PDA

View Full Version : How long before you got your license and drove???

Joanie
02-25-2012, 09:36 PM
We bought our Spyder in July. I haven't gotten the guts to go take my test and get certified to drive. Kev has let me drive in a few parking lots. For others in my position, how long did it take you??
Thanks
Joanie

DynamoBT
02-25-2012, 09:47 PM
I can't answer your question because I had my motorcycle license before I got my Spyder. First rode one on a BRP Demo Ryde in '09.

Is there an MSF three wheel course in your area?? That might be the best way to learn and get a license waiver at the same time. I'm actually going to take the MSF three wheel course in May just because brushing up never hurt and it will be fun!! Do a search for Motorcycle Safety Foundation. On their site they have links to local courses.

Best of luck getting out there. It's a blast!! But you want to be a safe as you can too.

SpyderAnn01
02-26-2012, 12:03 AM
I hit the ground running when I got my Spyder. I started riding in June of 2010 but didn't get my license until that September - I had a learners permit only. By the time I got my license I had put over 6,000 miles on it.

Do what makes you feel comfortable but I think you need to get some road miles under your belt before you take the test. Do you get a learner's permit in MO?

tobor9
02-26-2012, 12:33 AM
In South Carolina no MC license is needed for triks,my wife(SDM) and have never driven a MC and don't plan to. That's way we picked the Spyder:yes:

ARtraveler
02-26-2012, 02:21 AM
akspyderlady got her permit at the end of 2011. She will ride most of the summer on the permit and will take the drivers test after about 5000 miles--towards the end of season 2012.

2NFrnt
02-26-2012, 09:42 AM
We bought our Spyder in July. I haven't gotten the guts to go take my test and get certified to drive. Kev has let me drive in a few parking lots. For others in my position, how long did it take you??
Thanks
Joanie

Joanie, just go to your license office and get a learners permit and practice and then ride to your hearts content. The only thing you can't do is ride at night. If the permit expires just go get another one. Missouri is very liberal in this area; they will keep extending your permit forever it seems. Once you are confident enough then go take the test. Too bad we don’t have trike MSF classes here.

SpyderAnn01
02-26-2012, 10:11 AM
Joanie, just go to your license office and get a learners permit and practice and then ride to your hearts content. The only thing you can't do is ride at night. If the permit expires just go get another one. Missouri is very liberal in this area; they will keep extending your permit forever it seems. Once you are confident enough then go take the test. Too bad we don’t have trike MSF classes here.

Does the MO permit allow you to have a passenger and are you required to be in sight of a licensed MC rider? If they only have the one Spyder this could be a problem. So the solution is to buy a second Spyder and practice, practice, practice.

SteveMac
02-26-2012, 11:25 AM
Does the MO permit allow you to have a passenger and are you required to be in sight of a licensed MC rider? If they only have the one Spyder this could be a problem. So the solution is to buy a second Spyder and practice, practice, practice.

You know how it goes with these things. When I got my original MO permit, I was told that there would be no limitations by the officer in charge. However, in doing some research I found that for drivers over 16 that two restrictions apply. No nights and no passengers. Kinda different from the "no restrictions" I was told at the testing center. Anyway I posted this link to a site with some clarification.

http://www.dmv.org/mo-missouri/motorcycle-license.php

Joanie
02-26-2012, 12:16 PM
Thanks Steve that is what I thought. (My mom and I had the DMV in Troy for 15 years many moons ago.) I didn't think that had changed. Think I might bite the bullet study and get my permit. At least I can somewhat legally drive. Don't know if the boss will let me out on my own.

CJ/johnnyg
02-26-2012, 12:44 PM
I rode hubby's RT around the yard. He had me doing figure 8's, and practicing backing for a few weeks, then I took the 3 wheel course on his RT here in Fl we can do that here. All you have to do is take the paper in to show you passed and they give you the endorsement. Of course it didn't take me long to want my own. About 2 months later I bought my RS. I didn't like sharing. It was money well spent. I have just over 8,000 mi. on it right now, I bought it in May 2011. Just go at your own speed and feel comfortable and ride your own ride.

orangespy
02-27-2012, 09:48 PM
I rode mine a good 6 months before getting mine....

smurfette
03-08-2012, 03:14 PM
Thanks
Joanie

I bought my Smurfette back in Sept. of 2010. She's a 2010 RT-A (with a few mods of course!). I rode through the winter on a permit, and as soon as the first MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) sidecar/trike course that was available for the season, which was in early May of 2011. A good idea to help you get ready for licensing would be to do the practice excercises that are in your owner's manual. Definitely look into additional training from the MSF though. Welcome, Spyder Sister, and Ryde Safe!!!

chisel_maker
03-08-2012, 03:49 PM
Bought our Spyder Jan 21. :clap:
Rode it 40 miles home Jan 25 (no license) :pray:
Wife and I took a class from ABATE of Colorado Jan 28 and 29. :thumbup:
Went to Dept. of motor vehicles Jan 30 and got license.
Been riding every day that the weather permits.
Happy, Happy, Happy :clap:

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-10-2012, 12:04 AM
welcome aboard, let the party begin.......Mike.....:2excited:

Blondie
03-11-2012, 09:01 AM
Thanks
Joanie

I started riding a Harley Trike up and down the drive way (about half mile). And went and got the Driver's Manual to study. Did that for at least a month before I got my nerve up to take the written test. I got my "learners permit" and actually went out on the Harley Trike for a couple months before I went and took the test. You can do it---I was 60 years old when I made the decision. I did a test drive of the Can Am at Bikes, Blues and BBQ at Fayetteville last October and became an owner of a new Limited about 3 weeks ago.

JJW SpyderRider
03-11-2012, 10:41 AM
I bought my '09 GS in March of '10 and had never had a MC license. I took the MSF course at the end of April. I finally was able to take my first test ride and drove around the block and kept making bigger circles around the neigborhood until I was running down the highway. 0 to 55 mph in about 15 minutes of riding :yikes:. I didn't have any two wheel habits to break so the learning curve was fairly short. :yes:

DaGrlz
03-12-2012, 08:42 AM
We purchased the Spyder Mar 16th last year and took our MC test on Apr 1st. But that being said we live in the county and put over 600 miles on the spyder riding every chance we got before the test. We are also big ATV riders and the spyder handles just like our ATV's. I found the Ohio MC course requirements online and we set-up in a parking lot and practiced...practiced and practice a little more until we knew we could past the test. Our issue was in Ohio you can't ride two-up unless you have a MC license.

We were motivated by the Ohio restriction more then anything. My suggestion would be find the MC license course online and set it up in a parking lot then practice. It helped us a great deal.

Good Luck!

GloryRyders
03-13-2012, 04:17 AM
Got my permit the day before we brought the first Spyder ('09 RS SE5) home from Cowtown and took the test and passed a week later. :2thumbs: It sure didn't take very long to get used to ryding and have the confidence to pass the test.

RydeOn3Wyfe
03-13-2012, 06:22 AM
Well i am glad to say i was 62 years old when i got my beginners.
Never driven before and it was very exciting for myself and husband
(RydeOnThree) who got his license also. It all started when we
were both encouraged to get our license with the thought of travelling via bike when we retire.We purchased a Suzuki 250 cc first and then GOT beginners.We both starting riding the 250 until
it was time to go for our M2 which is the next step up.My husband then started to look at bikes and the Spyder adventures was not long after that. We got our Spyder 2011 in April 2011 and it was different driving a trike and we received good info from this site about giving ourselves time to get use to the ride.So with that i am enjoying the RIDE and look for opportunity to get on and ryde.

SpyderLady
03-13-2012, 09:16 AM
Don't know if the boss will let me out on my own.

Well we will solve that:yes: We will just get you your own:ohyea:
:ohyea::ohyea::ohyea::ohyea:

Joanie
03-13-2012, 09:54 PM
Linda... suggest that as Christmas present!!!!:pray:

Birthday is in June, think that is to quick!!! LOL!!!

Wishing there was a "pink" one as that is my favorite color, but then again, Len and Danny can do amazing work!!!

adopted orphans
03-14-2012, 10:49 PM
I got my Spyder last year for my birthday, March 19. I got my permit in April and drove on it until October. It had expired in September but I was in the hospital and could not take the test. I had a 6 month grace period so in October when I was able I took the test and passed...thank you Jesus. It was very stressful for me because I was so scared of failing but actually it was easy. I had never rode a bike until we got the Syder. I love the fact that I can ride anytime I want. Although we only have one Spyder, Jeff is man enough to ride on the back and let me drive anytime I want.

GloryRyders
03-15-2012, 06:41 AM
Linda... suggest that as Christmas present!!!!:pray:

Birthday is in June, think that is to quick!!! LOL!!!

Wishing there was a "pink" one as that is my favorite color, but then again, Len and Danny can do amazing work!!!

How about getting one for April Fool's Day or everyone's favorite April 15th (Tax Day).:gaah::dontknow: Then you would have it for Spyderfest!:yes::yes::roflblack:

Bytemi
03-18-2012, 07:32 PM
I got my learners permit a week after I got my Spyder. 30 days later, Virginia law, I took my test and got my license. About 500 miles in training.

michigal
03-18-2012, 09:15 PM
I rode motorcycles in high school (a long time ago). Intended to get licensed for a two-wheeler and took a motorcycle safety course, discovered I wasn't as competent with a two-wheeler as I used to be. So decided to get a Spyder. Took the written test at the DMV, got a learners permit for a trike and had to ride with another rider until I took the road test, which I did within 30 days of getting my "learners permit." That was two summers ago, and I've logged over 6,000 miles since then and am planning a ride to Florida and back.

Take your time, get comfortable on the Spyder and enjoy the heck out of it.

Chikez
03-20-2012, 05:55 PM
I took the motorcycle safety course. More states are allowing you to take the test on the Spyder so take the course. You will feel much more confident. In most states, taking the course gives you a certificate to take to your MVA and get your license. My partner did not pass the first time, but the Safety course let her come back and practice for an hour before the next test and take the test with that session. She passed and got her license.

I suggest the course because it will teach you about riding in general raising your comfort level.

Good luck.... You can do it. ;)

Joanie
03-20-2012, 06:08 PM
Thanks everyone for your encouragement. I am sure that I will get it later rather than sooner. My son is getting married this summer, so I don't think I will have the opportunity to study much. We are busy trying to get ready for Spyderfest, then college graduation, then the wedding, then our annual 4th of July Party. So it might have to wait till this fall. So then next year I will ask Kev for a Spyder for Christmas!!!:joke:

webweaver
03-24-2012, 06:46 PM
Got my permit (written test only) while I was waiting for my new spyder to arrive, took the driving part of the test a week after I picked up the bike. The bike is so easy to handle and I had never driven a bike before. Enjoy! Penny

Elwood58
03-24-2012, 07:02 PM
No endorsement required here in California. I had an M1 Endorsement years ago, but then moved to a couple of other states. Got rid of my two wheeler while in Arizona, so never got the endorsement when I moved back to California.

SpyderDuck
03-24-2012, 10:35 PM
I bought Clyde on a sunny Saturday in September 2010. My sister, Catniption, rode it home for me on Sunday, and had me riding in circles and figure 8s in the cul-de-sac where I live that afternoon. I spent that week riding the Spyder around the development (state maintained road, but one of my neighbors was a deputy with the sheriff's department, and he was cool with it) and studying for the 'written' test. took the test on Friday and got my learner's permit, which at that time was good for 18 months. I kept trying to get in a trike class, but none were scheduled in my state last year, and with my permit expiring soon, I took the road test earlier this month, and passed it easily, despite my nervousness.