PDA

View Full Version : Over filling...

prmurat
03-11-2012, 03:18 PM
My, very good dealer, noticed while re-tuning the rear shock auto compressor (did not work after changing the dashboard ) that my evaporate canister had traces of gas on it and was smelling of gas... I am going for replacement Friday .... Looks like I over fill the tank? So my 2 questions are: apart of being legal, can I run with no evap canister and/or what is the correct way to fill the tank? Will it be the difference between gassing every 100 miles vs 140?
thanks! RTs 2011.

fastfraser
03-11-2012, 06:02 PM
I squeeze every last drop into mine when I fill-up with no ill effects .:dontknow:

boborgera
03-11-2012, 06:24 PM
I squeeze every last drop into mine when I fill-up with no ill effects .:dontknow:

Same here, But it seems to cause troubles to some, Why?, that's something Brp should figure out.
I don't know of any vehicle i've had that i couldn't fill to the top.:dontknow:

Mr. White
03-11-2012, 09:12 PM
What does this canister do...(or don't do) What are the advantages in removing it??

NancysToy
03-11-2012, 09:39 PM
What does this canister do...(or don't do) What are the advantages in removing it??

Standard EPA emissions canister. The activated carbon inside is supposed to soak up any ozone killing hydrocarbon vapors when the purge valve vents to the atmosphere.

gmcgarrity
03-12-2012, 06:49 PM
there was a thread where someone put a tee in the line
anyone remember it

Dragonrider
03-13-2012, 10:08 AM
Look for "canisterectomy" threads - fumes were a huge problem on my '09 RS, so I removed the canister. It's never been a problem on my RT, and I always top off….

prmurat
03-14-2012, 12:36 PM
Look for "canisterectomy" threads - fumes were a huge problem on my '09 RS, so I removed the canister. It's never been a problem on my RT, and I always top off….

Someone mentioned a need for a back pressure?? Have you plugged anything or just let the tube hanging there?
I am thinking of the "T" modification on the line to the canister as it looks like logic and almost... legal?!:yikes:

By the way... my canister replacement is made under guarantee:yes:!!!

Dragonrider
03-14-2012, 12:50 PM
As I recall, you do plug one side, and run the "fume line" under, or to the back of the bike. I believe there was a software change somewhere in early 2010 that was supposed to fix that issue, and I've never had it on my RT...