PDA

View Full Version : TRIKE SAFETY COURSE

bruisersbaby
02-13-2012, 09:51 PM
Hope we get some better weather soon. I need to get in some more practice before my learner's permit runs out in July! Found out from a friend of ours, who is a Motorcycle Safety instructor, that the trike safety courses that used to be in Asheboro have been closed down. Lenoir CC is trying to get a trike safety course by spring/summer, and our friend told us they have two trikes so far for the course. I would take ours. I really want to take the course instead of having to do it at DMV. I feel a lot better about taking the course on three wheels than having to do it on two like I attempted last October. If any one wants any more information, when I find out, I'll post it. Have a great evening!

:f_spider:

SpyderDuck
03-04-2012, 11:16 PM
Hope we get some better weather soon. I need to get in some more practice before my learner's permit runs out in July! Found out from a friend of ours, who is a Motorcycle Safety instructor, that the trike safety courses that used to be in Asheboro have been closed down. Lenoir CC is trying to get a trike safety course by spring/summer, and our friend told us they have two trikes so far for the course. I would take ours. I really want to take the course instead of having to do it at DMV. I feel a lot better about taking the course on three wheels than having to do it on two like I attempted last October. If any one wants any more information, when I find out, I'll post it. Have a great evening!

:f_spider:

I just took the road test Thursday. It was ridiculously easy... but they actually made me do the stop/start thing, and other exercises that make no sense on the Spyder. They asked me to show them both the front and rear brake, and actually looked for a second brake although I explained it had only one. They asked where the clutch was, after I had already told them is was an auto trans. Go figure.

Well, anyway, I passed, despite the craziness, and one obnoxious examiner that commented "You can't hide money", and said it again when another examiner asked me what my other vehicle is, and I replied that it is a Prius. I don't think he has any idea what either vehicle costs. Guess he just enjoys being a snot.

With that said, I would still like to take a comprehensive trike safety course, if the price isn't ridiculous.

KipDM
03-15-2012, 02:11 AM
i took my skills rest last month and it was sad.
they made me do the course even though they heavily modded it and gave it on a small 2 lane road (yep, 3pt turnarounds).
they basically told me "i've been told to do what it takes to make you pass".
now i am glad they didn't make me use the 'normal' bike path...i woulda failed...but just giving me a license :(

if i can take it i would love to take a trike safety class.
sadly i work weekends and nights so even if it is close enough to take i may not be able to stay awake enough to pass :mad:

SpyderDuck
03-15-2012, 09:38 AM
Ha! They didn't even make me do a 3-point turn, which would have made a little sense! The cones for the course were set only about 7 feet away from a curb, and they told me to 'swing it as wide as you need to' to do the serpentine... sheesh. I was glad that I had practiced by setting up my own course the weekend before. I knew that I needed to cut it tight, not swing it wide, and their course ended up being easier to navigate than my own. They had no set distance between the cones for the Spyder, either... just whatever they thought was 'right'. It was just crazy. Then the dude on the 2-wheeler that took the test after me thought he could use a credit card at the DMV, and had to go home for money... I was surrounded by foolishness!

Yeah, working an alternative shift sucks big time.

bruisersbaby
03-19-2012, 12:23 PM
This is why I am so hoping to take a course before my permit runs out in July. Our friend, who was also an MS course instructor, told me the DMV has no idea about a trike, put the cones too close most of the time, and can be, ummm, not nice! I'll let you all know when and if a trike course is available.