PDA

View Full Version : Looking for suggestions for carrying camping gear

ulflyer
02-25-2012, 07:49 PM
Thinking of doing some traveling with camping gear this spring.
Will use the typical 2/3 man ten, sleeping bag, mattress of some type, etc. I envision the tent and bag will have to go on the back seat which presents a problem when gassing up.
Having to unload to gas up will be a pain.

Don't see any other alternative for packing, but thought i'd ask as there are lots of folks here that are experienced campers.

Has anyone come up with a method of altering the seat so that it doesnt have to be raised to gas up? I know about Corbins but I'm going to have to make do with what I have.

Oldmanzues
02-25-2012, 08:24 PM
Have you looked into Inspector gadget's trunk rack ? I use mine a lot for small or need to get to right now stuff. I do not remember if he has a weight limit or not.
I will also add, trying putting all your stuff in Zip lock bags. For example, a days underwear will compress to almost nothing. Insert the stuff and press the air out. I pack (over pack? ) for a week with no problems.
I am just not sure if I traveled in the old days with a AWOL bag tied to the grab rail on my BSA, but I think I remember doing it.
Ride safe
Oldmanzues

NancysToy
02-25-2012, 09:22 PM
When I tent camp with the Spyder I put as much as I can in a Helen2Wheels bag and/or a SealLine bag. The tent stays in its own bag. I can pile 2-3 bags on the rear seat. I usually use Piggyack Straps for multiple bags, attached to the grab bars. It is pretty easy to just loosen the straps at gas stops, to raise the seat, then cinch everything back down after you are done. The Helen Bag has loops to keep the cargo straps from slipping off when loosened. You will have to stick your helmet or something under the seat to keep it open while you fuel up. I keep saying that I am going to make a prop stick, but I never seem to get it done. I made half a dozen gas stops on my way to Spyderfest last year, and never took my bags all the way off. Only added a minute or two to my stops.

I don't have a pic of my Spyder loaded for camping, but here is a pic of Nancy's, before she had saddlebags. The best advice I could offer would be to pack light. If a backpacker can stash a week's worth of gear in a single backpack, you can do the same on an RT...probably without ever piling a single item on the seat. If you prefer more luxury, a bit of bother during gas stops is the price you pay.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14260&d=1226435249

Bob Denman
02-26-2012, 09:05 AM
Have you looked into Inspector gadget's trunk rack ?
:agree: Plus maybe adding a trap door to your seat for fueling will help... I think that there's a fellow down in Florida who can do that on the stock seat...
Does anybody have that link??? I think he called himself the "Ass-Man"... :dontknow: