PDA

View Full Version : Side Mirror Arrow Lights

REDSPY
02-10-2012, 01:58 PM
Has anyone installed Mirror LED Arrow Lights. Found these lights on eBay and could not find any threads on my search.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150751050730?item=150751050730&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

Gordy
02-10-2012, 02:06 PM
yes and they work really well drilled a small hole behind mirror for wire.was able to thread wire through back of mirror body and solder them to mirror wireing.This was on an rts, mirror has to be removed for this

HntngTrout
02-10-2012, 02:30 PM
Has anyone installed Mirror LED Arrow Lights. Found these lights on eBay and could not find any threads on my search.

Yes, and wish I had put them on sooner....

Bob Denman
02-10-2012, 03:25 PM
These have been kicked around in several threads during the past year... The general concensus was that everybody wishes that they'd either done it sooner or were making plans to get to it. :2thumbs:
I'm in the latter grouping... :opps:

thehawk
02-10-2012, 03:41 PM
Love mine!! But I still wish they'd fix the centering issue on the :;(()$& turn switch.

thehawk

Arr MiHardies
02-10-2012, 03:54 PM
I've got other plans........

SpydherLuv
02-10-2012, 04:31 PM
I've got other plans........

:popcorn:

Y Rider
02-10-2012, 04:42 PM
I bought this same brand on eBay but got the Amber color. They work and look great. :thumbup:

rogerb
02-10-2012, 07:58 PM
I agree with the hawk. I went with Amber. :thumbup:

bobbobtar
02-10-2012, 08:24 PM
How hard is it to take the mirrors apart and what order? This looks like a very good mod for us that are safety conscious.

spyder-dude
02-10-2012, 08:58 PM
Anyone put these on the GS/RSS?

SteveMac
02-10-2012, 09:45 PM
Yep. I've got a set sitting on my work bench. Plan on putting them before heading to SpyderFest!
I ordered mine off eBay as well, but Autozone has them just as cheaply. nojoke

Yol Bolsun
02-10-2012, 10:12 PM
$9.99 at Pep Boys. I like them. Put them on a few months ago.

CyncySpyder
02-11-2012, 06:48 PM

fastfraser
02-11-2012, 06:57 PM
You don't have to drill a small hole to fish the wires ?:dontknow:

Yol Bolsun
02-11-2012, 07:42 PM
I 'notched' the mirrors only at the point of the arrows.

Mayhem
02-11-2012, 07:47 PM
Anyone put these on the GS/RSS?

Yes, they take up a bit more room but I can still see behind me and I feel they add to my safety.

gypsy_100
02-12-2012, 05:35 PM
Another option if you don't want to give up valuable real estate on the mirror surface are these LED strips. I bought these labeled Pilot Phantom at Pep Boys but see them elsewhere. With my convex mirrors already taking up a little of the outboard space, I didn't want to lose any more. These strips are very bright and very visible from behind, from the side, and by my passenger. I seem to recall they were labeled "edge fire" or something like that. They are bright not only from the top surface of the strip but also one edge (not the other edge). End result is they are very visible from many angles. Mount them backwards, however, and you would do a great job of lighting up the inside of the mirror housing. The photo below is just using a 9V test battery during installation before putting the mirrors back on the bike.

spyder-dude
02-12-2012, 08:14 PM
I like that idea much better. Thanks for the tip! I am going to be searching for LED to do my whole bike and this would be a good addition as well.

Thanks,

Shawn

JCSMOKE
02-12-2012, 09:55 PM
How hard is it to take the mirrors apart and what order? This looks like a very good mod for us that are safety conscious.
The plastic on the mirrors is fragile, the little clips can easily snap if the stars are not aligned, even with the most gentle hand. Service manual gives a better idea of how to go about it. Green manuals on eBay or at the dot com

spyderdmb1621
02-12-2012, 11:07 PM
http://www.glowguru.com

The plastic on the mirrors is fragile, the little clips can easily snap if the stars are not aligned, even with the most gentle hand. Service manual gives a better idea of how to go about it. Green manuals on eBay or at the dot com

REDSPY
02-13-2012, 09:43 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-LED-Arrow-Lights-28-smd-Car-Side-Mirror-Turn-Signal-/180706933848?hash=item2a12f8fc58&item=180706933848&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Has anyone tried these lights that mount behind the mirror?

NorthStar
02-13-2012, 10:04 AM
The translation from Chinese to English is a bit confusing. Although it sounds like these are made to install behind the "rear" mirror I highly suspect that they attach to the front surface of the mirror. I may be wrong but I would send a question to the seller about this product and see how they respond.

bobbobtar
02-13-2012, 10:46 AM
I really like the idea of the leds on the frame of the mirror instead of the glass, here is a link to side emitting leds on a flexible strip. http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Flight_bars-flexible.html%23snfls

CyncySpyder
02-13-2012, 10:56 AM
You don't have to drill a small hole to fish the wires ?:dontknow:
nojokenojoke

I 'notched' the mirrors only at the point of the arrows.

fastfraser
02-13-2012, 12:33 PM
Thanks Cyncy. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
02-13-2012, 01:11 PM
I really like the idea of the leds on the frame of the mirror instead of the glass, here is a link to side emitting leds on a flexible strip. http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Flight_bars-flexible.html%23snfls

Thanks Bob! :thumbup: I kind of like putting something out there, but was reluctant to fill up the mirror's field of view...

FrankPa
02-13-2012, 07:05 PM
Thank You!

gypsy_100
02-14-2012, 09:30 AM
I personally would not take the mirrors apart. Several people on this forum have reported breaking the tabs off. Drilling the hole instead is no big deal. At the risk of making a simple job complicated, I'll outline what I did and show some photos:
First, remove the lower two-wire spring clip -- two screws.
Second, the inside lower corner is where I chose to drill a small hole. To avoid the drill bit wandering, I first just twisted the bit in my fingers to make a small depression in the right spot, then put the bit in the drill and made the hole. Tape the glass so you don't accidentally scratch it.
You can fish the wires thru the drilled hole and thru the open hole where the spring clip should be.
I put sheathing over the new wires but given they're all inside the plastic mirror housing I don't know if that's necessary. I'm a belt and suspenders kind of guy.
Use a stiff wire like a single-strand copper wire to fish the new wires back thru the lower hole and thru the mirror and out thru the central hole.
Use posi-taps to tap into the original turn-signal wires. LED's are polarity sensitive so you need to make sure you get + to +, etc. You can test at this point with a 9-V radio battery and confirm that all is working. Then shove the posi-taps back inside the mirror housing and your'e done.
Remember when you're choosing where to tap into the original wires that you should connect at a location near the mirror housing. After putting the connectors inside the mirror housing you want a long original lead still remaining so you can connect easily back to the bike and when you or an unknowing mechanic pulls the mirrors off the next time, they won't be straining the posi-tap connections.

Arr MiHardies
02-14-2012, 10:24 AM
For you popcorn eaters out there. Check out my new turn signals. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?34328-My-Mods/page2&p=416922#post416922

Bob Denman
02-14-2012, 11:24 AM
For you popcorn eaters out there. Check out my new turn signals. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?34328-My-Mods/page2&p=416922#post416922
I don't know which I like better... The bacon popcorn or your lighting! :2thumbs: :firstplace:

1VENOM
02-14-2012, 01:28 PM
I got mine at Pep Boys for the same price. Check locally.40756

2 Stricklands
02-17-2012, 12:16 PM
:agree:Taking the mirrors apart did not seem easy. so I drilled following your pictures. Thankks

I personally would not take the mirrors apart. Several people on this forum have reported breaking the tabs off. Drilling the hole instead is no big deal. At the risk of making a simple job complicated, I'll outline what I did and show some photos:
First, remove the lower two-wire spring clip -- two screws.
Second, the inside lower corner is where I chose to drill a small hole. To avoid the drill bit wandering, I first just twisted the bit in my fingers to make a small depression in the right spot, then put the bit in the drill and made the hole. Tape the glass so you don't accidentally scratch it.
You can fish the wires thru the drilled hole and thru the open hole where the spring clip should be.
I put sheathing over the new wires but given they're all inside the plastic mirror housing I don't know if that's necessary. I'm a belt and suspenders kind of guy.
Use a stiff wire like a single-strand copper wire to fish the new wires back thru the lower hole and thru the mirror and out thru the central hole.
Use posi-taps to tap into the original turn-signal wires. LED's are polarity sensitive so you need to make sure you get + to +, etc. You can test at this point with a 9-V radio battery and confirm that all is working. Then shove the posi-taps back inside the mirror housing and your'e done.
Remember when you're choosing where to tap into the original wires that you should connect at a location near the mirror housing. After putting the connectors inside the mirror housing you want a long original lead still remaining so you can connect easily back to the bike and when you or an unknowing mechanic pulls the mirrors off the next time, they won't be straining the posi-tap connections.

zbunker
02-29-2012, 09:38 PM
yes and they work really well drilled a small hole behind mirror for wire.was able to thread wire through back of mirror body and solder them to mirror wireing.This was on an rts, mirror has to be removed for thisi iI PURCHASED THE SAME SET UP ..HAD TROUBLE GETTING THE LH MIRROR OFF AND GETTING DOWN TO THE MIRRORBODY. BEFORE DRILLING HOLES, I WENT LOOKING FOR A GROUND FOR THE SIGNAL LAMPS TESTING THE TWO WIRES FOUND THE POS LEAD, BUT THE OTHER WIRE GAVE NO GROUND READING SINCE JUST THE ENTIRE MACHINE IS MADE OF PLASTIC I WAS WONDERING WHERE YOU FOUND THE GROUND FOR THE TURNING LAMPS. IF IT TURNS OUT OT BE THE OTHER WIRE LEAD, I WILL CERTAINALY BE EMBRASSED I MEASURED THE POSITIVE AGAINST A BOLT I FOUND BEHIND THE OIL PANEL --BUT THE OTHER LEAD DID NOT SHOWANY CONTINUNITY TO GROUND. AFTER ATTEMPTING TO FIND A LOCAL GROUND (NG) I IPUT THE ENTIRE MESS BACK TOGETHER WHICH LEAD TOTHE HOUSING NOT GO BACK SO SMOOTH. THE BOTTOM FORWARD STUD DOES NOT FIT SNUG AND THE HOUSING RETAINERHAD TO BE 'BUILT OUT' TO 'FIT' IF THOSE TWO LEADS WERE ALL I NEEDED, I STILL GOT TO FIGURE OUTWHAT I DID WRONG TO LOUSE UP THE LH SIDE. ( HOPE IT WASN'T THAT $$ TAB) THAT OTHER MEMBERS ARE SPEAKING ABOUT

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-01-2012, 10:27 AM
THESE ARE ALL NICE JOBS....I WENT SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT ROUTE.....I WANT ALL THE MIRROR VIEW I CAN GET I HAVE A G/S, R/S AND I THINK THE MIRRORS ARE SMALLER.....SOOOO I HAD TWO SINGLE ROUND AMBER LED'S 1/2 INCH DIA.,...I TOOK THE INSTRUMENT POD OFF AND PAINTED THE TRIM YEL. WHILE IT WAS OFF ( LOOKS RAD) ...I DRILLED TWO HOLES ON EITHER SIDE OF THE POD TRIM ( IT KILLED ME TO DO THIS ) SO I COULD PUSH THE LIGHTS IN .....AFTER MAKING EXTENSIONS TO THE LED LEADS I CONNECTED THEM DIRECTLY TO EACH SIGNAL CONNECTOR .....BY PLACING THE STRIPPED END OF SOME PHONE WIRE INTO THE MALE CONNECTION AND PUSHING ON THE FEMALE SIDE .....WAH-LA INSTANT CONNECTION NO ERROR, NO SPLICING , NO WRONG WIRE, NO BAD GROUND, BLAH BLAH BLAH, ETC........NOW I HAVE TWO SMALL TURN SIG INDICATOR LITES ON THE DASH THAT WILL BLINK INDIVIDUALLY UN-LIKE THE GREEN FLASHER BRP PROVIDES....SOMEDAY I'LL FIGURE OUT THE PICTURE POSTING THING ARRRRRRGG......MIKE....:thumbup: I've had two PM's on this soooo I bought them at my local auto parts store for $ 3.50 each..they are very bright, so good in daylite...come in five colors....I also first drilled a same size hole in a thin piece of alum. and painted it flat blk. then glued it to the dash ( I used silicone sealant, you only need it to keep it from moving around ) before putting the lite in....it looks better..and the phone wire is the stuff they put in your house around the walls....it's about # 26 guage...maybe # 28, the led's only draw power in milli-amps so this is fine....it's actually less than what your phone draws so don't worry.....do not use on reg auto wiring.!!!!

spyder-dude
03-01-2012, 10:33 AM
Turn off your CAPS..... You can email me the picture at spyderdude@me.com and I will resize and upload for you....

gypsy_100
03-02-2012, 03:35 PM
i iI PURCHASED THE SAME SET UP ..HAD TROUBLE GETTING THE LH MIRROR OFF AND GETTING DOWN TO THE MIRRORBODY. BEFORE DRILLING HOLES, I WENT LOOKING FOR A GROUND FOR THE SIGNAL LAMPS TESTING THE TWO WIRES FOUND THE POS LEAD, BUT THE OTHER WIRE GAVE NO GROUND READING SINCE JUST THE ENTIRE MACHINE IS MADE OF PLASTIC I WAS WONDERING WHERE YOU FOUND THE GROUND FOR THE TURNING LAMPS. IF IT TURNS OUT OT BE THE OTHER WIRE LEAD, I WILL CERTAINALY BE EMBRASSED I MEASURED THE POSITIVE AGAINST A BOLT I FOUND BEHIND THE OIL PANEL --BUT THE OTHER LEAD DID NOT SHOWANY CONTINUNITY TO GROUND. AFTER ATTEMPTING TO FIND A LOCAL GROUND (NG) I IPUT THE ENTIRE MESS BACK TOGETHER WHICH LEAD TOTHE HOUSING NOT GO BACK SO SMOOTH. THE BOTTOM FORWARD STUD DOES NOT FIT SNUG AND THE HOUSING RETAINERHAD TO BE 'BUILT OUT' TO 'FIT' IF THOSE TWO LEADS WERE ALL I NEEDED, I STILL GOT TO FIGURE OUTWHAT I DID WRONG TO LOUSE UP THE LH SIDE. ( HOPE IT WASN'T THAT $$ TAB) THAT OTHER MEMBERS ARE SPEAKING ABOUT

Yes, the other wire is the ground. Don't know why you couldn't detect that but trust me, it is.