PDA

View Full Version : Ing key Broken

Floyd Baughman
03-09-2012, 10:13 AM
My :spyder2: has broken her key in the Ing. As I was pulling the key out about half the key stayed in side the ing. Any one out there had this problem? What is the best way of getting the broken key out?I can put the rest of the key back in and if it is in the correct way,everything works ok. How much trouble is this replacing the Ing switch?Help....

Bob Denman
03-09-2012, 10:16 AM
:shocked: Ouch!
This doesn't sound good...
If you can get the piece out then you won't have to replace the switch.
I'd contact a locksmith for some advice...Good luck and please let us know what you find out about this! :thumbup:

Lamonster
03-09-2012, 10:17 AM
:yikes:
Chances are it's twisted in there so that could be a problem. Changing out the switch is a pretty big deal too. I would call your dealer.

boborgera
03-09-2012, 11:02 AM
I can put the rest of the key back in and if it is in the correct way,everything works ok. How much trouble is this replacing the Ing switch?Help....

Put the key back in turn it to the off precision, And slowly and easy pull the key out, with any luck the broken piece will be loose in there, and with a sticky piece of silly putty type stuff, You might be able :pray: to pull the broken piece out. I did that with a door lock once. Good luck, and let us know the out come. :popcorn:

Floyd Baughman
03-09-2012, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the information just called the locksmith and hope I can get it out. Will keep you all posted. Look on the site for Ing switch and it does not look easy. will wait for the locksmith.

fastfraser
03-09-2012, 11:29 AM
Hope you get it out. I would say you are looking at 3-5 hours labour to switch out the ignition. Its unbelievable how much comes off the Spyder to be able to get at the ignition.:yikes:

bud2061
03-09-2012, 01:53 PM
had one broke two years ago, locksmith worked half hour ,couldn't get it. it still worked with the
pieces in the ingnition. Called dealer, they ordered new one, result .........$289.00

good luck

l0ckman
03-09-2012, 04:35 PM
My :spyder2: has broken her key in the Ing. As I was pulling the key out about half the key stayed in side the ing. Any one out there had this problem? What is the best way of getting the broken key out?I can put the rest of the key back in and if it is in the correct way,everything works ok. How much trouble is this replacing the Ing switch?Help....

Yes calling a locksmith is the best answer for your problem. Do not put any kind of sticky stuff in the ing. You would be very sorry that you did. I am a locksmith and getting the other half of the key out can be easy or hard depending on how much of the key is broke in the ign. Locksmith have special tools for removing broken keys out of locks.

If the locksmith can not help go to ALOA (associated Locksmiths of America) website and they have a "find a locksmith". Or go to ClearStar.com, they have the same type of thing there. If you want you can call me and I will give you any help I can 863-422-6778.

Locks of Luck
Michael

TuckMiddle
03-09-2012, 08:08 PM

Sounds like something I would do. For $60 you might try the key cover thingy from Lamont. If you can get it to work, leave the darn thing in there. That's the way lazy old guys like my friend Pat would try. I'd never do that myself, of course.:roflblack:

Tuck

Floyd Baughman
03-14-2012, 07:54 AM
I love my :spyder: but working on them can be a pain in -ss. I got the key out after pulling the switch out and used my other key and only works at the bench and when installed it will not work. ??? The switch only go back together one way. Have new one on order waiting while the weather here is riding weather. So to keep busy cleaning the the panels clean inside and wax the out side. Polished the screws that show, they are stainless look great like chrome. I have 19,700 miles on this Blue 2010 RT and will be two years old in late July. Not bad when you live in northern country.