PDA

View Full Version : I Pod Playlist control

Pennyrick
03-12-2012, 10:32 AM
The I Pod controls for my new '12 RT limited seem to be different from my '11 RT. If I wanted to change the song on the old machine I just pushed the advance button on the right side of the control cluster and it moved to the next song.... or, if I pushed it and held it, the next playlist would be selected.

On the new machine nothing happens when I push the button until I go back to the 'mode' button, select I-Pod and then push the advance button. That seems to be an extra step I don't want to take. I can't see anything in the manual about this.

Is this just the way the thing is now set up? Does anyone know how to change the set up back to the way it was on the earlier model?

NancysToy
03-12-2012, 11:09 AM
That stinks! Guess they either reprogrammed it, or you have a defect. Your dealer will probably have to contact BRP to verify it. I'd have hime do so.

IndySpyder
03-12-2012, 11:49 AM
The I Pod controls for my new '12 RT limited seem to be different from my '11 RT. If I wanted to change the song on the old machine I just pushed the advance button on the right side of the control cluster and it moved to the next song.... or, if I pushed it and held it, the next playlist would be selected.

On the new machine nothing happens when I push the button until I go back to the 'mode' button, select I-Pod and then push the advance button. That seems to be an extra step I don't want to take. I can't see anything in the manual about this.

Is this just the way the thing is now set up? Does anyone know how to change the set up back to the way it was on the earlier model?

I am considering a 2012 RT-S, Just curious did you find an answer?

Arr MiHardies
03-12-2012, 01:12 PM
Personally, I think the entire iPod interface needs to be redone.

Sent from my T959 using Tapatalk

Bob Denman
03-12-2012, 02:32 PM
I'm still getting the hang of the controls on my 2010... :shocked: :gaah:
I hit "mode" until the MP3 player comes up; bu then I couldn't advance to the next song with the buttons. I had the Ipod set to play the songs in random order; I'll see if that's the problem this afternoon. I'll pundh it in to have them played in order and then tap on the button a bit... :pray:

NancysToy
03-12-2012, 03:09 PM
I'm still getting the hang of the controls on my 2010... :shocked: :gaah:
I hit "mode" until the MP3 player comes up; bu then I couldn't advance to the next song with the buttons. I had the Ipod set to play the songs in random order; I'll see if that's the problem this afternoon. I'll pundh it in to have them played in order and then tap on the button a bit... :pray:
If you are in aux mode with an alternate mp3 player you cannot change tunes, just volume. If you are in iPod mode, it should work from the normal display. You don't need to be on the iPod screen to change tunes on a 2010 or 2011.

Bob Denman
03-12-2012, 05:22 PM
I've got an Ipod; how do I find that mode?? I don't recall seeing anything other thatn MP3 player pop up... :shocked:

NancysToy
03-12-2012, 06:41 PM
I've got an Ipod; how do I find that mode?? I don't recall seeing anything other thatn MP3 player pop up... :shocked:
It should show automatically when you plug in and start your iPod. If it shows "Aux" instead, you have a cable problem or you started the iPod before you started the Spyder. Unplug the iPod and try again, or turn it off and then back on, and see if it changes. Be sure your cable is plugged into the iPod all the way. Some cases prevent both latches from catching. The iPod may play, but won't register as an ipod.

Bob Denman
03-13-2012, 06:45 AM
Thanks! :thumbup:

Arr MiHardies
03-13-2012, 09:32 AM
It should show automatically when you plug in and start your iPod. If it shows "Aux" instead, you have a cable problem or you started the iPod before you started the Spyder. Unplug the iPod and try again, or turn it off and then back on, and see if it changes. Be sure your cable is plugged into the iPod all the way. Some cases prevent both latches from catching. The iPod may play, but won't register as an ipod.

Also make sure you are using the rectangular iPod connector like what you sync with, and not the connector that plugs into the headphone jack.

Bob Denman
03-13-2012, 10:08 AM
The BRP cabling plugs into the Ipod just like the Sync cable does, so I'm good there at least. :thumbup:

Arr MiHardies
03-13-2012, 11:38 AM
The BRP cabling plugs into the Ipod just like the Sync cable does, so I'm good there at least. :thumbup:

Just making sure, as I got two cables with my rt. one with a sync connection and one with a headphone connection.

doc1141963@aol
03-17-2012, 09:42 AM
My 2012 RT Unlimited used to work fine with the ipod...showing playlist etc.

Now, like you, it only comes up AUX with no play list and you cannot advance the song. The dealer switched out the cable and said it was faulty. But it hasn't corrected the problem.

When I first got the bike the Ipod would display and playlists came up...but it would only advance thru like 15 songs and come back to the beginning even though there was about 190 songs on the ipod.

Also it doesn't charge the ipod anymore and it used to. This will be the 3rd time I've taken it in to the dealer for this. I hear 'cable' and "it is my ipod". I think I have a ghost in my machine for sure.

Always something wrong with my RT. They have already replaced the cluster once.

Any help?:yikes:

SpydherLuv
03-17-2012, 10:50 AM
Keep on your dealer! If they say the problem is with your iPod, then they should rule it out by proving another one works. I would have a hard time believing that there wasn't somebody at the dealership who didn't have an iPod they can use to test whether it's getting power for a charge.

Arr MiHardies
03-17-2012, 11:21 AM
I'd be very surprised if at least one of the people at the dealer didn't have an iPod or iPhone they could prove to you with that it's your iPod. If it does the same thing t them, then it's not your pod.

bluestratos
03-17-2012, 01:53 PM
You may want to check my new post, it deals with the same thing more or less. They installed a complete new radio in my 2011, the new one is 2012. I am not sure what is going on but it went dead and then changed to AUX on the dash. I charged in the house and installed it and it plays right but not sure if it is actually charging. I guess I have to play awhile to see if the battery stays full or not now. The new cord that goes between the radio and the trunk plug is now a short one with no black box in line, if they use the wrong cord it will not charge (BRP has a blurb out on this).

Good luck

doc1141963@aol
03-20-2012, 06:21 AM
Keep on your dealer! If they say the problem is with your iPod, then they should rule it out by proving another one works. I would have a hard time believing that there wasn't somebody at the dealership who didn't have an iPod they can use to test whether it's getting power for a charge.

They did have an itouch and 2 iphones. They all work. My nano and itouch must be too old they think. it seems to be a software interface problem for my bike. Just an update for you. I'm OK with purchasing another nano if it will fix it!

Denette

Macca
03-20-2012, 07:15 AM
I have a 2011 Limited and also a two year old Nano that is not recognized by the audio but my iPhones works just fine.

stevedfive
03-20-2012, 09:27 AM
VERY IMPORTANT 2012 iPod cable info.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?32984-2012-ipod-cable-info&highlight=iPod+cable

SpydherLuv
03-21-2012, 10:05 AM
I have a 2011 Limited and also a two year old Nano that is not recognized by the audio but my iPhones works just fine.

That's interesting, I have a first generation iPod Touch (4 yrs old?) and it plays just fine on my 2011 RT-S.

NancysToy
03-21-2012, 07:40 PM
The iPod Nano Gen 5 I got with my 2010 PE RTS palys and controls fine on my 2011 RTS.

verge354
07-04-2012, 04:59 PM
:sour:
If you are in aux mode with an alternate mp3 player you cannot change tunes, just volume. If you are in iPod mode, it should work from the normal display. You don't need to be on the iPod screen to change tunes on a 2010 or 2011.
does that mean if i don't have the IPOD mode but only AUX--- i can not change tunes?
tks

NancysToy
07-04-2012, 05:06 PM
:sour:
does that mean if i don't have the IPOD mode but only AUX--- i can not change tunes?
tks

That's correct. You have to have a genuine iPod, properly connected.

Firefly
07-04-2012, 05:48 PM
My 2012 RT works as it's supposed to.. able to go to the next song or back one no matter what screen I'm on... BUT.... I can't say I'm a fan of the whole interface.....

They also have made it so that you cannot go back into your playlists and select songs or artists, etc. while the bike is in motion...... :banghead:

Another thing I'm noticing.... it doesn't appear as if the volume changes with your speed.... did they not make the volume speed sensitive???? Can't believe they would have missed that feature.

NancysToy
07-04-2012, 05:54 PM
My 2012 RT works as it's supposed to.. able to go to the next song or back one no matter what screen I'm on... BUT.... I can't say I'm a fan of the whole interface.....

They also have made it so that you cannot go back into your playlists and select songs or artists, etc. while the bike is in motion...... :banghead:

Another thing I'm noticing.... it doesn't appear as if the volume changes with your speed.... did they not make the volume speed sensitive???? Can't believe they would have missed that feature.
The volume can change with speed. There are several levels. Look in your audio setup menus.

Knarfoh
07-04-2012, 06:55 PM

I have the 2012 RT-S SM5.

My IPOD Classic (60GB - 1st Generation and my 80GB - forget the generation) both work fine. Once, I even had my IPAD connected (forget why).

You can only do certain things when stationary. For example, before you put it into gear, you can select the playlist. You are stuck with that playlist until you come to a dead stop again.

I was unaware that holding the button to advance the songs for an extended period switched it to the next playlist. Mine does advance to the next song (or by hitting the other button you can go in reverse on the song selection). I will try holding the button in for and extended period and see if that changes the playlist an report back. SPECIAL NOTE: LOL. I FURTHER READ THE BROCHURE AFTER ORIGINALLY POSTING THIS. ACCORDING TO THE BROCHURE, YOU ARE RIGHT, DEPRESSING THE BUTTON FOR AN EXTENDED PERIOD SHOULD CHANGE THE SONG.

You can view the instructions for the sound features HERE (http://www.knarfoh.com/pdf_files/Quick_Reference_Roadster_Electronic_Command_Center _Can-Am.pdf). It is in PDF form. It shows you how to use the buttons to control your RADIO, IPOD, etc. This tells you how the features should work on your 2012. I know a few people have told me they don't remember seeing this instruction brochure. It was in the plastic bag given me that had the extra key barrel (for the optional trailer) as well as the connect cables for your IPOD or MP3 players.

There have been a few times my IPOD was not detected as being hooked up. I think the connector came loose. Instead it shows AUX. I hook up my IPOD and let it dangle off the cord in the rear trunk. Probably not the smartest thing to do. I have sometimes propped it up on something.

If your IPOD is not working as described in BRP's brochure - your dealer should remedy the situation.

http://www.knarfoh.com/pdf_files/Quick_Reference_Roadster_Electronic_Command_Center _Can-Am.pdf

Knarfoh
07-04-2012, 07:00 PM
I am considering a 2012 RT-S, Just curious did you find an answer?
The answers are in the sound system brochure

READ IT HERE (http://www.knarfoh.com/pdf_files/Quick_Reference_Roadster_Electronic_Command_Center _Can-Am.pdf)

Sounds like his system is not operating correctly (assuming his IPOD is not defective, or he is not defective).

Pennyrick
07-04-2012, 08:18 PM

READ IT HERE (http://www.knarfoh.com/pdf_files/Quick_Reference_Roadster_Electronic_Command_Center _Can-Am.pdf)

Sounds like his system is not operating correctly (assuming his IPOD is not defective, or he is not defective).

NO, the I pod is working correctly. It appears the software upgrade for the 2012 model eliminated a couple of short cuts I used to be able to use. No big deal. I can still switch playlists, artists, etc. I just have make certain the mode button is selected first.

NancysToy
07-04-2012, 08:21 PM

If he is using an iPod and it reads "AUX", he has to check the connections or shut off and reboot the iPod. If he is using another brand of mp3 player, his system is working properly, and will not change the songs.

d.o.spyder-rts
07-05-2012, 02:19 AM
-Use Mode button to toggle over to preferences category
-Press down arrow and highlight audio
-Press rt arrow to get to next column over
--Use up/down arrow to select auto vol control
-Press rt arrow to get to next column over
--Use up/down arrow to select the setting you want (low, med, high)
Dale

jwmcclellan
01-25-2013, 11:17 AM
When I first bought my bike (October 2012) I was able to switch songs from the main screen. After my 600 mile checkup and software update I was no longer able to switch songs from the main screen. I had to be on the audio screen. I finally figured out that I needed the radio channel displayed on the main screen in order to change ipod songs on the main screen. So now I see Ipod on the main screen, whereas I didn't before.

DR Buck
01-25-2013, 12:41 PM
I haven't tried my Ipod interface. Up till now I've used a Creative labs mp3 player. But, I asked for and got a new Ipod Classic for Christmas. I will be very upset if it don't work as advertised. I have to wait until the garage door unfreezes before I can try it out. :roflblack:

BamaSpyder
01-27-2013, 05:46 PM

Press your mode button to get to preferences. select settings, press right button over to radio display, the over to enable. This should fix your problem. This fixed the same problem on my 2013.

Slagiatt
01-27-2013, 05:52 PM
I us an iPhone 4S for music. Ever since I've had the Spyder (March 2012) the radio has worked flawlessly. Just 2 weeks ago I started having the problem at the beginning of this thread...that is, I have to hit the mode switch and display what's playing before I can advance to the next song manually. That's new, and I hate "new things!" Can't imagine why it just started doing that, but I'll have the dealer check it at my March service. :-(

rock
01-28-2013, 08:56 PM
we have a 2010 rt and went through a period when the controls didnt want to work.. i took the i pod in to our computer synced it and then reconnected it to the bike and surprise all the controls worked as they were intended to...it seems it just needed a little bump from the computer, dont know why but it is fine now...

szohar
01-28-2013, 10:26 PM
It is working exactly like mine RT 2012 LTD, you need to be in Audio Mode to be able to move to different song list, it is very disappointing they are not showing a list of the song lists so we would be able to select the list we want instead of going from one list to another.

I wish there was a way to find the source code for the software and change it, this is a very simple change.

CurrantRyder
01-30-2013, 02:57 AM

My new 2013 RT also requires hitting the mode button first, (and scrolling to the radio screen) before attempting to raise or lower radio volume. Yuk

NancysToy
01-30-2013, 09:25 AM
My new 2013 RT also requires hitting the mode button first, (and scrolling to the radio screen) before attempting to raise or lower radio volume. Yuk
That's insane! Changes in programming are supposed to be enhancements...not roadblocks! Looks like they are hiring third graders to do their programming again.