PDA

View Full Version : MY COMPUTER

sealfloorboards
03-01-2012, 09:15 AM
My Mac is making all sorts of crazy grinding sounds this morning. Soiunds like it's going to self destruct. Shutting it down. Will get it in asap. May be down for a bit:yikes:. Please bear with me if I don't return your messages right away.

Ride in comfort,

John
Seal FloorBoards

FrankPa
03-01-2012, 07:08 PM
I don't think so... I have a MAC and you know they don't break...

You didn't boot up in Windows did you? Now that will break it for sure!

:yes::yes::yes:

8 LEGS
03-01-2012, 08:12 PM
what kind of mac

Arr MiHardies
03-01-2012, 09:40 PM
Probably a hard drive failure or bad bearing in a fan. Even macs are prone to hardware failure.

SpydherLuv
03-02-2012, 12:47 PM
My iMac used to grind and gurgle like crazy until I cleared the cookies and cache and installed Trend Micro Smart Surfing for Mac. Now I only hear a brief gurgle when searching for files or opening a new Safari window. Even Macs can get bogged down with temp files and cookies.

tobor9
03-02-2012, 02:58 PM
Do make sure you have a current backup as hard drives DO fail,it's not anymore common on PC's then on Mac's but they can and will fail. backup,backup etc.

Lamonster
03-02-2012, 03:27 PM
Do make sure you have a current backup as hard drives DO fail,it's not anymore common on PC's then on Mac's but they can and will fail. backup,backup etc.

:agree:
I hope you're using Time Machine for your backups, I've done two restores from TM and they worked great, as if I never had a problem. :thumbup:

spyder3
03-02-2012, 03:37 PM
:agree:
I hope you're using Time Machine for your backups, I've done two restores from TM and they worked great, as if I never had a problem. :thumbup:

Offsite backups are even better than TM and very affordable these days. nojoke

Crash plan-unlimited data backs up 6 mac computers for business and home.
http://www.crashplan.com/business/compare.html#stackup

zrc
03-02-2012, 03:45 PM
Take it from a former computer systems adminstrator, database admin, programmer, helpdesk, computer guy.

It is not if, it is when. They are pieces that will break, just like our spyders, they are just smaller and full of wonder and lies because of the internet.

I am one of the strangest computer you will ever meet in their early 30s. I abhor most things with computers due to education, experience and the amazingly enormous amount of people heckbent on breaking them (even when they dont mean too). I have been certified in the past by EMC, Microsoft, Apple, IBM, Packard Bell (yep those guys), HP, Dell, and finally SUN. All the machine will and do break, and when it is ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL, it will fail, and oddly enough so will your backup. Not trying to be mean, but just trying to lay down the reality of it all. People are so dependant on computers its scary, I was in a BAR on New Years Eve on the BEACH in PCB. Their computers went down, for 2 hours. They acted like they didnt know how to write down orders and send them to the kitchen without computers, and I proceeded to drink about 100 dollars worth of alcohol that I paid 20 dollars for because the 2 bartenders were under 28 and literally didnt know how to keep a tab without a computer.

Dont be those guys. Phones, Paper, Pencils, US Mail, we have the tools if the magic boxes break!

tobor9
03-02-2012, 08:43 PM
Thats why I use multiple backup systems,on my MacPro I have 4 hard drives main,mirror,storage,and TM. also I copy to a ext. portable 1TB hard drive that I keep in a fire safe. Music and photos are also on our iPods and iCloud . We have six Mac's around the house.:yes:

sealfloorboards
03-03-2012, 09:11 AM
I don't think so... I have a MAC and you know they don't break...

You didn't boot up in Windows did you? Now that will break it for sure!

:yes::yes::yes:

Turns out to be the fan bearing making all the grinding noise. Had a complete cleaning and going thru. Tech. said it was going to explode, just a very bothersome grinding sound. Need a new fan. Couldn't wait and am back in business. It's a 3 yr. old Mac.

John

sealfloorboards
03-03-2012, 09:15 AM
Offsite backups are even better than TM and very affordable these days. nojoke

Crash plan-unlimited data backs up 6 mac computers for business and home.
http://www.crashplan.com/business/compare.html#stackup

I'm looking a Cloud.

spyder-dude
03-03-2012, 10:01 AM
I have a lot of customers that we have setup with idrive backup. I have been using this for a couple of years now. I just recently set this up on my MacBook Pro and is working great. Starts at $49 per year. It is more secure than a lot of the online backup services because you can setup your own encryption key and it offers 256 AES encryption.

http://www.idrive.com/p=advanced_computer_solutions

If you have any questions PM me.

Later,

Shawn