PDA

View Full Version : Bad customer service

DGUTELIUS
02-28-2012, 11:42 AM
I don't know how other dealerships are, but since I have access to only one dealership, I'm pretty much screwed! The dealership Ibringmy. Ike to is St. Tammany marine in mandeville,La. I brought it in for a simple oil change & headlight adjustment last Thursday. The person who wrote the ticket told me they had nothing going on right now and I should have my bike back by the weekend. I went by today to check on the status and the owner ( who is a real gem) argued with me for several minutes , telling me that it states on the form that I signed, that they would have my bike for 5 to 7 days! What? For an oil change? I told him his guy told me I'd have it by the weekend and he told me they were behind and they always keep thebimes 5

ARtraveler
02-28-2012, 11:48 AM
First of all: :welcome:

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Keeping :spyder2: 5-7 days for an oil change, and running into a manager who does not treat you well as a customer--sounds like your getting off to a rocky start.

Keep us posted on the situation.

Clicker1944
02-28-2012, 11:51 AM
Makes me happy to have Route 1 Motorsports in Grant, FL.
They do my normal maintanence....while I wait! Usually have me out the door within 2 hours.

bikeguy
02-28-2012, 12:13 PM
I don't know how far you are from another dealer, but I'd ride a long ways to avoid a dealer that expected me to leave my Spyder for 5 to 7 days for an oil change. The only time I have left mine overnight for a regular service was at the 12,000 mile service when they checked valve clearance. Since the engine needs to be cold to check valve clearance, I rode it in the night before and left it overnight. As far as I'm concerned, there is no excuse for taking more than a few hours for an oil change and if they can't do the service today, let me know when they can and I'll be there on that day. I'm really sorry that you're having this kind of trouble and it makes me appreciate the good service my dealer provides even more.

Cotton

ARtraveler
02-28-2012, 12:37 PM
As I have been pondering this thread, I am seeing a dealer that wants to sell them but not be bothered by the service end of the business.

Does anyone know more about this dealer or has had specific experiences with them? It would be interesting to find out if this is a normal situation or a bump in the road.

zrc
02-28-2012, 01:00 PM
Not to add fuel to the fire, but I had my spyder serviced and they did a rotation, balance, fluids service / check, filter check / replacement and it was about 5 hours.

I had no appointment, and they were busy. And I wasnt exactly excited about the overall time it took.

Just more info for you.

daveinva
02-28-2012, 01:14 PM
Sadly, my local dealer requires several days to do ANY service, no matter how simple. They don't just do Spyders, they do all sorts of bikes, and their service department is literally a two-story tall warehouse-style garage with hundreds of bikes parked in there.

It's not ideal, but at least I know what I'm getting into, i.e. they're not a slow, let alone bad, dealer-- they're just a high volume operation and require those 3-5 day turnarounds.

Still, had I ever been told my bike would be ready in a jiffy just to have them turn around and say they needed more time... yup, I'd be peeved alright! :lecturef_smilie:

NancysToy
02-28-2012, 01:28 PM
Good time to learn to change your own oil and adjust your own headlights. There are some things you need the dealer for, but there is a lot that a reasonably handy person with a few tools can do. Good instruction videos here if you do a search...plus some procedures are in your manual. In cases like these, I am an advocate of DIY.

lyonsden
02-28-2012, 01:45 PM
I made an appointment with by dealer for the first service and I was in and out in a little over 2 hrs. Been pretty happy with them so far. Reno Powersports in KC.

Bob Denman
02-28-2012, 01:49 PM
I am an advocate of DIY.
Scotty,
That would be ideal, but some of us (Mostly ME!) can barely open a jar of peanut butter without drawing blood... :shocked: I rely on the dealership for the stuff that is beyond my capabilities.
D... Sorry to hear that you're getting a runaround... :gaah:Let them know that word-of-mouth advertising can be a double-edged sword...

Good luck! :thumbup:

arntufun
02-28-2012, 01:50 PM
OMG !!!!!!! I am so shocked,,,,,,,,,,, This is the first time I have ever heard that BRP has a bad dealers. :yikes:
:yikes::yikes:

First time today !!!! :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

bullant12
02-28-2012, 01:56 PM
My nearest dealer is on the way to work, but because of the way they treated me from the start (looking at the :spyder2:), I decided to go 10 extra miles to a smaller, more friendly dealer which he (the owner/salesman) told me exactly what I was getting. I schedule my appointment and will call me once it is done, usually over the weekend.

BajaRon
02-28-2012, 02:00 PM
Sounds like your dealer is telling you to do your own service, that he isn't interested in your business and that you can expect more of the same if you come back. I don't know how these people stay in business except that enough customers are willing to be treated this way.

Hopefully you can come up with an alternative.

If you switch to Amsoil you'll cut your oil change issues in 1/2.

boborgera
02-28-2012, 02:34 PM
OMG !!!!!!! I am so shocked,,,,,,,,,,, This is the first time I have ever heard that BRP has a bad dealers. :yikes:
:yikes::yikes:

First time today !!!! :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Being the Devil's Advocate here, But some times the buyers cause the dealers to have a lousy attitude.
If you were ever in retail /vanity [motorcycle's] sales and getting hammed over price, And the old saw i can get the oil filters parts etc, cheaper on the Internet, Well sometimes you sow what you reap.

spyder3
02-28-2012, 02:37 PM
Being the Devil's Advocate here, But some times the buyers cause the dealers to have a lousy attitude.
If you were ever in retail /vanity [motorcycle's] sales and getting hammed over price, And the old saw i can get the oil filters parts etc, cheaper on the Internet, Well sometimes you sow what you reap.

Or is it reap what you sow..:lecturef_smilie:

Euripedes Neves
02-28-2012, 03:13 PM
I had my oil change in Lake City, and after a pad service turn in to 15 days, and i had a oil change, 20 k mls. service and a rear tire replacement and was done in less than 3 hrs. very good service in Jacksonville, I wallways take there for service.

Euripedes Neves
02-28-2012, 03:15 PM
I had my oil change in Lake City, and after a bad service turn in to 15 days, and i had a oil change, 20 k mls. service and a rear tire replacement and was done in less than 3 hrs. very good service in Jacksonville, I wallways take there for service. I DO NOT RECOMEND ENY ONE TO DO SERVICE ON A SPYDER IN LAKE CITY.

bluestratos
02-28-2012, 03:37 PM
I have been in upper management most of my adult life. I remember that at a meeting several junior managers said the customer is not always right. I thought about it and replied, yes, the customer must always feel they were done right by, not necessary getting exactly what want. Once a customer is treated the way you where treated they effectively become their worst nightmare. Bad word of month spreads fast now (ie here with in days) and I am sure you will stop using their service where ever you can by buying off the internet or traveling further to find a more intune dealer. Of couse they will then try to blame you as being a bad cusotmer for this reason as suggest here.

My dealer ship is not perfect but, they really try hard and inturn I make the majority of my purchases from them (they are an hours drive from home) and I am happy to recommend them to all I meet. They almost lost me the first time I had a problems with the bike (the week after I bought it) when a loose battery ground resulted in major fault codes and limp mode. I made it to their shop and they told me I would have to leave the bike with them for a week for the next available time slot. I made it clear that as a new buyer and living so far from them they could either arrange transportation for me or take a quick look in case it was a minor issue. The chose to have a look and an hour later I was back on the road. I felt I was done right by then and they have proven to me again and again that they can do this.

I also believe that each customer is the only customer I have when I deal with them, so if other buyers have been difficult I would never take it out on my current one. A professional manager understands this or they are on a slippery slope to failure.

Good luck with it, be patient with them for they "not know what they do". Your next call after that should be to BRP advising of the issue. By the way, all of the service documents you sign say pretty much the same thing. Cross it out and write in the time line they tell you if it differs. If they refuse to do the work with out the clause you at least know of their intentions.

One other thing, I bought a used car from a reputable dealer one time and it had undisclosed issues they should have known about (3rd gear syncro spring broken and resulted in a grind on the shift to 4th. They refused to do anything about it so I politely left and started researching my options. I called the Better Buisness Buraeu and they said there is in impied obligation but that unless I wanted to sue them I should offer to meet them half way. I came back in person the next day and told them I would pay for parts if they paid for labor. They said no so I said "shame, the BBB suggest this resolve" but as you will not do the correct thing I will have get it fixed elsewhere and then go to small debts court to recover the costs. The manager became furious and put me in a small office and basically blew his top at me. You see it was not the threat of court but the fact I called the BBB that set him off. We agreed to work it out as I suggested. The parts cost me $20, they paid for the labor to pull the front wheel drive tanny and all sundries such as oil. In that case I did not feel done right by so I warned all I met of the incident. Long story to say, there is more than one way to skin a cat, lol.

spyder-dude
02-28-2012, 05:31 PM
I had over 25,000 miles on my first spyder and 6,000 on my second spyder. I have always scheduled appointments for the oil changes and they where done while I waited. I would find a new dealer for sure. I know there are a lot of great dealers out there but there are some bad ones as well. Check out the recommended spyder dealers thread!

IGETAROUND
02-28-2012, 07:44 PM
I don't know how other dealerships are, but since I have access to only one dealership, I'm pretty much screwed! The dealership Ibringmy. Ike to is St. Tammany marine in mandeville,La. I brought it in for a simple oil change & headlight adjustment last Thursday. The person who wrote the ticket told me they had nothing going on right now and I should have my bike back by the weekend. I went by today to check on the status and the owner ( who is a real gem) argued with me for several minutes , telling me that it states on the form that I signed, that they would have my bike for 5 to 7 days! What? For an oil change? I told him his guy told me I'd have it by the weekend and he told me they were behind and they always keep thebimes 5

Why not take it across the causeway to New Orleans; there's got to be a dealer there also:chill:

neelbert
02-28-2012, 09:28 PM
Why not take it across the causeway to New Orleans; there's got to be a dealer there also:chill:IO I'm a small business owner and deal with the public on a daily basis my customers are not a number! WE go the extra mile we do what we say were going to do everytime and my customers appreciate this. Now this said I was a heavy equip.mech for 30 years took my 2010 rt to a dealer in mobile with a few minor issues on dec 12. passenger grips would not heat, water leak , trunk would not open with switch. After 30+ days they never found the water leak did replace thegrips switch.and did a gear pos. update.I picked it up made it to the first red light clutch would not release nor at the next four lights.I returned to the dealer Told them the clutch would not release .They were lost wanted to hoor buds up finally got them to call brp. tech told them to put a clutch in it. they replaced it 2 weeks later Ipick it up clutch slipping,chattering took it back told them its assembled wrong or shimmed wrong.they never attempted to correct it to busy trying to figure out who was going to pay to correct there mistake. I picked it up wed last week I found another dealer on this site called the service mrg. told him my problem he agreed I had a problem took it to him friday He checked the clutch while i was there said its nowhere nere right. they know what to do. the others were nice but vwere not interested in fixing my bike.

DGUTELIUS
02-28-2012, 09:42 PM
First of all: :welcome:

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Keeping :spyder2: 5-7 days for an oil change, and running into a manager who does not treat you well as a customer--sounds like your getting off to a rocky start.

Keep us posted on the situation.
Thanks to all for the response. I failed to mention that I also had them do a 9000 mi check. I normally do my own oil change, but since I needed the 9000 mi check, i figured I'd let them change the oil and check the lights. The service advisor told me that it wouldn't take long for the service, but it was the OWNER who gave me the grief today. But surprisingly enough, after we had "Words", I received a call from the service advisor about 3pm telling me my bike was ready... Surprise...Suprise. I will, however, call or write BRP and let them know what happened and hopefully someone else won't have to go through this as I did. I will not go back to this dealership, but will have to drive about 50 miles for any future service ( other than what I can do on my own) Again, thanks everyone!!!!

Dar
02-28-2012, 09:46 PM
Bought my RT in Kenner. Had some work done in Denham since it is close to Baton Rouge where I usually work.
They did my 600 mile service, replaced rear shock. But could not figure out why it would just die for no reason. Service writer was lost about the RT. Also this dealer has been having problems with the feds lately. So I brought to the dealer you are talking about. They fixed the problem. It was the right hand control assembly. But they did not have any ramps to aid in loading spyder on trailer :dontknow:. The bike had a lot of dirt dust water spots all over. They must leave them out back in the covered area. Looks like their main work is for boats. My next dealer I will try will be in Kenner. There is also one in Hattiseburg, MS. You can cut through the woods and try them. Also if I am home (yea right) we can change the oil.

Motogordo
03-03-2012, 12:53 PM
Mar.3, 2012
I purchased my 2011 RTS/SE5 from " East Coast Cycle Center" in Bensalem, Pa. They are a FANTASTIC CanAm dealer in addition to a Honda dealer, plus hundreds of beautiful used bikes. Every single time I bring it in for service, I just wait and enjoy talking to the employees while they do my service. They are very professional and very thorough. I wouldn't bring my Spyder anywhere else for service unless I was too far away to get it there. I also purchased an extended warranty. I now have about 3,600 miles and everything is A-okay.
Gordon from Delanco, N.J. 08075:yes:

MikeinGA
03-03-2012, 09:31 PM

Write a letter to BRP or maybe they will READ THIS and call you. :pray:

Mike