PDA

View Full Version : First Long Distance Ride/Ride of the Season

Bytemi
03-14-2012, 06:43 AM
Since Viginia is having such wonderful weather this weekend, I was thinking that this would be a great weekend for both my first of the season and my first long distance ride. My father wants to see my bike so I was thinking I would ride up to West Virginia to see him. A 189 mile ride one way, avoiding highways.

Is there anything special I need to do for my Can Am before the first ride of the season? She has been sitting in a garage since October. I started her at least once every month to make sure the battery didn't go dead. I am thinking that I only need to give her a bath and then we will be ready to go. But I could be wrong, I have been riding for less than a year and I am still a little tentative.

MarkLawson
03-14-2012, 06:49 AM
Check all fluids, air pressures & inspect tires before leaving. If you're due an oil change, go ahead and do it. Make sure all lights work properly. You might also invest in a good battery tender for storage. That will save your battery much better than starting it monthly to check it.

Also, make sure your riding skills are up to the trip. The winter months can leave them rusty.

Enjoy your trip. :thumbup:

arntufun
03-14-2012, 06:52 AM
:agree: PLUS......IMO I would take her out for a short run to make sure all is well before I would just get on it and go on a trip. :thumbup:

Bytemi
03-14-2012, 07:27 AM
Check all fluids, air pressures & inspect tires before leaving. If you're due an oil change, go ahead and do it. Make sure all lights work properly. You might also invest in a good battery tender for storage. That will save your battery much better than starting it monthly to check it.

Also, make sure your riding skills are up to the trip. The winter months can leave them rusty.

Enjoy your trip. :thumbup:

Thank you, I didn't think about the air pressure and fluids. I did inspect the tires an they look good. I only have 2,245 miles on her, so I don't think I need an oil change yet. Where do I get a battery tender? I don't have a lot of experience. I purchased the Spyder with 520 mile. I rode around my neighborhood for another 500 (and I mean circling a block, over and over again). The remaning miles are from riding to work and riding within my county on the back roads practicing. I also took the APEC Spyder class and didn't have any problems.

I told my father he would have to wait until I was confortable with the long trip. I think that I am ready for the trip and I won't be alone my husband will be on his Triumph following me, so if I get in trouble, help won't be far away.

Bytemi
03-14-2012, 07:32 AM
:agree: PLUS......IMO I would take her out for a short run to make sure all is well before I would just get on it and go on a trip. :thumbup:

Test ride, got it. :) Am I testing my skills, the bike or both? Yeah I know both. Is it possible I forgot everything over the Winter? Is it a new learning process at the beginning of each season?

MarkLawson
03-14-2012, 07:35 AM
This is an excellent battery charger. It is fully automatic, meaning set it and forget it. It runs the battery through a monthly charging cycle that maximizes the batteries potential. I have three of them, one for each bike. It is also from one of the forum sponsors.

http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=2737&str=0

They have a host of different chargers in case you want to look around.

docdoru
03-14-2012, 07:36 AM
Where do I get a battery tender? I don't have a lot of experience.
http://www.amazon.com/Xtreme-Pulse-Battery-Maintainer-Charger/dp/B0030G7FW2 :doorag:

Bob Denman
03-14-2012, 07:36 AM
Good to hear from you again!! :2thumbs: The advice you've seen here pretty much covers what you need, so I'm just saying "Hi!" :thumbup:, and you've been missed...

Bytemi
03-14-2012, 07:48 AM
Good to hear from you again!! :2thumbs: The advice you've seen here pretty much covers what you need, so I'm just saying "Hi!" :thumbup:, and you've been missed...

Hi Bob, nice to hear from you. Life gets in the way sometimes, but I can't wait to get back out there. I don't plan on disapearing again and you know I talk (type) a lot. I hope you are prepared.

arntufun
03-14-2012, 07:52 AM
Thank you, I didn't think about the air pressure and fluids. I did inspect the tires an they look good. I only have 2,245 miles on her, so I don't think I need an oil change yet. Where do I get a battery tender? I don't have a lot of experience. I purchased the Spyder with 520 mile. I rode around my neighborhood for another 500 (and I mean circling a block, over and over again). The remaning miles are from riding to work and riding within my county on the back roads practicing. I also took the APEC Spyder class and didn't have any problems.

I told my father he would have to wait until I was confortable with the long trip. I think that I am ready for the trip and I won't be alone my husband will be on his Triumph following me, so if I get in trouble, help won't be far away.

I know you bought the bike with 520 miles on it. Have you had the 600 miles service done or any other service ??? The oil should have been changed at 600 miles and your Spyder looked over checking all fluids. You also have a 08, have the service updates been done ???

Bytemi
03-14-2012, 07:53 AM
This is an excellent battery charger. It is fully automatic, meaning set it and forget it. It runs the battery through a monthly charging cycle that maximizes the batteries potential. I have three of them, one for each bike. It is also from one of the forum sponsors.

http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=2737&str=0

They have a host of different chargers in case you want to look around.

Thank you Mark, I will take a look around. Supporting sponsors is important and so my battery life. I appreciate the advice and help.

Bytemi
03-14-2012, 07:54 AM
I know you bought the bike with 520 miles on it. Have you had the 600 miles service done or any other service ??? The oil should have been changed at 600 miles and your Spyder looked over checking all fluids.

The guy I bought the bike from had all the service done before I purchased it. I did take it Colemans and they said I was good. Did I miss something.

arntufun
03-14-2012, 07:58 AM
The guy I bought the bike from had all the service done before I purchased it. I did take it Colemans and they said I was good. Did I miss something.

If you took it to a dealer and they ran your vin and said you were good, then your good. Test ride the Spyder before you go and enjoy your trip. Take pictures and post them when you return. :thumbup:

boborgera
03-14-2012, 08:05 AM
Hi, Have fun on your ride,
And remember your skills might be rusty over the winter, But also most other drivers
bike spotting skills are going to be rusty also, What with them not seeing many bikes on the road all winter.
So just ride your ride and be careful out there. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
03-14-2012, 08:45 AM
Hi Bob, nice to hear from you. Life gets in the way sometimes, but I can't wait to get back out there. I don't plan on disapearing again and you know I talk (type) a lot. I hope you are prepared.

:2thumbs:
All set!
:2thumbs:

ARtraveler
03-14-2012, 11:24 AM
The above posts have you covered. Enjoy your ride. That will put another 400 or so "experience miles" under your belt.

Bytemi
03-14-2012, 12:34 PM
The above posts have you covered. Enjoy your ride. That will put another 400 or so "experience miles" under your belt.

Experience, yes that is very important. Its hard to belive that last year this time I had never been on a motorcycle as the driver and here I am getting ready for a 400 mile trip. I hope that I am up for it.

zrc
03-14-2012, 12:54 PM
I hadn't ridden in 6 years, I got my spyder delivered, rode to the local love's to put gas in it (7 miles) the long way through slow traffic, then interstated 3 miles to my exit and 7 miles home. 1 hour later I rode to Cleveland, TN (9 miles via interstate). Then on to Chattanooga, TN via interstate (another 27 miles), then I figured screw it, and drove to Birmingham, AL to see my Girlfriend. (Around another 132 miles). 5 hours after getting my spyder I was almost 200 miles away from home and having a blast.

You got this covered Sister, I have faith in you!

[Edit]: Edited to protect the ignorant. AKA me.

arntufun
03-14-2012, 01:08 PM
I hadn't ridden in 6 years, I got my spyder delivered, rode to the local love's to put gas in it (7 miles) the long way through slow traffic, then interstated 3 miles to my exit and 7 miles home. 1 hour later I rode to Cleveland, TN (9 miles via interstate). Then on to Chattanooga, TN via interstate (another 27 miles), then I figured screw it, and drove to Birmingham, AL to see my Girlfriend. (Around another 132 miles). 5 hours after getting my spyder I was almost 200 miles away from home and having a blast.

You got this covered brother, I have faith in you!

I don't think she is a "brother"........... she's a "sister". :roflblack:
:roflblack:

STUNMUN
03-14-2012, 01:10 PM
Since Viginia is having such wonderful weather this weekend, I was thinking that this would be a great weekend for both my first of the season and my first long distance ride. My father wants to see my bike so I was thinking I would ride up to West Virginia to see him. A 189 mile ride one way, avoiding highways.

Is there anything special I need to do for my Can Am before the first ride of the season? She has been sitting in a garage since October. I started her at least once every month to make sure the battery didn't go dead. I am thinking that I only need to give her a bath and then we will be ready to go. But I could be wrong, I have been riding for less than a year and I am still a little tentative.

In my 2011 RT operators guide is a very good pre-ride checklist on page 106. Don't know the year or model you have but you should have a operators guide.

Bytemi
03-14-2012, 01:12 PM
I don't think she is a "brother"........... she's a "sister". :roflblack:
:roflblack:

You would be right, I am a sister, but I was going to let that one go.

zrc
03-14-2012, 01:16 PM
Sorry :(

I edited the post to make it better! Being a n00b I didnt see anything gender specific except about the vehicle :)

So my ASSumption worked out, err not...

Bytemi
03-14-2012, 01:17 PM

You got this covered Sister, I have faith in you!

You can ask Bob, I am very tentative about what I can and can't do. He had to listen to all the stories and insecurity. But he also got the happy stories afterwards so I think he considered it a wash.

Bytemi
03-14-2012, 01:20 PM
Sorry :(

I edited the post to make it better! Being a n00b I didnt see anything gender specific except about the vehicle :)

So my ASSumption worked out, err not...

Your right, I changed by Avatar to a picture of me until I lose my n00b status.

zrc
03-14-2012, 01:20 PM
You can ask Bob, I am very tentative about what I can and can't do. He had to listen to all the stories and insecurity. But he also got the happy stories afterwards so I think he considered it a wash.

Ah, I forget to be tentative most of the time, I actually was able to get the front left tire off the ground taking a turn on lunch, then the nanny attacked me. But it was cool for about .35 seconds, I was 2 wheeling on my 3 wheeler.

arntufun
03-14-2012, 01:28 PM
Your right, I changed by Avatar to a picture of me until I lose my n00b status.

One things for sure.......... you have one of the coolest screen names on this website !!!! :firstplace:

Bytemi
03-14-2012, 01:34 PM
One things for sure.......... you have one of the coolest screen names on this website !!!! :firstplace:

Don't know if you can tell from the picture, but I am a computer geek. My favorite saying when frustrated is Bite Me and I am Italian. So Byte Mi seem appropriate. :D

zrc
03-14-2012, 01:40 PM
Being a Former IT manager I respect that! Now Im in chemical engineering, how did I get here. Anyway, I was refering to MY n00b status not yours, I havent been around long, so I made a poor thinking in refering to you as "brother" so I was admonishing me! You obviously have been around here more than me, just not since I got on and started plaguing the boards like a stain you cant tide pen out.

And the Screen name is fantabulous!

Bytemi
03-14-2012, 02:14 PM
Being a Former IT manager I respect that! Now Im in chemical engineering, how did I get here. Anyway, I was refering to MY n00b status not yours, I havent been around long, so I made a poor thinking in refering to you as "brother" so I was admonishing me! You obviously have been around here more than me, just not since I got on and started plaguing the boards like a stain you cant tide pen out.

And the Screen name is fantabulous!

I am actually pretty new to this board too. I was on another board, that is where all my OH GOD, HOW DO I DO THIS POSTS are. Thats how I met Bob and he pulled me over to this board because it has more members and is more active.

SteveMac
03-14-2012, 02:20 PM
I am actually pretty new to this board too. I was on another board, that is where all my OH GOD, HOW DO I DO THIS POSTS are. Thats how I met Bob and he pulled me over to this board because it has more members and is more active.

Good choice. This is a great board full of great folks!

:):):)

zrc
03-14-2012, 02:33 PM

Gotcha, this does seem to be the most active community, I found it just before I purchased my spyder. So I have been a member of the faithful reading community since then. I dont have enough time to ride, read various boards, work and sleep ;)

So I hang out here and disturb the peace :)

arntufun
03-14-2012, 02:41 PM
Don't know if you can tell from the picture, but I am a computer geek. My favorite saying when frustrated is Bite Me and I am Italian. So Byte Mi seem appropriate. :D

From the looks of your photo you just got out of high school, How can you be a computer geek already ???
:clap::firstplace::clap: I will take a bow now !!! :bowdown:

Bob Denman
03-14-2012, 02:42 PM
I actually considered it an honor... :2thumbs: to have the chance to "see" you grow into this sport... :thumbup:

zrc
03-14-2012, 02:49 PM
Bob and Randy are awesome :)

Yazz
03-14-2012, 07:37 PM

Good advice above about getting you and your Spyder ready for a road trip.

Want to tell you what an old biker friend told me before my first long solo ride...

"Enjoy the ryde, relish every minute of it, rain or shine. Don't worry about a thing... just enjoy the ryde. If you worry about anything, you will bring it to yourself... just enjoy the ryde."

Not going to say how many years ago I was given that advice, but it works!

You would be right, I am a sister, but I was going to let that one go.

You're my type of Sister! :2thumbs:

SpydherLuv
03-14-2012, 07:59 PM
In addition to doing a pre-check on your :spyder2::

Since this is your first long distance ride, I would suggest taking plenty of layers of clothing - especially a scarf or balaclava, warm gloves, and long johns or riding pants.
You might also want to bring the following:

Water - even if the weather is cool, you can still get dehydrated.
Sunscreen
Camera - you're bound to see something awesome on your way.
Bottle of champagne or sparkling cider to celebrate your trip when you get there. :cheers:

Have a fun and safe trip!

SPYDERGUY1
03-14-2012, 08:20 PM
Enjoy the Ryde. Hope it is a safe one and quality time spent with your family. Am still waiting for my first ryde of the season, more important, looking EXTREMELY FORWARD to my OREGON trip and stopping in to see my parents, as well.

Bytemi
03-15-2012, 08:20 AM
From the looks of your photo you just got out of high school, How can you be a computer geek already ???
:clap::firstplace::clap: I will take a bow now !!! :bowdown:

Oh No, not even close. I am 36 years old. That picture was taken about 2 months ago. But thank you for the compliment.

Bytemi
03-15-2012, 08:22 AM
I actually considered it an honor... :2thumbs: to have the chance to "see" you grow into this sport... :thumbup:

I consider it an honor to have such a supportive mentor to help me through. :clap::yes:

Bytemi
03-15-2012, 08:25 AM
Good advice above about getting you and your Spyder ready for a road trip.

Want to tell you what an old biker friend told me before my first long solo ride...

"Enjoy the ryde, relish every minute of it, rain or shine. Don't worry about a thing... just enjoy the ryde. If you worry about anything, you will bring it to yourself... just enjoy the ryde."

Not going to say how many years ago I was given that advice, but it works!

You're my type of Sister! :2thumbs:

The Spyder has given me back so much that I thought that I had lost. I can never truely express my graditute to Can Am for giving me back something that was taken from me. I do enjoy the ryde. You have no idea. :2excited:

Bytemi
03-15-2012, 08:30 AM
In addition to doing a pre-check on your :spyder2::

Since this is your first long distance ride, I would suggest taking plenty of layers of clothing - especially a scarf or balaclava, warm gloves, and long johns or riding pants.
You might also want to bring the following:

Water - even if the weather is cool, you can still get dehydrated.
Sunscreen
Camera - you're bound to see something awesome on your way.
Bottle of champagne or sparkling cider to celebrate your trip when you get there. :cheers:

Have a fun and safe trip!

Great advice, I do have riding pants and I plan on layer an tank top with a t-shirt, plus my riding jacket and gloves and buff for my head. I will make sure to get pictures and post them when I return on Sunday. I am nervous and a little scared, but this is going to be so much fun! I can't wait to stop in Middleburge and park my Spyder next to all the Harleys at the biker diner. Oh the looks I will get. I have been waiting for this moment.

Bytemi
03-15-2012, 08:31 AM
Enjoy the Ryde. Hope it is a safe one and quality time spent with your family. Am still waiting for my first ryde of the season, more important, looking EXTREMELY FORWARD to my OREGON trip and stopping in to see my parents, as well.

My dad was very nervous about me riding a motorcycle, I don't think he truely understand what a Can Am is. I am hoping this trip and showing him the motorcycle and my skills will help him feel better about it.

bitsy224m
03-15-2012, 08:51 AM
HAVE A GREAT TRIP...AND DO TAKE YOUR CAMERA....I TAKE MINE EVERYTIME I RIDE....I AM THINKING OF TAKING A SHORT LONG TRIP ALSO THIS WEEKEND....380 MILES.....AND SO I HAVE BEEN OUT RIDING FOR THE PAST WEEK...GETTING MY RIDING SKILLS TUNED UP.....AND MY HEAD IN THE THINKING AND WATCHING OUT FOR OTHER VEHICLES AND ANIMALS OUT THERE......SO RIDE SAFE...HAVE A GREAT TIME.....::spyder2: