PDA

View Full Version : Too many lights?

Arr MiHardies
02-24-2012, 12:14 AM
Thinking my battery may be having a hard time handling my lights. My spyder struggled a bit starting up earlier today with the low voltage light coming on while trying to start. May have to invest in a battery tender, volt meter, and perhaps a power switch to interrupt the power to my switched fuze box so the lights arent on while I'm still gearing up.

boborgera
02-24-2012, 08:19 AM
Thinking my battery may be having a hard time handling my lights. My spyder struggled a bit starting up earlier today with the low voltage light coming on while trying to start. May have to invest in a battery tender, volt meter, and perhaps a power switch to interrupt the power to my switched fuze box so the lights arent on while I'm still gearing up.

You Think!!;)

Bob Denman
02-24-2012, 08:27 AM
I lit my GoldWing up until I had to run in 4th gear to keep the revs up and the battery recharging...
Hold 4th gear a bit longer and see if it helps in the short run... :thumbup:

SpyderFun
02-24-2012, 09:30 AM
There are a few threads discussing the charging system on the Spyder and the higher revs it takes to keep the battery charged. Using a battery tender is a good step....plug it in over nite, every nite, and you should see a big improvement.

NorthStar
02-24-2012, 09:57 AM
I agree with your idea about installing both an on/off switch for your accessories and a digital voltmeter to monitor the state of your battery considering the number of accessories that you are running.

I keep my battery on a tender. When I turn on the ignition the voltage reads between 12.1 and 12.6, depending on the air temperature, and starts to drop immediately as a result of the draw from the Spyders systems and my auxiliary lights. Once the Spyder fires up it rises steadily to hover between 13.2 - 13.5 at normal engine RPMs.

I find it very comforting to be able to monitor the battery voltage numbers on the fly and if I find the numbers are falling because my engine revs are down I switch off one of my accessories, such as the heated grips or fog lights. to compensate for the excessive draw.

Bob Denman
02-24-2012, 10:13 AM
No doubt; an extra shot of juice at night from a Tender will help keep the :gaah: at bay...

SpyderRyder
02-24-2012, 12:14 PM
Justin,

You might want to check this out.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?26771