PDA

View Full Version : Just took delivery of my new RT Friday night

GLRange
02-25-2012, 09:52 AM
Well I finally got my Spyder RT (pearl white limited) after following Spyderlovers for nearly a year and watching all Lamont's videos and researching it to death as I always do with any major purchase. I picked it up Friday night right after work after finding it hard to sleep last couple nights.

First I will say that I actually purchased the RT without ever test driving one...yes I know probably not the wisest thing to do with any vehicle but I knew I really wanted one and had spent some time around them, not to menton I wasn't endorsed on a motorcycle yet.

I have a total of 10 miles on the RT after just fueling it up this morning and spent about 2 hours playing with all the gadgets on the display etc last night and I can say I am really liking it so far and it seems to have plenty of power...was kinda shocked how responsive the throttle is but I am being very gentle with it till the 600 mile checkup.

I was also impressed by the vast range of the rear suspension air settings...it felt like it might slam all the way to the ground when I first tried it and it has quite an effect on the aiming of the headlights...lol. :P

There is one issue that needs to be dealt with and I found a bit disturbing on a machine like this I believe this should be checked out better.
The problem is that the left rear cargo compartment pops open on its own when it seems to be latched. This happened twice just getting it home Friday within 3 miles. (Dealer is very close by). Of the two latch catches the back one seems to latch correctly and the front one doesn't seem to engage at all even pushing inward hard on it. I tried loosening the 8 torx screws on the two hinges to get some adjustment but there simply isn't enough play there to get it to latch correctly...the lid just seems to be way out of alignment.

The dealer is aware of problem and promised to take care of it but it looks like they may have to replace that whole left side to me...it's just too far off alignment and you can see that it's just not gonna happen. I though about oblonging some of the hinge holes with a dremel to get a liitle more range of adjustment but I want my dealer to have a crack at it first before I mess with it.

Anyway, even with the 200mph tape holding the left side hatch closed...I am still loving my new Spyder RT

My plan for today is to read the manual, look over the bike a little more and check the tire pressures. Then figure out what all that stuff in the GPS box is...and maybe get that hooked up and working. I am going to have fun my first day of ownership and try not to let the tupperware "issue" bother me...in the end it will get fixed one way or another.

Hope you all have fun this weekend and if anyone has anything to share for a new owner....I am all ears. I have been following these posts for while now so I remember a few things to check but any comments/suggestions are appreciated. Thanks! :thumbup:

Dizneyman
02-25-2012, 10:01 AM
:yes: Enjoy my friend!!! I have had mine only a short time, and its the best purchase I have ever made. You will get the few little items ironed out quickly.... Ryde safe my friend!!

SpyderAnn01
02-25-2012, 10:15 AM
:congrats: I would think they can adjust the latch properly without having to replace it.

jimclarkf1
02-25-2012, 10:15 AM
You have a lot of TEXAS SPYDERS to ride with and come to SPYDERFEST 3,

SpydherLuv
02-25-2012, 11:08 AM
:welcome:

Your dealer didn't give you a Spyder with a full tank of gas??!! :lecturef_smilie:

GLRange
02-25-2012, 11:39 AM
:welcome:

Your dealer didn't give you a Spyder with a full tank of gas??!! :lecturef_smilie:

No they did not...was at a quarter tank, and I did notice it and would have appreciated a full tank since I did just spend quite a bit of money. I was also told that it would be test riddin before I picked it up and I don't believe it was because the side would have kept popping open in short order and they could have addressed it then...not to mention there were no miles showing. In their defense they were kinda rushed it seemed as their were a few people taking deliveries of vehicles and they have been otherwise nice to deal with overall...I am more than willing to give benefit of the doubt for now and see what they do with the compartment issue.

In a nutshell, for 28k it will be right and I won't accept anything less...don't get me wrong, I am very happy with it overall but if there were numerous issues quality wise they will replace the unit or BRP buys it back in the long run....bottom line. I'm sure that won't be the case, its just that you want everything to be perfect when you purchase a new vehicle you know?

I am sure it will work out fine...I have to go outside now at look at my pearl white Spyder again...it's so sparkly and pretty in the sunshine....one heck of a nice paint job I must say. I feel like washing it for some reason...but it's nearly spotless...ha! :thumbup:

Clicker1944
02-25-2012, 11:53 AM
:congrats: I bought my RS without a test drive too. Now the proud owner of an RTS.

A full tank of gas should be included with any vehicle. My guess is they just plumb forgot and if you mention it they will take care of it.
One issue with the latch would not be cause to start worrying about a buy back or refund, hang in there sounds like a simple issue. Enjoy the ride and stay safe.

Arr MiHardies
02-25-2012, 12:19 PM
Any vehicle you spend that much money on should come with at least one cup holder! :D

:congrats:

rogerb
02-25-2012, 01:25 PM
I bought my RT without test drive. I had a broken ankle at the time. Dealer insurance would not cover any damage. I don't regret buying it. I had the same latching problem on my RT. It eventually broke at the hinge. My dealer replaced the whole mounting unit under warranty and I have not had any problems since. Prepare yourself for some riding fun. :congrats:

NancysToy
02-25-2012, 01:45 PM
Nancy and I both pre-ordered our Spyders without a test ride. The first rides were the ones bringing them home.

Tin Can
02-25-2012, 01:45 PM
:congrats:You are going to love it. Have a great time and enjoy learning about your new :spyder2:....

ARtraveler
02-25-2012, 02:27 PM
Same for me--money down, pre-ordered without even seeing the vehicle in person.

Dealer should have given you a tank of gas and pre-ridden the machine before sending it down the road. The excuse about being to busy with deliveries of other :spyder2: is ridiculous. The other :spyder2:'s probably all had glitches in them too.

You have a dealer that wants to get all the money they can and is willing to slack off on service. I would get everything you need to have done and see if you can find a better servicing dealer.

sealfloorboards
02-25-2012, 02:45 PM
Congratulations n a really beautiful ride. Although CowTown delivered a problem free RT to me last year, it's easy to believe you can buy one with a glitch or two in it. Just stay on your dealer until everything is right. Don't wait, make them do it now.

Ride in Comfort,

John
Seal FloorBoards

GloryRyders
02-25-2012, 03:19 PM
:congrats: and :welcome:.......Let the mods begin!:yes:

jos
02-25-2012, 06:10 PM
Good Choice !
I too, never driven one and purchased out of the book after reading this forum for a VERY LONG time . I have now 600 Kilometers ( not miles;)) on it and Kathy and I love it. Summer here in Australia and warm mornings and evenings, all T-shirt and shorts weather, We Love our Spyder ( 2012 RT LTD White)...looking forward to a long relationship
jos

Hawk Eye
02-25-2012, 06:30 PM
:welcome: You will love your new ride, I bought my RT without a test drive also.

Hawk Eye :yes: :yes: :doorag: :doorag:

CyncySpyder
02-25-2012, 06:57 PM
Like Scotty & many others, my 1st "test" ryde on our 1st RT was the 250 mile trip home from the dealer in New Martinsville West Virginia. Whats even more astounding is our first "test" ryde on our 2nd RT was on our 450 mile trip back home from trading our 2010 in for our 2011 Limited Eddition 1 of 5 SpyderFest RT-S in Viper Red from Len at Cowtown in Cuba MO :firstplace: Ryde & Enjoy :yes::yes::yes:

Chazzman
02-25-2012, 07:25 PM
Congratulations, I have the very same Roadster as yours, just purchased a few weeks ago. I would recommend purchasing the extended warranty for 3 additional years, I also purchased 3 years of maintenance and I am capable of doing my own. This machine is so different...

8LEGS
02-25-2012, 07:35 PM
:congrats:

GLRange
02-25-2012, 07:57 PM
Well had a pretty good day playing with the new Spyder RT...My first mod was the IPS key cover I have had laying around for probably 6 months or more(Thats how sure I was I was eventually going to get a Spyder) It was a way of committing to it...lol.

While tinkering out in the yard today my SPYDERPOPS bumpskid arrived and I was going to wait awhile to install it...but I just decided I had to do it today. There was about a 4 inch tear on corner of cardboard where the screws had been taped down to the inside and it seems I lost one screw in transit out of a small hole in the bag. No big deal, just ran to Home Depot and picked up 2 stainless steel 6mm counter sunk screws and ready to go.

Was pretty strait forward and I used two plastic car ramps to elevate the Spyder which worked well. The 4 plastic rivets near the back would be kinda hard to remove with just a flat screwdriver and I ended up using a tiny screwdriver-like prybar with the difference being a notch in the middle of the blade to help get around the base of the rivet...very easy to do with the right tool.

I started with the back two innermost screws after getting the retaining clips in the right place and just put them in hand tight while supporting the front lip with my other hand. I then installed two outermost rear screws but just loosely. I would suggest lining up and drilling on of the two most forward screws first. I also found it very helpful for the front screws to drill a a very slight angle, start by getting the drill a square 90 degrees to the bottom and then sway the bottom of the drill out towards the nose just a little bit like maybe 5-10 degrees. The first hole I drilled was strait up at 90 degrees to the plate and I noticed the hole in the retaining clips hole didn't quite reach the hole I had just drilled but was pretty close, maybe a 1/16 or so off,(I just drilled same hole again and oblonged the whole just a tad to remedy it) So angling the drill a slight amount solves that and when you get all the screws fully tightened down you will notice the plate bends slightly upwards as it conforms to the rolled underside edge of the Spyders nose. My point being that when fully snugged they are not a perfect 90 degrees to the bottom and that is why I suggest the slight angle while drilling. Don't remove the skid and try to mark the holes for drilling...simply use the bumpskid as your drill guide and hold it firmly against the bottom of body as you drill your holes. While final tightening all the screws just a snug hand tight will do the job just fine, don't get heavy handed with a ratchet driver or something because the retaining clips are very hard steel and will try to re-thread your screws if you get heavy handed easily like I tend to do. Hand tight plus just a little is good and the included star washers will keep the screws from backing out as that is what they are designed to do.

Very happy with this mod for not only the very functional obvious reason, but also it actually enhances the whole look of the front end of the Spyder and it does look VERY factory as other have mentioned. It also comes with some peace of mind just knowing I have some protection up under there. :thumbup:

Thanks SPYDERPOPS...it's a well designed great product offered at a reasonable price! I plan on ordering the block off plate and maybe a heat shield in the very near future as well.

Once again I am getting long winded...sorry guys...lol. The take home message here is if you have been thinking about getting the bumpskid...is just do it, you'll be very happy with it and this is my first mod after The IPS key cover... Peace :doorag:

kevorama
02-25-2012, 08:08 PM
You should have gotten a full tank of gas and those Spyders are assembled at the dealership. That bike should never have left the shop with a saddle bag that far out of spec. They are air tight and water proof/resistant and take a good slam to shut. As for the manual, you did much better than I did. I had over 3,000 mi. on mine before I even took it out of the frunk! Just remember that a manual is someone else's opinion, LOL :thumbup:

GLRange
02-25-2012, 08:20 PM
You should have gotten a full tank of gas and those Spyders are assembled at the dealership. That bike should never have left the shop with a saddle bag that far out of spec. They are air tight and water proof/resistant and take a good slam to shut. As for the manual, you did much better than I did. I had over 3,000 mi. on mine before I even took it out of the frunk! Just remember that a manual is someone else's opinion, LOL :thumbup:

I actually haven got into the manual hardly at all today, it's much more fun opening all the compartments and just playing with it...nor did I get to tinker with the GPS unit either...it's all SPYDERPOPS fault for sending me a bumpskid!...lol :roflblack: