PDA

View Full Version : Sister's wedding

BIKEMIKE
02-15-2012, 04:22 PM
Hi all,
I'm leaving on March 10th for Lake Havasu City Az I am hoping to take I40 across but I have never been west of the Mississippi river so I don't know what to expect weather wise in March. I can take I20 or even I10 but want to go I40. Any input from you who live along I40 would be a big help.

SpyderAnn01
02-15-2012, 08:33 PM
Early March? I assume you are taking your Spyder? If so I would take I10 better weather and in my opinion better roads and views. You could hit snow on I40 in March.

Arr MiHardies
02-15-2012, 08:43 PM
Pack prepared. Past few weeks have be bouncing between 70 degree days and 40 degree days. Windy rainy or clear.

BIKEMIKE
02-15-2012, 11:06 PM
Thanks, I have all the heated gear I need. I was planing on taking I10 back home I need to get there by the 13th so i'm hoping on I40 but I will take the safest way

bikeguy
02-16-2012, 12:22 AM
I live a couple hundred miles south of I40 but I've traveled it quite a lot in Oklahoma and the Texas panhandle and worked in that area for quite a while. There is absolutely no way to guess what the weather may be in the first part of March except that it will be pretty cool at night no matter what. Other than that, it can be beautiful, warm, sunny days or it can be a blizzard (and I mean that literally). There can also be thunderstorms, hail and tornados that time of the year but they usually come a little later in March and April. That said, if you have good cold weather riding gear and some rain gear, I wouldn't hesitate to take I40 unless the weathermen were actually predicting dangerous weather. Oh, one more thing. It is almost a given that at that time of year in western Oklahoma and the Texas panhandle it will be very windy. It may not happen but you should expect winds between 20 and 50 miles per hour. Normally, unless a blizzard blows in, the prevailing winds will be from the south and southwest. But Spyders are good in the wind.

Hope this helps.

Cotton

BIKEMIKE
02-16-2012, 02:40 PM
Sorry to all I did not list what I was riding ( did not think it would mattered ) No Spyder at this time, but soon. I will be taking my Yamaha Roadstar 1700 on this trip.

Lifeisadaydream
02-17-2012, 10:36 AM
First off, I agree with Cotton on the wind, no question the wind will blow. From Amarillo to Flagstaff the weather can be dramatic this time of year. Just check a good weather site like weather.com or accuweather for multi-day forcasts for Amarillo,Clines Corner NM, Grants NM, and Flagstaff AZ. These are the problem spots. Plus there are really good US highways to cut south if needed, like US60 to US 70 in Amarillo or US54 in NM. These work arounds won't add much more time or miles to your trip. Have a safe one!

thehawk
02-17-2012, 12:34 PM
My experiences have been that as you go up the cap rock west of Amarillo the wind direction can shift dramatically with every hill and curve.

thehawk

BIKEMIKE
02-17-2012, 03:31 PM
Thanks for all the info, the only thing i worry about is gas by bikes only good for around 140 to 150 miles depending on the wind. before i go to reserve