PDA

View Full Version : Key will not turn in the ignition

JCSMOKE
03-13-2012, 04:10 PM
Ok so I have all of the parts to put the bike back together and I took the day off to get a bunch of work done. Long story short the ignition barrel that the key goes into was not pulling the cord when I was trying to open the seat to get at the innards so with half the bike torn down I had just enough room to get a bent bit of metal down to the mechanism that locks the seat and I got it released. Today I was trying to figure that bit out and I was turning the key to see what was not happening or maybe what was happening when the thing just kind of locked up on me. Now I have the ability to put the key into the ignition and get it out of the ignition but turning it is not an option though it seems that I can start the bike and run it without turning the key. Any help would be appreciated and yes I have that sinking feeling that the bike has to go in to have the ignition module replaced.

NancysToy
03-13-2012, 07:18 PM
I have that sinking feeling, too...but you might try spying some Lock-Ez lock lubricant into the lock first. Don't use WD-40...it will dr out the mechanism and make it stick even worse later.

JCSMOKE
03-13-2012, 07:30 PM
I'm going to let it be for now because lock ease and wd 40 were not on my list, though kerosine and a match were

bluestratos
03-14-2012, 09:02 PM
My key started acting up, I thought someone had stuffed something the lock but when I look a the key closely I see what appeared to be green corrosion on it. I was at the auto parts store so I bought some graphite lock lubricant and squrited it in. Key still resisted the first time but then it did its magic and it has worked fine since then.

Good luck,

Randy

Floyd Baughman
03-15-2012, 08:36 AM
Im waiting on a new Ing switch for I had a key Broken off inside. I took the old Ing switch out which was very painful due to lack off space with big hands. After being out the key tumbler came out and had the locksmith take it apart and the old broken key came out and put it all together and the Ing still would not work. Had it all apart and was working to a point but not all the way. Did not lose any parts and it go back one way. This is a 2010 RT with almost 20,000 miles.

My key started acting up, I thought some had stuffed something the lock but when I look a the key closey I see what appeared to be green corrosion on it. I was at the auto parts store so I bought some graphite lock lubricant and squrited it in. Key still resisted the first time but then it did its magic and it has worked fine since then.

Good luck,

Randy

Floyd Baughman
03-15-2012, 08:55 AM
This was the same trouble I had after the broken key, had it all apart there are plastic block inside the main part of the switch with a spring holding in place, but it will not blow aprt when open it up. Does the trunk open up for you with the key because it is in the same set up as the seat? If so than check the adjustment on the cable for the seat and the linment on the seat lock. The lock mechism is not a true fixed position and can be out of adjustment. If you have small hands your in good shape for I have a lot of scabs on my hands from being close and sharp ends. Good luck and prepare for 160.00 parts bill and about 8 to 10 hours work. If you have the front end off, Upper dash,windshield and motor and brackets,dash and gages , leave it off till the Ing switch is replaced.

Ok so I have all of the parts to put the bike back together and I took the day off to get a bunch of work done. Long story short the ignition barrel that the key goes into was not pulling the cord when I was trying to open the seat to get at the innards so with half the bike torn down I had just enough room to get a bent bit of metal down to the mechanism that locks the seat and I got it released. Today I was trying to figure that bit out and I was turning the key to see what was not happening or maybe what was happening when the thing just kind of locked up on me. Now I have the ability to put the key into the ignition and get it out of the ignition but turning it is not an option though it seems that I can start the bike and run it without turning the key. Any help would be appreciated and yes I have that sinking feeling that the bike has to go in to have the ignition module replaced.

aka1004
03-15-2012, 11:35 AM
I had similar problem where I had to struggle with it for like a minute to turn the key for like 9-10 starts than eventually it just worked itself out.