PDA

View Full Version : Handlebar end caps...

Bob Denman
03-06-2012, 11:50 AM
Okay... I went and bought the chrome handlebar end caps for my RT. (I'm like an old crow... show me something shiney! :shocked:)
Anyway; after reading the instructions on removing the OEMs, they say to loosen the bolt until the cap slides out.
Mine seem pretty tight in there...
Can I tap them with a rubber mallet or something to loosen them up?? :yikes:

Bob Denman
03-06-2012, 01:05 PM
I got them on! :2thumbs:
For some reason the wedge wouldn't come out with the cap, so I carefully :shocked: loosened things up until the cap was off and thdn held my breath while screwing the new cap on it its place... all the while waiting for the whole deal to blow up in my face! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_5_133.gifBut it worked!! :thumbup:

NancysToy
03-06-2012, 01:13 PM
Next time try looening the screw, then tapping on the screw to loosen the wedge. If that doesn't pop it loose, the heat from the grips may have adhered it firmly to the handlebar.

Bob Denman
03-06-2012, 01:23 PM
I did tap it with a rubber mallet...
It seemed pretty solid in the bar, so that's when I decided to tickle the dragon's tail and do what they didn't suggest... :shocked:
Alls well that ends well I guess! :opps:

ARtraveler
03-06-2012, 01:58 PM
:2thumbs:

Bob Denman
03-06-2012, 02:24 PM
:2thumbs:

Thanks! And I was sweating bullets the whole time... :shocked:

NancysToy
03-06-2012, 04:07 PM
I did tap it with a rubber mallet...
It seemed pretty solid in the bar, so that's when I decided to tickle the dragon's tail and do what they didn't suggest... :shocked:
Alls well that ends well I guess! :opps:

Yep, it takes more than a mallet. A punch or screwdriver is good...or an impact driver. A hard plastic mallet might work, but not rubber.

Bob Denman
03-07-2012, 08:04 AM
That was the "Fraidey-Cat" in me doing the tapping... :opps:
Now I'm back to staring at the front end of the spyder... Chrome fins and a Frunklight... :shocked::shocked::shocked:
I've read the instructiuons about a hundred times and have got it figured that it's basically just one disassembly to install both set s of farkles; it's the taking apart of the front end after it's off the bike that has me worried...:yikes: