PDA

View Full Version : need HELP with rear suspension 2011rt limited

spyderrock
03-15-2012, 11:11 PM
Hey friends I finally got the bike out of storage tonight, after running it for 20 min the rear suspension feels like it is not getting any air in it. There is a lot of bounce in the back. Is there something I should do or know about after it has been sitting for 6 months. Any help or suggestions would greatly be appreciated and thanks for your time.

CyncySpyder
03-16-2012, 12:45 AM

currin20fan
03-16-2012, 05:15 AM

OH MY!!!:shocked: Teddy rides and reads too. What a wonder dog!!

NorthStar
03-16-2012, 06:11 AM
Was your RT in gear when you attempted to adjust the air suspension? If not, nothing will happen. (Ask me why I know this.....:opps:)

This is directly from the Owner's Manual.

Adjusting Suspension
(when Vehicle is Stopped)
1. Start engine.
2. Apply brakes.
3. Release parking brake.
4. Engage gearbox in gear (first or reverse)

NancysToy
03-16-2012, 08:01 AM
The easiest way to see if the automatic air suspension is working is with another person. Start the Spder, put it in gear, and lower the suspension all the way. You may feel it move and hear the solenoid valve release, but have someone measure to the rear fender from the floor or ground. Next, raise the suspension all the way. The compressor should run and the Spyder should rise a few inches. Have it measured to the fender again. If the measurements are a few inches different, the ACS is working.

To test the shock itself, push down hard on the rear trunk or seat, then let go. The Spyder should rise quickly, then settle down. If it bounces a few times, the rear shock is shot, and needs to be replaced. Same scenario if you get a pogo-stick effect when you pass over a sharp bump. You will get a big bounce, but you shouldn't get a series of big bounces from a single bump.

spyderrock
03-16-2012, 08:26 AM
Was your RT in gear when you attempted to adjust the air suspension? If not, nothing will happen. (Ask me why I know this.....:opps:)

This is directly from the Owner's Manual.

Adjusting Suspension
(when Vehicle is Stopped)
1. Start engine.
2. Apply brakes.
3. Release parking brake.
4. Engage gearbox in gear (first or reverse)

Hey Northstar, the bike was in neutral I will try it thismorning while its in gear thanks

spyderrock
03-16-2012, 08:28 AM
The easiest way to see if the automatic air suspension is working is with another person. Start the Spder, put it in gear, and lower the suspension all the way. You may feel it move and hear the solenoid valve release, but have someone measure to the rear fender from the floor or ground. Next, raise the suspension all the way. The compressor should run and the Spyder should rise a few inches. Have it measured to the fender again. If the measurements are a few inches different, the ACS is working.

To test the shock itself, push down hard on the rear trunk or seat, then let go. The Spyder should rise quickly, then settle down. If it bounces a few times, the rear shock is shot, and needs to be replaced. Same scenario if you get a pogo-stick effect when you pass over a sharp bump. You will get a big bounce, but you shouldn't get a series of big bounces from a single bump.

Hi Nancystoy I will check this out as well, I have to wash the bike and while I have the back end apart doing the hitch install I will inspect the rear suspension. And thanks to the others for all the info what great people here.