PDA

View Full Version : Throttle Body Service Bulletin

cdem0229
03-08-2012, 03:44 PM
I've had the P1614 code come up the last two times I started my 2011 Spyder RT. Took it to the dealer today and the mechanic that I don't like dealing with said it was just a fluke and since it wasn't active it was ok now. I turned it off then restarted it both time the code went off. I asked him about the bulletin and he played dumb. I know it was posted on the home page for a while but I can't find it now. Can someone message me a copy of it?

Thanks

Chuck

spike w
03-08-2012, 04:12 PM
MY DEALERSHIP SERVICE DEPT. CALLED ME TODAY / WANTED ME TO BRING MY SPYDER IN TODAY IF POSS. HEAT RELATED BULLITEN AND THROTTLE BODY COMPUTER ADJUSTMENT / AUTHERIZED BY BRP / TAKING IT IN SAT / BEFORE I LEAVE FOR DATONA 2011 RT LIMINTED / ANYBODY GOT A CALL ON THIS YET /

NancysToy
03-08-2012, 05:40 PM
I've had the P1614 code come up the last two times I started my 2011 Spyder RT. Took it to the dealer today and the mechanic that I don't like dealing with said it was just a fluke and since it wasn't active it was ok now. I turned it off then restarted it both time the code went off. I asked him about the bulletin and he played dumb. I know it was posted on the home page for a while but I can't find it now. Can someone message me a copy of it?

Thanks

Chuck
Your dealer is doing you a major wrong! The ECM should be updated whether you have the fault codes or not. If any of the specified fault codes exist, either occured or active, the file is supposed to be downloaded for authorization and the throttle body replaced. The Warranty Campaign is #2011-0008 (Bulletin #2011-7). Every dealer should be aware of this...and virtually every 2011 RT owner needs the update. PM me your email address and I'll send you a copy of the bulletin. I'd suggest you feed it to your dealer...no salt!

SpyderLuv
03-09-2012, 04:12 PM
I had the throttle body replaced on my 2010 RTS and it took 5 days to to get the new one from Canada and another day to install it. Hope they ordered yours a few days ago so you can make it to Daytona. Ryde safe on your way down.

Mr. White
03-09-2012, 06:03 PM

Thanks

Chuck

Chuck, go to search and type in "2011-7" and you will see our discussions on this upgrade, along with 2011-8 and 2011-9....new brake spring and new gromets...as Scotty says, 2011-7 is correcting your trottle body software...easy upgrade...just a plug in of the BUDS system...

Your dealer is doing you a disservice saying they know nothing about it. I went in to my dealer and mentioned it, they hooked up the BUDS computer and it was done in 10-15 minutes, plus a new brake spring and gromets...another 20 minutes or so for oil and filters....

:spyder2:

Nor-Cal Spyder
03-09-2012, 06:04 PM
Your dealer is doing you a major wrong! The ECM should be updated whether you have the fault codes or not. If any of the specified fault codes exist, either occured or active, the file is supposed to be downloaded for authorization and the throttle body replaced. The Warranty Campaign is #2011-0008 (Bulletin #2011-7). Every dealer should be aware of this...and virtually every 2011 RT owner needs the update. PM me your email address and I'll send you a copy of the bulletin. I'd suggest you feed it to your dealer...no salt!

I'm not sure I would want THAT mechanic working on my bike. It sounds like he really doesn't care.

Just my two cents...

dancogan
03-09-2012, 07:41 PM
I had the throttle body replaced on my 2010 RTS and it took 5 days to to get the new one from Canada and another day to install it....

I thought I was the only 2010 RTS that needed a throttle body replacement (actually a throttle position sensor, but it wasn't available so they had to replace the entire throttle body).

NancysToy
03-09-2012, 08:55 PM
I thought I was the only 2010 RTS that needed a throttle body replacement (actually a throttle position sensor, but it wasn't available so they had to replace the entire throttle body).
Different problem, no TSB that I know of for the 2010 issue, but similar cure if the TB fails.

Dudley
03-09-2012, 09:00 PM
First I had the TBS replaced, then the TB on our 2010 RT. Fellow rider in TX also had the TB replaced on his 2010 RT. Both of our Spyders humming like humming birds now.

cdem0229
03-10-2012, 12:13 AM
Thanks for the quick replies. I had the software upgrade last fall when they replaced my rear shock. I wasn't sure what the next step was since it threw the code twice. I hasn't happened since the other morning. I let it sit all night and it got down to 25 so it was cold and it started just fine. I will just wait and see what happens but I'm going to call the other mechanic that I trust on Monday to see what his opinion is. He has been reliable so far for me.

NancysToy
03-10-2012, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the quick replies. I had the software upgrade last fall when they replaced my rear shock. I wasn't sure what the next step was since it threw the code twice. I hasn't happened since the other morning. I let it sit all night and it got down to 25 so it was cold and it started just fine. I will just wait and see what happens but I'm going to call the other mechanic that I trust on Monday to see what his opinion is. He has been reliable so far for me.
There have been a few Spyders that had the firmware upgrade but still experienced later throttle body failures. If you threw the codes, you need a TB replacement, plain and simple.

currin20fan
03-10-2012, 10:59 AM
MY DEALERSHIP SERVICE DEPT. CALLED ME TODAY / WANTED ME TO BRING MY SPYDER IN TODAY IF POSS. HEAT RELATED BULLITEN AND THROTTLE BODY COMPUTER ADJUSTMENT / AUTHERIZED BY BRP / TAKING IT IN SAT / BEFORE I LEAVE FOR DATONA 2011 RT LIMINTED / ANYBODY GOT A CALL ON THIS YET /

I did get that call..........you must be taking it to Velocity. Let us know what you find out today.

spike w
03-10-2012, 09:22 PM
Took the spyder to dealership today / service was done and checks were made on heating and throttle body BRP alerts to re programing the computer to adjust these systems / had no issues at the time but all spyder owners need to look into the service alerts / if the motor overheats on the throttle body it will go into limp mode . this will adjust all aspects best to the current updates that BRP has on this / failure to do so could cause the throttle body to overheat and defects will accure that will premote this/ no charge to you / 50$ cift credit from BRP will be sent in some form / not sure about that yet / spike/ :spyder2:

bikeguy
03-10-2012, 10:19 PM
First I had the TBS replaced, then the TB on our 2010 RT. Fellow rider in TX also had the TB replaced on his 2010 RT. Both of our Spyders humming like humming birds now.

Yep, I'm the rider from Texas. My dealer checked the TPS and it tested good, so after consulting with BRP tech, they replaced the Throttle Body and everything's good. They had to order the TB and it took about a week but I continued to ride the RT so it wasn't a problem. Took them about 4 hours to replace the TB and flash the ECM.

Cotton

currin20fan
03-10-2012, 11:04 PM
Took the spyder to dealership today / service was done and checks were made on heating and throttle body BRP alerts to re programing the computer to adjust these systems / had no issues at the time but all spyder owners need to look into the service alerts / if the motor overheats on the throttle body it will go into limp mode . this will adjust all aspects best to the current updates that BRP has on this / failure to do so could cause the throttle body to overheat and defects will accure that will premote this/ no charge to you / 50$ cift credit from BRP will be sent in some form / not sure about that yet / spike/ :spyder2:

I take mine in to Velocity on Tuesday. Thanks for the update.

currin20fan
03-14-2012, 04:49 PM
I take mine in to Velocity on Tuesday. Thanks for the update.

Took my spyder in for the update and this is what was done. ECU update for the throttle body. Technician told me that his is the 2nd update for the throttle bodies that the first update wasn't as good. THEN, I did have them check the squeaky brakes. Technician replaced the brake pads in the front and rear. And now.........no skreeching! I'm so happy. :clap: And by the way, if anyone is ever in Charleston/Ladson, SC, Velocity Powersports is the place to go. Service is great there.

cdem0229
03-21-2012, 11:12 AM
Well this morning the spyder went into limp with the p1614 code again. Called the dealer back armed with some info I received from everyone and now I have a new throttle body on the way. Should only be a couple days. Mechanic said this is the first one they have replaced so it was new to them.

Thanks for the help

Chuck

boborgera
03-21-2012, 11:35 AM
. Mechanic said this is the first one they have replaced so it was new to them.

p

Ask them them to make a note of that , So when the next Spyder comes in with a throttle body problem,
They can say ,Yea we seen that before and we know how to fix it. :thumbup:

It seem like every time i had a problem i was always the ''first'' one, And that's with any vehicle.:banghead:

roydog20
03-21-2012, 11:53 AM
WHERE DO I FIND BULLETINS ON THE RT 2011

spike w
03-21-2012, 12:51 PM
YOUR DEALER OR ANY DEALER SHOULD BE ABLE TO PRINT OUT ANY BULLETINS YOU NEED / VELOSITY IN LADSON S C JUST PRINTED ONE OUT FOR ME / 843 871 5371 / ASK FOR DAVID IN SERVICE ,,,, << BEST SPYDER TECH P.J. WILSON great guy >>

scooterexpress
03-21-2012, 07:59 PM
whats this tb all about i havent had any trouble with my 2011 rts throttle please lay this out in layman terms whats the real problem going to be at shop on saturday and if i need something done i'd like to do it then.
thanks

effgjamis
03-21-2012, 11:43 PM
Check this thread " http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?36264-LIMP-CHECK-ENGINE

TicketBait
03-22-2012, 12:48 AM
My throttle body was diagnosed last Friday to be defective, only the 2nd one to be replaced so Forrest is way ahead of me. :pThey are also replacing under warranty & extended warranty a couple more things. For the year so far I have not ridden more than 2300 miles- :(I am going into depression and don't know what I will do:banghead:

Bob Denman
03-22-2012, 07:17 AM
Mine popped another "P1614" yesterday... :gaah:
When I take it in to get the last round of Farkles installed I'll tell them to hook it to "BUD" up and see what's lurking in the computer as stored codes...