PDA

View Full Version : Waterpump Impeller

glynnk
03-02-2012, 07:33 PM
My RT-S is having a waterpump impeller replaced. What the heck is that? Dealer said "it had been overtightened onto to the shaft and must be removed to replace the seal that is leaking". This all started with an oil leak. Work associated with the engine seal and the waterpump impeller are covered by the extended warranty thankfully. While it's in the shop, I told the dealer to go ahead and do the 18,000 mile check since it had 17,500 already. Anybody have something simliar occur?

Glynnk

boborgera
03-02-2012, 07:44 PM
My RT-S is having a waterpump impeller replaced. What the heck is that? Dealer said "it had been overtightened onto to the shaft and must be removed to replace the seal that is leaking". This all started with an oil leak. Work associated with the engine seal and the waterpump impeller are covered by the extended warranty thankfully. While it's in the shop, I told the dealer to go ahead and do the 18,000 mile check since it had 17,500 already. Anybody have something simliar occur?

Glynnk

To make it simple,
It's similar to a fan except it is encased in a housing with blades that suck fluids ;in this case antifreeze though the system.

glynnk
03-02-2012, 08:14 PM
To make it simple,
It's similar to a fan except it is encased in a housing with blades that suck fluids ;in this case antifreeze though the system.

Thanks for the explanantion.

Glynnk

TuckMiddle
03-02-2012, 11:00 PM
Yes, had the same thing. It's a tiny little seal that is evidently really sensitive and it's a real job to get to and change it. The seal prevents the anti-freeze from escaping and allows lubrication for the pump also.. In my case it leaked for a week until we (ok, they) could positively identify whether it was an oil or anti-freeze leak. The dealer(s) don't stock many parts and they had to order 12 parts in case the whole internal workings had to be replaced. So it continued to leak for a week while the parts dribbled in from all over the globe.
All is well again.:yes:

Tuck

glynnk
03-02-2012, 11:16 PM
Yes, had the same thing. It's a tiny little seal that is evidently really sensitive and it's a real job to get to and change it. The seal prevents the anti-freeze from escaping and allows lubrication for the pump also.. In my case it leaked for a week until we (ok, they) could positively identify whether it was an oil or anti-freeze leak. The dealer(s) don't stock many parts and they had to order 12 parts in case the whole internal workings had to be replaced. So it continued to leak for a week while the parts dribbled in from all over the globe.
All is well again.:yes:

Tuck

Thanks for the comments and the info.

Glynnk

Dar
03-03-2012, 10:49 PM
Back I got a new water cooled bike that developed a leak from the seal. Shop replaced the seal and said to use a small amonut of Bar's Leaks in the coolant. It helps to lube the seals. Never had a problem again. From the mfg.

Seals Leaks
Conditions Cooling System
Inhibits Rust and Corrosion
Prevents Corrosion
Lubricates Water Pump Seal
Helps Control Electrolysis

glynnk
03-04-2012, 10:35 PM
Back I got a new water cooled bike that developed a leak from the seal. Shop replaced the seal and said to use a small amonut of Bar's Leaks in the coolant. It helps to lube the seals. Never had a problem again. From the mfg.

Seals Leaks
Conditions Cooling System
Inhibits Rust and Corrosion
Prevents Corrosion
Lubricates Water Pump Seal
Helps Control Electrolysis

Dar--Thanks for that. I'll pass that on to the dealer. Look forward to seeing you again soon before you head back home.

Glynn