if my rear suspension is actully working when I hit the switch to change it. The bar graph goes up and down but I cannot hear anything or feel any difference.

On a simular note, I assume that the air valve I see under the seat is the manual way to adjust the suspension in the rear?

Thanks for any help,

Randy

NancysToy
03-16-2012, 12:27 PM
As Roger said, the RTS/LTD has to be running and in gear for the ACS to work. You may or may not be able to hear the compressor when it raises and the solenoid valve releasing air when it lowers. The best way is to have someone else measure from the rear fender to the ground at different settings. A few inches of difference should be evident between high and low.

The air pressure can be adjusted at the Schrader valve under the seat, but for the RTS/LTD that pressure will change as soon as the Spyder is started and put into gear. Use the switch.

Bob Denman
03-16-2012, 01:44 PM
Roger,
Since I'm now down to the ACS and the Chrome wheels to add; Just how difficult is it to tack this on to the A&C? :shocked:
I'm getting there; pretty soon the only thing lacking will be the VIN denoting it as an "S" model... :thumbup:

CyncySpyder
03-16-2012, 04:09 PM
How can I tell if my rear suspension is actully working when I hit the switch to change it. The bar graph goes up and down but I cannot hear anything or feel any difference.

On a simular note, I assume that the air valve I see under the seat is the manual way to adjust the suspension in the rear?

Thanks for any help,

Randy

As others have stated, your Spyder has to be running & in gear for the air system to kick in. Ive found, on Teds Red Sled, that if I start the Spyder, while sitting on the seat, right foot depressing the brake peddle, & shift the Spyder into 1st gear, I keep my eyes fixed on the image in one of the mirrors & as I press the console button to go from either firm to soft or vise versa, you will notice the angle in your mirror will change. Thats proof that your automatic air suspension is working. You can easily do this by yourself & without having to measure anything. Not that the other suggestions are in any way wrong or incorrect, I just found this easiest for me to verify that the air suspension is in fact, working. Hope these suggestions provide the information that you are seeking :thumbup:

NancysToy
03-16-2012, 05:52 PM
also, I don't think you can manually set an auto-equipped Spyder.
You can, of course, fill or relieve some pressure, but as soon as you kick it into gear the previous instrument panel setting is applied if the system senses tan operating height sensor.
Exactly!

Bob Denman
03-17-2012, 08:16 AM
Oh the VIN renumbering thing?
My ex brother-in-law Milo could probably have a new set & paperwork made for you.
You want it to be maybe a 2012 S?

ort maybe a 2014 pre-production?
I think that if I hung out with you long enough I'd get to learn how Pennsylvania treats its convicts! :shocked: :roflblack:

2014??? Hmmm.... :ohyea:

bluestratos
03-17-2012, 01:38 PM
That is what I thought but even running and in gear I could not tell. I will try the "watch the mirror" trick or if absolutely necessary will ask the wife to measure (she will not sit on the bike under any circumstances, lol). I also knew the valve under the seat is redundant but wanted to be sure my old memory worked.
Thanks for the help :-)

Questions
03-18-2012, 06:04 AM
The engine must run and in gear and park brake must be off before the air compressor will work. The best way to check if its working is to start the bike put is it first gear and deactivate the park brake. change the setting for the suspension to just over half setting to max.ask someone to get on the bike with you and you should hear the compressor pumping,when it stops ask the person to get off and you should hear the valve opening to release air to set the pressure for your weight.