PDA

View Full Version : Spyder dead again

Groginator
02-24-2012, 03:15 AM
This an ongoing saga, and I love my spyder but with only 3000 miles and it going back to the shop again I wonder if I have a lemon. First day riding it ceased up and would not roll. They tried to blame it on me, but their logic was impossible to do so eventually they ponied up for the repairs. A month and a half later and a new clutch but when the bike was delivered it was DOA on delivery so back to the dealer it went. A new battery and i was back on the road again. A month later and it would not keep a charge, started keeping it on a tender so at least I could get a ride in from time to time but if I leave it for a couple of days it is dead again.

Tonight, went out for dinner and afterwards went to start it and nothing, all the lights turn on but it will not start. Called roadside assistance but they would not take it to the dealership, because it was after hours. Got it towed home, but now am being told only one call every seven days. If I want it towed in then I am going to have to pay for it.

Guess we will have to see what happens in the morning, but thus far I am a much less than satisfied customer. Almost ready to make then take it back!

NancysToy
02-24-2012, 08:43 AM
Sorry to hear you are having problems. Here are some things for you or your dealer to check. First, if you have an SE, be sure to press the brake when starting, in case the Spyder was left in gear. Second, make sure you didn't accidentally hit the kill switch. Then, check to see that the battery connections (at the battery, not under the seat) are clean and tight. It is common for dealers to fail to tighten them properly. That can inhibit charging. Also be sure the rear frame ground (negative charging terminal under the seat) is tight. Do not attempt to loosen this bolt! If all those check out, and your Spyder still goes dead quickly, have them check the audio system amp draw when off. There is a service bulletin on this.

It should not be necessary, but it pays to invest in a good motorcycle battery charger/maintainer, like the Battery Tender, Accumate, Optimate, or Xtreme. You can buy an adapter that will charge right through the 12V outlet in the rear cargo compartment. If the battery fails to take a full charge on the charger, either the terminals are loose/dirty, or the battery was improperly prepared.

retread
02-24-2012, 08:56 AM
One other thing to check, if you have a radio, some of them draw too much current when they are off, check the parastic drain thread.

john

SpyderFun
02-24-2012, 09:34 AM
There are a few threads discussing the charging system, battery and the higher revs this bike requires than what you may be use to. Do a search and I am sure you will find help but if not, keep posting and let the community know what you are experiencing.

Groginator
02-24-2012, 11:31 AM
Thanks all, Ill check it out again this morning. Sure don't want to pay to have it towed in.

bluestratos
02-24-2012, 03:59 PM
It sounds like too much draw for the radio issue but just incase do an amp test with engine off. To isolate to the radio you need to open the frunk , open the fuse cover and pull fuse F6 (top right hand fuse). Take an amp meter and set to milliamps, take a reading across the two points that the fuse was plugged into. The max is .003 milliamps, if it is greater the radio is pulling draining at rest. My check out at .060 which was 20 times too much. This would drain my battery in about 2 weeks if left unattended so I had to keep in on a trickle charger. The dealer has a new radio on order under warranty.

You can also check right at the positive termal to see if it is something else if that test passes. Key off, disconnect the positive termanal and again check for how much draw. I am not sure what the max is is but there will be a small amount draw for the computer the same as for a car or truck. Do not turn the key on or allow any other accesories run as you may blow the fuse in the ampmeter and I don't doubt that this would not be good for the electronics in general. Any one able to share what kind of parasitic draw is acceptable, key off?

Regards,

Randy

Groginator
03-09-2012, 12:37 PM
Well the bike sits at the dealership waiting on warranty repair approval from BRP. May be the radio issue posted recently. Actually got an email from Carlo last week. I have replied to him both via email and phone but no love back. I am so tired of this non-sense, if I treated my clients this way I would be out of business.

The riding weather is perfect here in the South Bay area, I just want my Spyder back!

dvmdf
03-09-2012, 03:15 PM
Are you in the South Bay area of LA, I think del amo Motorsports will pick up the bike from you at N/C

Groginator
03-09-2012, 07:25 PM
No I am in the South SF Bay area but will have to check with my dealer about that.

Groginator
03-09-2012, 07:31 PM
Thanks all for your help and advice. Got a call from Carlo at BRP, all is good and got a call from the dealer an hour later that my :f_spider: is ready to go. It turns out it was the radio. Now to plan a trip for this weekend ! :yes:

CyncySpyder
03-09-2012, 07:46 PM
[:yes:CENTER]The SpyderLovers Comunity comes through again, Just another reason Teddy & I LOVE this forum :firstplace:[/CENTER]