PDA

View Full Version : Changing oil

CZPK
02-18-2012, 10:26 PM
Looking for input on doing your own oil changes. Local dealers want 100-125 to do a oil change on a 2011 RTS SE. Is it hard to do yourself? Do you need special tools? Also I have about 1000 miles to go before I hit 3000 miles. Can I wailt until I hit that mileage or does it need to be done do to time? What does it do to the warranty? Does it help if you have a motorcycle jack? From looking at the manual it is pretty straight forward.

Any helpful hints would be appreciated.

SPYD1
02-18-2012, 10:30 PM
I had the oil changes performed by the dealer until it expired and now I do thrm myself. I was worried about voiding the warranty? if I did them before. The price they are quoting is a lot cheaper than what I had to pay {160}.

boborgera
02-18-2012, 10:54 PM
Looking for input on doing your own oil changes. Local dealers want 100-125 to do a oil change on a 2011 RTS SE. Is it hard to do yourself? Do you need special tools? Also I have about 1000 miles to go before I hit 3000 miles. Can I wailt until I hit that mileage or does it need to be done do to time? What does it do to the warranty? Does it help if you have a motorcycle jack? From looking at the manual it is pretty straight forward.

Any helpful hints would be appreciated.

100/125, Is reasonable, To do it your self will run at least 75$ in oil and filters etc.
But if you do; do it your self, Remember the Drain plugs and the bolts holding the filters are ALLEN, not torx.

NancysToy
02-18-2012, 11:07 PM
They can't void your warranty for doing the oil change yourself, but keep good records on the mileage, oil and filters used, etc. Be sure your oil meets their specs. Be sure and have spare o-rings and gaskets on hand, too. If there was a warranty question, you need the evidence, so save your sales slips. I take dated photos and attach them with my receipts to a checklist. Also be aware that there are other maintenance tasks to be performed, especially at the 6,000 and 12,000 mile intervals. Some of this may require the dealer, but any work you do should save some bucks. I change my oil on the ground, but many folks use an atv jack. Some hex sockets of the right sizes, and a torque wrench are good to have, lest you damage the drain plugs, and I use a different screwdriver for the body screws. A search here should find you some videos of how to do an oil change, remove panels, and jack up the Spyder...or browse through the how-to forum.

BajaRon
02-18-2012, 11:25 PM
Scotty is right about the warranty and spare parts being on hand. The oil change isn't difficult, just takes a bit of time. But usually, a lot less time than running down to the dealer and back.

Most owners will do a better job with these routine maintenance proceedures than a dealer because they take the time to be sure it's right. Things like getting the right amount of torque on the drain plugs (not too tight which is common), and filling the reservoir to the correct level.

I prefer to do my own work whenever I can. You learn about your vehicle, you gain more confidence that you know how things should be which makes spotting and correcting issues easier.

Still, many just let their dealer do everything and that seems to work well for them most of the time.