PDA

View Full Version : XM RADIO RENEWAL SHOCK...

Mr. White
02-27-2012, 04:09 PM
My XM radio subscription runs out in few days. I received a renewal notice in the mail. The renewal for my truck and BR1 for one year would be $140 for each unit. ($560 for two units for two years) This includes taxes. I will drop XM when my subscription is up in March.

:spyder2:

Y Rider
02-27-2012, 04:25 PM
My subsciption was about to expire so when I called to renew I told them to cancel it after I was given the price you were given. I was then offered a price $98 with all fees. If you are sure you want to cancel they may also offer a special price to keep your business.

Alberts46
02-27-2012, 04:30 PM
I turn mine off when leaving my winter home for the season. This year they had a 6 month deal for $25.00 to renew the old subscription. Hope they have that every year, may not help those that use the bike year around.

Y Rider
02-27-2012, 04:38 PM
I turn mine off when leaving my winter home for the season. This year they had a 6 month deal for $25.00 to renew the old subscription. Hope they have that every year, may not help those that use the bike year around.

I have an XM radio in my car that I had deactivated. I recently got a 2 week free trial followed by a $25 6 month subscription offer so evidently it is still available.

Dudley
02-27-2012, 05:12 PM
Same here on the Escape. Had a free 6 months when I got the Ford, let it expire after 6, got crazy price. Got the $25/6 months and signed up again. I am not that much for radio/music so when this runs out I will drop it again, but that price is less than $5/mo.

Smokinspyder
02-27-2012, 05:14 PM
HOLY CRAP ... I about spit my drink out I remember when it first came out and I got my stuff for free. $148 for a year or $98 for a year ...:yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes: . But there are times I do miss having my XM .. ahh the god ole days. I wonder if my Alpine direct link or my Pioneer Inno still are activated hmmm Im going to check that out. The inno was connected via a old vendors account so it may still be active.

Kinderhook
02-27-2012, 05:26 PM
I had the same experience last year. My original subscription was $77 on a promotion. When I called to cancel after the rate went to $140 the operator transferred me to a customer rep who renewed for another year at the $77 rate.

Yfactor
02-27-2012, 05:40 PM
Two years ago when I activated my car XM I was given a lifetime subscription for $560 with transfer three times for no further fees after calling and talking with them.

aka1004
02-27-2012, 06:36 PM
They have been sending that renewal offer every month but I don't see a need for it now.
I get better programming with less commercials with online radio on my phone, music and stand up comics.
A lot of people like those musician/personnel specific stations, I think but none are my musicians.

Firefly
02-27-2012, 06:36 PM
Tunein radio app is 100% free. Plenty of similar offerings on both iPhone and droid. I listen to Radio Paradise all the time too. No commercials. Great music.

mxz600
02-27-2012, 06:50 PM
I had the same experience last year. My original subscription was $77 on a promotion. When I called to cancel after the rate went to $140 the operator transferred me to a customer rep who renewed for another year at the $77 rate.

+1

Same thing with Sirius on my wife's Fusion.

dancogan
02-27-2012, 07:12 PM
My problem was replacing the radio after about 1 year. That happened twice, when the connection to the antenna went bad. A new radio was around $100, so dropping Sirius was a no-brainer for me. They kept trying to offer me lower prices, for months after I let it expire, but I'm just not interested in what they offer for $140/year.

cjackg
02-27-2012, 07:14 PM
I went through something similar recently when I went to renew my Sirius XM subscription. When I mentioned I had recently received a mailed offer related to an old account, they said "no problem" and applied it to my current account!
Looks like you just have to refuse their quote and look for any angle that will open up old pricing!

Sopher
02-27-2012, 10:19 PM
I've always received the 50% off discount for my XM radios.
Check Fatwallet.com and search. ask the reps and you will eventually get it. Even if you have to threaten closing your account.

WackyDan
02-27-2012, 10:39 PM
You should get a discount for your 2nd radio and not have to pay full price.

For those of you with XM and Sirius units, Sirius is now allowing that same discount between Xm and Sirius units.

Mr. White
02-27-2012, 11:06 PM
They said they are giving me a 30% discount on the second radio (BR1) but I said "too high. I quit." I will wait and see what they do...I did not have a radio on my scoots for 40 years so I know I can live without XM. I have AM/FM....we will see.

bullant12
02-28-2012, 09:00 AM
Once you call them to cancel the subscription, they will offer you a good deal. Sometimes they even throw a free radio (which I don't need). I just added my Garmin and my Tacoma and I'm paying $175 a year for 3 vehicles and internet radio (app).

MarkLawson
02-28-2012, 09:37 AM
I'm on their family plan (I think that is the name) where I pay full price for the first radio & then something like $7.95 for each of the others. I think I also buy the first radio plan in 5-year blocks, which is discounted.

GypsyBill
02-28-2012, 10:54 AM
Don't give in too soon George... I called to cancel Sirius in my truck and 3 months later after about a dozen phone call offers and numerous emails they were finally down to $5 a month... only catch was when that renewed, it was back up to the original $160+... told them no for the last time and they finally shut off my Sirius...

Wattsmyname
02-28-2012, 10:47 PM
Signed up as a Lifetime subscriber years ago, $495 one time payment...never get another bill...my kids can argue over it one day, now that is cheap service

PCBeachBum
02-29-2012, 05:03 AM
I had XM radio in my truck and paid $98.00 every 3 months and than decided to cancel it after it ran out. I only listened to one channel, channel 46 and couldn't see paying for all the others. Calling them they gave me the lowest rate and channels they could for $39.48 every 3 months, I kept it for the colder months than canceled it after ryding the Spyder more than driving the truck. I don't miss it and besides I have a cd player in the truck and since it won't eject, I listen to the same cd over and over. Good thing its one of my favorite cd's. I have to get it over to the dealership to get it fixed, before the warranty runs out. Now I'm getting special offers like everyone else and got one Tuesday for $25.00. I didn't bother to open it, I'm not interested and can use the $ some place else, like in the gas tank.

Bob Denman
02-29-2012, 07:56 AM
We let our Sirius subscription lapse in January when the renewal bill was a touch over $150... A week after the lapse we got the reduced 50% offer and jumped on it. I now see that's the way that they do business... Refuse once to gett he best offer... :gaah:

Mr. White
02-29-2012, 12:14 PM
I have been a XM subscriber for many years. They seem to have more "deals" than an Iranian fruit market... I will wait them out and see how it goes. The price given was not that bad but the 15% sales and federal taxes added broke my back....we will see and I will report back...thanks for you inputs.

:spyder2:

Bob Denman
02-29-2012, 12:46 PM
Good luck! :thumbup:

Chazzman
02-29-2012, 08:29 PM
I just received two renewal notices in the mail on two different vehicles. $25.00 for 6 months.