PDA

View Full Version : mesh jacket or no jacket

NVERLAST1
03-09-2012, 11:15 AM
I live in charlotte nc and wanted to know do most riders here or area ride with mesh jackets or no jackets at all?

ARtraveler
03-09-2012, 12:31 PM
Some protective gear is better than no gear IMO.

I ride with ATGATT.

daveinva
03-09-2012, 12:57 PM
I'm ATGATT myself. In summer, that includes a mesh jacket (unless it gets TOO hot-- then I just seal myself up with a chill towel in a regular textile jacket to keep from losing too much sweat).

Fire911
03-09-2012, 10:01 PM
I ride with mesh as well.

NancysToy
03-09-2012, 10:45 PM
In the sun, mesh is actually cooler than a t-shirt. It shades your body. A friend from Florida clued me in about that years ago, and made me a fan of mesh for life. In very, very hot weather, a cooling shirt (or wet long-sleeved t-shirt) under a standard textile jacket can be about the only way to keep cool. A jacket also slows dehydration. Try the mesh...you won't be sorry.

Nikon
03-10-2012, 12:24 AM
I live in charlotte nc and wanted to know do most riders here or area ride with mesh jackets or no jackets at all?I purchased the Can Am summer mesh for my wife and I. We like it very much and it is comfortable. The jackets come with a removeable liner. We had a bit of a cold spell in February in South Florida and it got into the 40/50's. The jackets with liners were warm enough. In the summer, mesh can be too warm on the hottest days...and yes I did remove the liner. I would imagine that the summer mesh would work for northerners in Charlotte.

tompen
03-10-2012, 08:09 AM
I wear a Tourmaster Intake Jacket. It is a mesh jacket with removable armour and an inner jacket, and liner. It works great here in upstate NY. You can add or remove the 3 layers during a ride as the weather changes. I won't say I have never without a jacket, but it would be the exception. While moving, I find the mesh more comfortable than a tee shirt. Sort of like riding in the shade.

SpyderLady
03-10-2012, 10:26 AM
Well I am from Old School and most will not be in agreement with what I have to say. When it is hot outside I don't wear any kind of jacket, in fact I wear a thin strap tank top so I can get as much sun as possible. Yes I understand if anything happens the road rash will be bad..... but I grew up on a Harley behind my Dad in the days when there was no such thing as a helmet. When I had my Harley my favorite helmet was my "novelty" helmet and again I rode with the tank tops in hot weather. On my Spyder I have (for the first time in my life) even gone to wearing shorts when it is really hot out. Did not think I would ever do that, but again with the Spyder I don't have the worries I did on the Harley (easier to go down, no protection on legs from rocks, hot pipes, etc.). And last but not least..... when in a no helmet state.... I don't wear one. I know lots of people will condem me for all of the above, but it is my way and there are lots of things other ryders to that I do not understand. :yikes:

SteveMac
03-10-2012, 01:30 PM
Well I am from Old School and most will not be in agreement with what I have to say. When it is hot outside I don't wear any kind of jacket, in fact I wear a thin strap tank top so I can get as much sun as possible. Yes I understand if anything happens the road rash will be bad..... but I grew up on a Harley behind my Dad in the days when there was no such thing as a helmet. When I had my Harley my favorite helmet was my "novelty" helmet and again I rode with the tank tops in hot weather. On my Spyder I have (for the first time in my life) even gone to wearing shorts when it is really hot out. Did not think I would ever do that, but again with the Spyder I don't have the worries I did on the Harley (easier to go down, no protection on legs from rocks, hot pipes, etc.). And last but not least..... when in a no helmet state.... I don't wear one. I know lots of people will condem me for all of the above, but it is my way and there are lots of things other ryders to that I do not understand. :yikes:

No condemnation. To each his own and I am right there with ya. Well,,, except for the tank top and shorts. :yikes: LOL. Now that would be a site. SteveMac in shorts and a tank top. ;)

Getting ready to go riding now! And I'll be in a t-shirt and wearing a very lightweight Lamode Thinsulate jacket I've had for years. Odd piece of clothing. Both cool and warm without changing anything. Not much good when temps get over 70 tho.

KipDM
03-15-2012, 02:06 AM
unless i am taking a cool off ryde after mowing the lawn or going to lunch in summer still drenched in sweat i always uise some form of jacket.
if it is not a leather jacket then it is one with armor.
i use mesh midsummer, so breathable it is crazy, and in Durham it does get a tad hot in summer.

dress how YOU feel comfortable and safe.

ARtraveler
03-15-2012, 12:56 PM
No condemnation here either. To each his/her own ride.

bruiser
03-17-2012, 08:54 PM
What ever floats your boat. However, I'm never without a brain bucket. As a former EMT/I I've been on to many MVA's involving bikers w/o helmets.

CMA Cowboy
03-17-2012, 09:58 PM
I wore a mesh jackets for long rides but on short rides and around town its shirt, pants, boots and usually my denim vest. Now that I'm on the spyder I do not forsee a change in this pattern. Always with a helmet when on the road. Everyone should ride their own ride to their confort level.

SpyderDuck
03-18-2012, 09:40 AM
i use mesh midsummer, so breathable it is crazy

So, what brand would this amazingly breathable jacket be? I'm always looking for something cooler.

jeromeb
03-18-2012, 11:36 AM
I wear a mesh jacket when it is hot wih a under armor long sleeve tee underneath, dampened when hot. Mesh pants on long trips with shorts underneath. Always gloves. Always with the armor. Also to remember, my Doctor states is to protect the skin from the sun and wind. As I age the years of little protection from the elements, Viet Nam, 21 years Navy and mc and other outdoor activies since the 1950 s, are catching up. Skin cancers are starting to appear in my mc club as we pass 60. I had deep one taken off my right forearm in Dec. No brake lever kept me on the road with lessened grip while healing. I still cheat occasionally like when I am riding by the beach in Panama City, but in my heart I know that people are looking at my Spyder not an old man trying to appear cool.
Stay cool.
Jerry

SpyderLady
03-18-2012, 12:11 PM
Well I have to correct one thing. My DOT saved me yesterday. I will not be so fast to go helmet less in the future.

NancysToy
03-18-2012, 12:22 PM
Well I have to correct one thing. My DOT saved me yesterday. I will not be so fast to go helmet less in the future.
:thumbup:

Marker
03-18-2012, 02:32 PM
I wear a JOE ROCKET Phoenix 11 Mesh jacket with armor. I tried riding once with out my mesh jacket on a very hot day last summer . I felt funny with out it on and was not as relaxed riding without it on. I always dress for the unexpected and if the unexpected happens I want as much protection as possible. :thumbup:

Oldmanzues
03-18-2012, 03:25 PM
To each their own, but I believe in ATGATT. went for a few slides on the race track.
When I think about no "stuff" I remember a lady rider (HD) who used to ride in the minimun amount of clothing a female could be seen in public with out getting arrested. Something ( unknown subtance) on a city street corner. She no longer rides and only goes out in public in high neck, long sleeve blouse, full lenght pants, full socks and shoes.
Oldmanzues

danlnc
06-03-2012, 06:35 AM

Amen!

Dwanton
06-03-2012, 07:28 AM
I wear the JOE ROCKET mesh jacket ... Bought this summer mesh jacket with inner wind breaker that is removable . Then I realized my JOE ROCKET winter jacket is 3 in 1 :banghead: . It has a nice mesh inner jacket but a little different .Both are 2011 versions and got them for 30% off - dealer was making room and wanted old stock out .

Jeriatric
06-03-2012, 08:30 AM
I wear a mesh jacket when it is hot wih a under armor long sleeve tee underneath, dampened when hot. Mesh pants on long trips with shorts underneath. Always gloves. Always with the armor. Also to remember, my Doctor states is to protect the skin from the sun and wind. As I age the years of little protection from the elements, Viet Nam, 21 years Navy and mc and other outdoor activies since the 1950 s, are catching up. Skin cancers are starting to appear in my mc club as we pass 60. I had deep one taken off my right forearm in Dec. No brake lever kept me on the road with lessened grip while healing. I still cheat occasionally like when I am riding by the beach in Panama City, but in my heart I know that people are looking at my Spyder not an old man trying to appear cool.
Stay cool.
Jerry

Here's a shirt you may want to try. I wear it with an under armor T shirt and between the two they wick away perspiration and keep the sun off.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/20471?feat=504190-GN2

SpyderAnn01
06-03-2012, 08:53 AM
Yesterday the thermometer on the Spyder read 118 on my way home from our ride. I know this is not correct but it wasn't off by much. I wore a mesh jacket and I was comfortable.

Jeriatric
06-03-2012, 09:00 AM
Yesterday the thermometer on the Spyder read 118 on my way home from our ride. I know this is not correct but it wasn't off by much. I wore a mesh jacket and I was comfortable.

AND IT'S ONLY JUNE!!!! :gaah:LOL

bruisersbaby
06-08-2012, 09:04 PM
Bruiser and I both have Firstgear jackets (thanks, Ron!) with liner. They are comfortable in the heat or cool, have removable armor. We don't wear shorts, whether on or off the bike, unless Bruiser is working outside lol!! Have gone with short sleeves, though, when it's been really hot, but do have to watch getting burned. Staying comfortable, and protected, is the way to go! :ohyea:

Carold571
06-09-2012, 09:32 AM
I've been wearing a Joe Rocket mesh jacket for several years. The liner is great if the temp goes down in the evening. Don't ride without it.

MMcc
06-09-2012, 10:16 AM
Did an experiment yesterday, 88 f and high humidity. Took a 15 mile ride once with mesh and once with tee shirt same route around lakes and into town. Mesh did feel cooler and better, must confess I did feel unprotected and uncomfortable without jacket.

TeddyBearHohma
08-14-2012, 09:12 AM
As a new rider I'd wear my helmet the first year as required and then probably go without. I'd have a different jacket for the weather. I don't do shorts unless it's to Cedar Point because of the long lines in the sun. I'd do shoes instead of boots.
>
>
>
>
However I'm required to wear a Helmet (Full face - no eyepro, 3/4s or smaller - goggles), Jacket, Long Sleeved Shirt, Long Pants, Sturdy Over the ankle footwear and Gloves (Full Fingered).

If I fail to ride with the required gear and something happens (God Forbid) my family is not entitled to my entitlements nor would my medical bills be covered my Tricare. The Military is very strict with their policy regarding safety of it's Service Members.

Now that I am a rider and I have to wear the proper gear all the time I believe that I'll continue to do so just to set a good example to my kids and grandkids. I want them to grow up safe and know that Grandpa is safe as well.

KipDM
08-22-2012, 03:29 AM
So, what brand would this amazingly breathable jacket be? I'm always looking for something cooler.

very sorry, have been away for a few months (as you could tell). going through a separation and leading to divorce...
but my mesh jacket is by 1st Gear. you can literally feel a breeze just from walking in this thing. and it has removable armor/pads in shoulders, elbows, and on back so you can wash it.
it also comes with a rain liner, but i don't suggest using it since there is a wide space in from when it is zipped in that is NOT water proff so you have water coming in from neck and middle of chest.
but on dry days i love it.
i have 2 other jackets for varying degrees of inclement weather and some cold weather glove liners, boot liners, and jacket (to be worn under regular jacket) by FreezeOut, sold at Cycle Gear that works really well for cold weather.

Ivorspyder
08-22-2012, 07:15 AM
I have A mesh jacket but this year discovered a really comfortable way to Ryde.I have long sleeve lightweight weight Polyester racing Tee shirts.The sort Fox racing does .Can Am do a couple,Moose Racing is a good one.They are really colorful,comfortable and can be seen.Over that I wear the Icon protective shield.It slips over one's head is like a waistcoat and has way more protection than the jackets have.If its cold slip my jacket or a windbreaker over.
Only thing your elbows are unprotected.You can buy elbow shields.I do not have them.

CyncySpyder
08-22-2012, 08:28 AM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=51523&d=1345200625
In the above picture, you will notice that I'm wearing an S&S (Speed & Strength) Mesh jacket in Red without all the logos (Comes with or without) from one of our :firstplace:WONDERFUL:firstplace: Sponsors, BajaRon:thumbup:

This is the very first Mesh Jacket that I have ever tried, as I've never ridden before becoming a SpyderAddict back in May of 2010. For the past 2 years, I've either worn a regular jacket & burned up or went without and have gotten burned a time or two. So when Ron advertised these jackets a few months back, at a great price with speedy delivery, I figured it was time to give one a try and I'm glad that I did:thumbup: I'll post a full review in a seperate thread, but thought I'd share my experience here, since the OP had asked for opinions:dontknow:

The jacket works very well, even in 90+ degree temps, but there are always going to be compromises. Such as, if you get stuck in stop & go traffic, its going to be warmer than if you didn't have it on:duh: But even in this scenerio, I found myself glad to be wearing it for the sun protection that it provided:bowdown:

This jacket does come with (I think its called CE Armor) Armor in the elbows, shoulders, lower back and a large removable back protector as well. I removed the large back protector and left the rest in place and like the feeling of having the extra protection 'Just In Case';)

It also has a removable 'rain' liner that zips inside and I found it to work pretty well while we were tooling around the Adirondacks of Upstate New York while we were there last week for SITA & I don't care what anyone says:lecturef_smilie: that part of the country IS NOT IN A DRAUGHT:cus: at least not while we were therenojoke

There are however a couple of things I don't like about the jacket and one is my own fault & the other is me just being nit-picky:lecturef_smilie:

My own fault, is that I knew I had gained some weight due to having back surgery a few months back, so I ordered a Large size when I usually wear a Medium. The Large size is needed right now:opps: until I can get back into my workout program and loose my gut, but that makes for the rest of the jacket a little 'OverSized' for my frame, so the Elbow and Shoulder 'pads/armor' kind of float around a little until I get set into position, not really bad, but I'm thinking with a Medium Size, they would fit just right in position without the floating effect, but I'll have to wait til I get back in shape to prove this out with a smaller size.

The 2nd thing (& I admit its nit-picky) I don't care for is that at the wrists where you have velcro to tighten the jacket around your gloves, they made it Bright White. Why they did this is beyond me, and I don't know if I'm just a dirty guy or what:rolleyes: but that Bright White after about a months use is now a dingy looking off white:opps: I always wear gloves when I ryde, but they are fingerless gloves, so I'm guessing the oils from my skin and road grime mix to change the color. So I just wish that they would have made the velcro closing straps black, so this wouldn't be an issue. (Yes, I know, wear full gloves & problem solved, but I don't like full gloves except when needed in the winter, and then I'm NOT wearing a Mesh Jacket anyways)

So in conclusion, I now rarely ryde without my S&S Mesh Jacket and like the added sun protection it provides while allowing a good amount of air-flow, along with the added feeling of security of having the included armor:2thumbs: And you can't beat the :firstplace:Awesome Customer Service from BajaRon:firstplace:
Just my 2 cents .........................

dliszews
08-22-2012, 09:12 AM
Road rash sucks.....mesh with leather or ballistic nylon and CE armor at
slide points.

J. Mark
08-22-2012, 09:30 AM
We live in NC and opt for the Mesh but not always in the middle of the summer...but always long selves for as much sun protection.

SpyRyd
08-22-2012, 10:00 AM
I'm about one or two mouse clicks away from ordering a S&S mesh jacket from BajaRon...thanks for the detailed review. Guess I ought to thank Teddy since he told you to throw in your two cents.