PDA

View Full Version : drilling holes in the spyder

Ken & Joyce
02-26-2012, 01:45 PM
would like to mount a carrier on the rear trunk lid. Has any one drilled holes in the plastic that it is made of and if so what are some precautions one should take,:yikes: other than make sure the holes are in the right place.:bowdown:

DougB
02-26-2012, 02:15 PM
Start with a tiny drill as a guide. Use masking tape to mark where the holes go. Drill thru the tape. I've never done the Spyder, but have when mounting plastic/fibergalas on other bikes.

bluestratos
02-26-2012, 07:58 PM
On the RT you can seperate the lid cover form the hinge portion with 4 screws. You can the see where you are bolting. You may want to be sure you get the bolts in a postion so a couple pass through, on my trunk rack two pass through by the hinge. This carries the load better.

Good luck,

Randy

TuckMiddle
02-26-2012, 08:39 PM
What kind of rack are you thinking about? Only one I've seen is Inspector Gadget's. I have several of his "inventions" and they are really good quality. The rack he has is very nice also, I have not purchased it yet, but haven't seen anything like it, so probably will.:banghead:

Tuck

bluestratos
02-26-2012, 10:10 PM
What kind of rack are you thinking about? Only one I've seen is Inspector Gadget's. I have several of his "inventions" and they are really good quality. The rack he has is very nice also, I have not purchased it yet, but haven't seen anything like it, so probably will.:banghead:

Tuck
Yup, thats thetrack. It lacks a bit of quality but works fine. I plan to make some minor improvementst for looks, the exposed nut over the angled washer is kinda tacky and the paint is cracked all over.

Ken & Joyce
02-27-2012, 12:04 AM
I have a couple of thoughts. One my son is a welder and he is making me one that will be chromed, I made one out of wood that looks pretty good just pine, thinking about doing one out of teak. Done nothing about mounting them yet. Alittle scared I guess the lid can be replaced if it does not turn out.:helpsmilie:

Bob Denman
02-27-2012, 07:33 AM
Doug covered the "how-to" just fine... :thumbup:
If it helps; Try to remember that this lid is just a piece of replaceable plastic! :shocked:
Good luck and please show us your handywork when it's done! :2thumbs:

NancysToy
02-27-2012, 09:06 AM
Mark the lid whil it is still on the Spyder, but remove the lid outer cover to drill it. You do not want to drill through the inner lid. You must bolt the rack to the lid before you reinstall. Be sure to use some masking tape where you drill the holes, to prevent marring. Center punching the hole locations is a good ide, even before drilling a tiny pilot hole.