PDA

View Full Version : ANY NISSAN TECHS OUT THERE?

coz
03-02-2012, 06:11 PM
i have a 98 frontier, heater blower doesn't work on high speed. getting conflicting repair scenarios on frontier forums. thanks for any help:popcorn:

arntufun
03-02-2012, 06:19 PM
Holly's Jeep has the same issue. The high (#4) doesn't work, but the rest does. :dontknow::dontknow:

tompen
03-02-2012, 07:08 PM
They are both likely to have a "high blower relay" with a seperate fuse. The fuse could be in line and not in the fuse block. Usually found near the blower motor. Good Luck

JCSMOKE
03-02-2012, 07:40 PM
A bit of tape over the number 4 worked for me in the past.

boborgera
03-02-2012, 07:51 PM
A bit of tape over the number 4 worked for me in the past.

Now the question is what color tape.:dontknow:
:roflblack:

coz
03-04-2012, 12:30 PM
thanks for the help:thumbup:

IGETAROUND
03-04-2012, 03:09 PM
If I'm not mistaken blower speed is controlled by introducing different levels of resistors. Speed 4 or high would be with NO resistors. Those of your with more electrical knowledge than I feel free to jump right in there :opps:

wyliec
03-04-2012, 03:32 PM
If I'm not mistaken blower speed is controlled by introducing different levels of resistors. Speed 4 or high would be with NO resistors. Those of your with more electrical knowledge than I feel free to jump right in there :opps:

I'm thinking along those lines; but, more of a rheostat (variable resistance).

retread
03-04-2012, 03:52 PM
Most of the auto HVAC I've worked on is set up with the idea that the highest speed would not be used for an extended period of time, usually less than 20 minutes, and there is a separate fuse and sometimes a relay in that circuit that is designed to fail at around that time. It's more to protect the fan motor than anything else.

john

wyliec
03-04-2012, 04:06 PM
Most of the auto HVAC I've worked on is set up with the idea that the highest speed would not be used for an extended period of time, usually less than 20 minutes, and there is a separate fuse and sometimes a relay in that circuit that is designed to fail at around that time. It's more to protect the fan motor than anything else.

john

If that's the way it was designed, then, that's a pretty bad system design. I've worked in the HVAC field for many years and any multi-speed motor should be able to operate at any speed with no time constraint at design conditions. However, I did not work in the auto HVAC industry. It just seems kind of strange that the motor would be designed that way, especially if there is nothing in the operating manual that states not to run the motor at high speed continuously.

arntufun
03-04-2012, 05:02 PM

john

Here in NY in the dead of winter, Holly's car runs for 15 minutes even before she gets in it. nojoke