PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a non BRP CB Radio solution

Arr MiHardies
03-11-2012, 01:53 PM
I would like to do a CB radio setup, but I really don't want to pay 7-800$ + install for the BRP one. Seems incredibly overpriced. I would also prefer something I can pair with my bluetooth headset. Not a fan of wires connecting me to the Spyder... or really anything.

Oldmanzues
03-11-2012, 02:38 PM
You and Me both. I have looked everywhere I know of with no results. I would settle for a wired set up.
Oldmanzues

lyonsden
03-11-2012, 04:27 PM
Well what I did works pretty well. I bought the Midland 75-822. I made a little clip so it clips onto the handle bars. I added the harness for the gps which I also love. Anyway I put a T in the harness for the GPS and hooked it to the headphone jack on the CB and now whenever someone talks to me on the CB the stereo mutes automatically and I hear it through the spyder speakers. I added a hand held mic to talk on. I can take a picture if you would like.

bluestratos
03-12-2012, 09:24 PM
Very interesting, please show pictures and more information!

2Gunns
03-13-2012, 11:51 AM
Well what I did works pretty well. I bought the Midland 75-822. I made a little clip so it clips onto the handle bars. I added the harness for the gps which I also love. Anyway I put a T in the harness for the GPS and hooked it to the headphone jack on the CB and now whenever someone talks to me on the CB the stereo mutes automatically and I hear it through the spyder speakers. I added a hand held mic to talk on. I can take a picture if you would like.

I installed a Cobra 75 WX ST (everything contained within mic).... very interested in how you managed to get the sound through your speakers. How about a bit more detail

Cavman
03-13-2012, 12:16 PM
I've been thinking, "they want how much for a CB?" Yikes! :yikes:
I can get a ham radio for around $100.
Problem is, not many ryders will have a ham license. :(
So no one to talk to. :(:(
There is the advantage of power and range of a ham radio. CB's are limited to 4 watts output. A 2 meter radio could be run on a Spyder, in a practical manner of say 20-25 watts. (The legal limit is 1500 watts) The use of repeaters would also increase the distance, even in the hilly country.
Just something to think about. BTW, there is no code requirement in getting a license anymore. There are study guides that have the current exam questions and answers to study from. :yes:
It looks like all Federal exams are like that these days. Even for an aircraft mechanics license. We didn't have that back when I took all of the tests. :banghead:

lyonsden
03-13-2012, 12:49 PM
I will take some pictures and give more details when I get home from work today.

lyonsden
03-13-2012, 07:53 PM
Well I got home from work and have taken some photos (after I took a ride on the beautiful 82 degree March day):ohyea:I

I will explain this the best I can.
I wanted to add my own GPS so I purchase the mount and wiring to mount the GPS on the handle bars and the wiring has a 1/8" headphone plug on it to plug into your GPS.

Pic of what I bought. Part # 219400318 $139 on amazon
Once that was installed everything worked perfect with the GPS. Whenever the driving instructions would play the radio or ipod will mute and the instructions come through the RTs speakers.

I had installed a hand held CB - Midland 75-822. It can be a handheld or you can hook an external ant and power to it if you want it more permanent. It comes with just about everything you need except I purchas a hand held mic. The CB was about $90. I created a plastic mount out of a drink holder, part of one anyway. I took a drimel cutter and sliced a slot in it so the metal clip on the back of the CB will slide into it. That way I can just slip it off and put it in the trunk when I want. I really only use it when traveling with other people. Photos are below. I put a T on the jack that plugged into the GPS so I can plug 1 into the GPS and the other into the CB. Then when the GPS talks the radio mutes and you hear it and when someone talks to me on the CB the radio mutes until they finish talking then the music comes back. The only thing I have found is if the GPS talks and the CB at the same time they will both come out of the RT speakers at the same time. No real problem, doesn't happen hardly ever. You do have to get a small cord with a male 1/8" plug on both ends to make this work. Hope this all makes sense. If not let me know and I will do my best to explain a little better. If you're coming to Spyderfest I will be there if you want to have a look.

42064 4206742068

Marker
03-14-2012, 06:23 PM
I would like to do a CB radio setup, but I really don't want to pay 7-800$ + install for the BRP one. Seems incredibly overpriced. I would also prefer something I can pair with my bluetooth headset. Not a fan of wires connecting me to the Spyder... or really anything.

I was considering the same as you. I found through cyclebots.com a sena SR10 Bluetooth gateway http://cyclebots.com/bluetooth-adapters/sena-sr10-bluetooth-audio-gateway.html This unit with the proper plug, plugs into your CB radio and will transmit to your bluetooth headset . I e-mailed Sena and they said that iot will work with other brands of bluettoh heastes too. It even comes with a wired PTT button so you can mount it on your handlebars. You could use a RAM mount to mount your CB to the handlebars http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/08206507704506604504905205709004505004505004805006 5/Default.aspx :thumbup: