PDA

View Full Version : RT SWAY BAR

spyderdmb1621
02-27-2012, 07:58 AM
I just ordered the last sway bar for the RT today on ebay, any one have feedback?

Questions
02-29-2012, 04:34 AM
Hi if its the Evo sway bar check it against original if the arms are shorter, dont bother fitting. I did, it touches the frame and causes the plastic hangers to fail, by pulling them out of line by over 50mm, this is well documented, I informed the factory after fitting mine, and from an engineering background, that I thought the design was lacking and it would cause problems, they ignored me never even answered email, and two months later and only low milage, it did fail, I removed it, refitting the original, and returning the evo, hardly noticed any difference, should have gone with the new front shocks, much better improvement. sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear, but if you do fit it, have a good look at it underneath for clearance and angles, even noting clearance on the original first, and take into account if you load the spyder up they will touch even harder on the cross frame and under heavy cornering than just static, and when it does touch it is no longer acting as a sway bar it is just jammed against the cross member, 1 or 2 mm static clearance is a waste of time. maybe the above is why they no longer sell them! sorry! all the best Don

Grandpa Spyder
02-29-2012, 05:43 AM
Hi if its the Evo sway bar check it against original if the arms are shorter, dont bother fitting. I did, it touches the frame and causes the plastic hangers to fail, by pulling them out of line by over 50mm, this is well documented, I informed the factory after fitting mine, and from an engineering background, that I thought the design was lacking and it would cause problems, they ignored me never even answered email, and two months later and only low milage, it did fail, I removed it, refitting the original, and returning the evo, hardly noticed any difference, should have gone with the new front shocks, much better improvement. sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear, but if you do fit it, have a good look at it underneath for clearance and angles, even noting clearance on the original first, and take into account if you load the spyder up they will touch even harder on the cross frame and under heavy cornering than just static, and when it does touch it is no longer acting as a sway bar it is just jammed against the cross member, 1 or 2 mm static clearance is a waste of time. maybe the above is why they no longer sell them! sorry! all the best Don

I am sure he would rather find out now instead of later. Thanks for sharing info.

dtspyder
02-29-2012, 09:19 AM
I just ordered the last sway bar for the RT today on ebay, any one have feedback?

Would you entertain selling it for ,say,$20.00 spread out at $5.00 a month????
Don

J W Miller
02-29-2012, 02:03 PM
Strange I put one on my RT and what a change it made in the way the bike performs on the road.Would not be with out it. To bad it is out of production now.May be some one will step up and produce one.

MMcc
02-29-2012, 03:48 PM
Mine is on a 2011 RT and at first kind of disappointed that I did not see much difference. Did not see a clearance problem. Played with the shocks and set them up from 3 to 4. Very happy with the results. Was it the sway bar or the shocks? Had tried the sway bar on a 2010 and big difference without changing shocks. Just my 2 cents.

Tonga
02-29-2012, 04:38 PM
I have had my Evo sway bar on for almost two years of driving and no problems. But and I say but, I did not find enough of a difference then the OEM bar so I went to the Elkas and now there is a huge difference. Day and night doesn't exprese it good enough. Elka shocks is all that is needed, no sway bar.

fastfraser
02-29-2012, 07:37 PM
The sway bar made a huge difference on my RS ! not so much on the RT. To get the ride I got on the RS I put Elkas on the RT and that alone made a world of difference .:thumbup:

Bob Denman
03-01-2012, 09:35 AM
Hi if its the Evo sway bar check it against original if the arms are shorter, dont bother fitting.

Don, Could you perhaps have been sent a bar for the GS/RS models by mistake? :dontknow:

cjackg
03-01-2012, 09:19 PM
Hi if its the Evo sway bar check it against original if the arms are shorter, dont bother fitting. I did, it touches the frame and causes the plastic hangers to fail, by pulling them out of line by over 50mm, this is well documented..... all the best Don I have installed and used an Evo swaybar on both a 2010 and a 2012 RT. Neither one touched the frame cross member when installed and both gave immediate improvement in the Rt handling as to leaning in the curves.
This is the 2nd time I have heard this type of report but well documented? , and have to wonder if the bar was not installed properly. And, yes, the arms on both the Evos I used were shorter, that is how they got the stiffer bar!

Questions
03-02-2012, 12:41 AM
Don, Could you perhaps have been sent a bar for the GS/RS models by mistake? :dontknow:

H i Bob, No that was the first thing I checked because in the advertising, they do show the non Rt and you can see the arms are much longer, do all the RTs vary that much in manufacture that some bars are only 2mm off the cross member? and others are OK, I think not, and anyway shortening the arms pulls the hangers a lot out of line, even with the original they start a bit out of line, IE not dead upright, something I did not notice, or just how much until it failed, and I jacked the bike right up so I could see what I was going on properly, I have only heard of this problem on the RT. I think they should have left the bar ends the same length as original and increased the thickness of bar or used a much higher grade of steel, they took the easy option, my opinion for what it worth, safe riding over there, Regards Don

mrb
03-02-2012, 01:51 AM

Hi Bob
I have sold probably 15 or 20 RT sway bars here in Australia and many more GS/RS bars. The issue Don (jackndon) had is the first time I have struck it (it was an RT bar an RS bar would not come close to fitting an RT) however doing some research on the US forums I discovered a couple of RT owners (and one RS owner) who had found these rod ends had cracked - even though they still had their standard OEM sway bar on. No reports of any actually failing yet and Evoluzione had not struck the problem but it seems like its something that just affects a few RT's (mainly).

I am not sure by any means but this issue may to relate to ride height. That is people with their suspension set softer may tend to experience an issue with the links coming into contact with the frame but those with stiffer suspension and therefore a greater ride height, do not as the links hang more vertically. If the links make contact with the frame when cornering a "click" sound can usually be heard.

spyderdmb1621
03-04-2012, 02:06 PM
OK, noe going back to my original thread.....I have a sway bar for an RT, if anyone is interested in buying it, PM me.

Dan