PDA

View Full Version : Tank Bag

Desert Spyder
02-10-2012, 06:59 PM
Has anybody put a tank bag on the RT? Or soft bags on the rear grips (or securement straps under the seat) that won't scratch the plastic? I'm trying to come up with more storage for Spyderfest specifically for raingear. I'm travelling two up.

ctpaddler2000
02-13-2012, 09:29 AM
I was reading some old posts and it seems that no one was pleased with the quality and fit of the factory Can-Am tank bag.

kentompkins
02-13-2012, 09:39 AM
The original tankbag (2008) had a faux fur on the bottom so as not to scratch the plastic; instead when it got wet it stained the plastic black. The stain was permanent. All of this happened to another owner so I did not use mine.

About a year later, BRP started putting a rubber bottom in place of the faux fur. It doesn't scratch or stain. I bought one and have used it since 2009. It has many features I like: zippered pockets for ez-pass in the map area and a more secure pocket inside on the bottom. It is fairly waterproof and very useful on my RS.

ken tompkins

ctpaddler2000
02-13-2012, 10:32 AM
The original tankbag (2008) had a faux fur on the bottom so as not to scratch the plastic; instead when it got wet it stained the plastic black. The stain was permanent. All of this happened to another owner so I did not use mine.

About a year later, BRP started putting a rubber bottom in place of the faux fur. It doesn't scratch or stain. I bought one and have used it since 2009. It has many features I like: zippered pockets for ez-pass in the map area and a more secure pocket inside on the bottom. It is fairly waterproof and very useful on my RS.

ken tompkins

How does it attach to the Spyder?

ARtraveler
02-13-2012, 12:36 PM
I had the tank bags on both the GS and the RS--they seemed to work okay. The bag from BRP made to fit on the passenger seat was junk. The strap broke off about the third time I used it. I don't know of any specifc bags for the RT. I have so far, been able to get all my gear in the areas provided. (Frunk, Trunk, and saddle bags.)

NancysToy
02-13-2012, 12:40 PM
I reworked a GS/RS tankbag to fit my RT, following the directions someone else posted here. Itr was basically more trouble than it was worth. It makes it real hard to use the glovebox. Maybe you should consider one of Inspector Gadget's rear cargo racks?

cjackg
02-13-2012, 01:32 PM
Here's a tank bag that I used some on my 2010 RT. It is a Dowco and it has side magnetic flaps. I attached some thin metal strips inside the RT plastic side panels for the magnets but the flaps actually fit pretty snugly between the RT panel and the seat. I used it on several trips and the visible Map pocket was really nice. It never came off or even loose.
I still have it but dont seem to need the space enough to mess with it now.
40685 40686 40687

Bob Denman
02-13-2012, 01:51 PM
I reworked a GS/RS tankbag to fit my RT, following the directions someone else posted here. Itr was basically more trouble than it was worth. It makes it real hard to use the glovebox. Maybe you should consider one of Inspector Gadget's rear cargo racks?

:agree:... sort of. :opps: Anything hooked to the outside of the :spyder:
is always subject to loss by theft. :gaah:

But his cargo rack... :2thumbs:

ctpaddler2000
02-13-2012, 01:57 PM
I guess no one messes with cjackg (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/member.php?5943-cjackg)'s water bottle.

TuckMiddle
02-14-2012, 08:49 AM
Take a look at Inspector Gadget's trunk raqck. I'm going to get that when I grow up and put the bag I had on my Road Glide on the rack. Carried rain suits, gloves, lots of little things. Has a rain cover too, but I always use a large black garbage bag to stuff things in and they never get wet that way. I think I originally got it for a gold wing rack, it's kinda made for that with two pockets on the end, but works great on anything. They fade quickly in the sun, but that's life.:firstplace:

Tuck

Oldmanzues
02-14-2012, 09:22 AM

:agree::agree::agree: Once you get over the fear of standing there with a drill looking a multi million dollar trunk lid. (Maybe a little less), it is great. I also made a red/white/blue light box ( LEDs)with a metal lid for PGR Missions. The metal lid allows using a magnet based yellow flashing light and the funeral flag.
I think he even recomeds the rain gear thing
Oldmanzues

Desert Spyder
02-16-2012, 11:39 AM
Here's a tank bag that I used some on my 2010 RT. It is a Dowco and it has side magnetic flaps. I attached some thin metal strips inside the RT plastic side panels for the magnets but the flaps actually fit pretty snugly between the RT panel and the seat. I used it on several trips and the visible Map pocket was really nice. It never came off or even loose.
40685 40686 40687

I like this. Thanks for the info. I liked the rack idea too but I always worry about drilling holes in the tupperware and spoiling the integrity of it. I know this hasn't happened ... has it? Its a great idea though. How much weight can it support?

WingmanRT
03-11-2012, 08:13 AM
40685 40686 40687
Hey Cjakcg,
What model of Dowco bag is this? They make a bunch. I need one for the same reason you did. You know... to have instant access to my... water bottle.

MouthPiece
03-11-2012, 03:51 PM

That's exactly what I did. I bought one of R.L.'s/Inspector Gadget's rear cargo carriers and then bought some luggage that went on top from Hot Leathers in Daytona. I tested it out before my accident, and it worked really well. I'm going to post a picture (kinda convoluted) of it sitting on my "runk" after the crash.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/427024_319881041381255_100000780840875_789847_9661 83456_n.jpg

cjackg
03-11-2012, 05:15 PM
Hey Cjakcg,
What model of Dowco bag is this? They make a bunch. I need one for the same reason you did. You know... to have instant access to my... water bottle. It is a DOWCO 50106-00 Rally Pack Tank Bag with Map pocket & rain cover.
Mine is available for $45. including shipping, send pm if interested !