PDA

View Full Version : FYI Oil Leak at Water Pump Shaft

frank3
03-15-2012, 07:38 AM
Have my 2010 RT-S in for 24K service and while it's there, the dealer is fixing the oil leak at the water pump shaft that several here have experienced. After having BRP send them 2 replacement shafts, the RT is still in a state of disrepair. Seems the replcement shafts were made wrong (extended shoulder on the threaded end of the shaft). BRP has told my dealer that they are destroying all of their present stock and having the shafts remade. Dealer thought (based on conversation with BRP), that the new shaft would arrive Tuesday 3,13,2012 but it's hasn't made it yet. Just thought everyone might like the info in case your Spyder if suffering the same oil leak.

frank3
03-16-2012, 07:11 AM
BRP has now informed dealer that the new shafts will not be completed untill April 2, 2012. That will make it 1 month without my ride. Can't blame dealer. Problems like this seem to be a part of owning the RT. I choose to purchase it, choose to keep it and now I guess I'll wait.:banghead:

TuckMiddle
03-16-2012, 08:09 AM
BRP has now informed dealer that the new shafts will not be completed untill April 2, 2012. That will make it 1 month without my ride. Can't blame dealer. Problems like this seem to be a part of owning the RT. I choose to purchase it, choose to keep it and now I guess I'll wait.:banghead:

When my water pump oil seal went bad, BRP sent 12 pieces to the dealer in case anything else was not quite right. Admirable thought, but it took about 10 days to get the 12 piece. Good fopr BRP, I guess, saving money and not replacing the whole pump, but pretty lousy way to treat a customer. The seal was the only piece needed. It was a tiny leak, and took the dealer 3 visits to confirm that it was the anti-freeze with water in it, not oil with anti-freeze. I kept riding the bike, as I don't think the total leak was over 2 or 3 ounces. That is over, but now the canister and fumes has been an issue fir 6 or 8 weeks.

We all share your pain, but the shaft being the leak culprit is a thing I had't seen mentiioned on SL.

Tuck

frank3
03-16-2012, 09:00 AM
Dealer tells me that in order to replace the seal the shaft must be removed and replaced due to the fit requirement for the shaft. Says once the shaft is pressed into place, it can't be reused. Don't know if this is true or not but trust my dealer. I think the water pump is built into the motor and it might be difficult to replace the pump without affecting the engine block. I wouldn't even think of asking my dealer to try to swap parts with his floor model but you would think someone at BRP would be responsible to check the deminisions on parts when they are manfactured reather than relying on a dealer to "try" it out. This is clearly a quality sanfu at BRP and not the first I've experienced. But like I said, I continue to ride the Spyder and at my age, I'm not prepared to return to 2 wheel or a rear trike kit. So--I guess it's on me.