PDA

View Full Version : Locking ffuel Cap

eddieshep999
02-10-2012, 10:26 AM
There is currently a Locking fuel cap on e bay for all Can Am Spyders - USA Site
The seller does not ship to the UK - although my cap is secure under the seat on my Spyder RT -S SE5 2010 Model
I would still like to get a locking one as extra security

The item is listed as - CAN-AM UNIVERSAL LOCKABLE GAS CAP KIT SPYDER AND ATV'S #715001124

Is the Part No a can-Am part number and if so - Anyone know a Can-Am supplier I could contact to see if I can get one shipped to UK
I could try UK Dealers but its often quicker to get items direct from the USA/Canada

Failing that anyone know of a different make of Lockable Gas Cap that will fit the Spyder RT

Thanks

Eddie Sheppard
Reading UK

Bob Denman
02-10-2012, 12:23 PM
Anybody out there willing to pick it up and ship it over to Eddie??

I'll take a look at it and see what; if anything, can be done from this end...

chickridin
02-10-2012, 12:35 PM
There is currently a Locking fuel cap on e bay for all Can Am Spyders - USA Site
The seller does not ship to the UK - although my cap is secure under the seat on my Spyder RT -S SE5 2010 Model
I would still like to get a locking one as extra security

The item is listed as - CAN-AM UNIVERSAL LOCKABLE GAS CAP KIT SPYDER AND ATV'S #715001124

Is the Part No a can-Am part number and if so - Anyone know a Can-Am supplier I could contact to see if I can get one shipped to UK
I could try UK Dealers but its often quicker to get items direct from the USA/Canada

Failing that anyone know of a different make of Lockable Gas Cap that will fit the Spyder RT

Thanks

Eddie Sheppard
Reading UK

That part number is listed on the Can-Am web site for a "Commander 2011 and up (all models)" and not for the Spyders. Hope this helps. Here's the link.....
http://store.can-am.brp.com/product/382601/715001124/_/Lockable_Gas_Cap

Bob Denman
02-12-2012, 08:47 AM
Eddie,
Do you have the item number for that cap? It would make finding it a bunch easier...
Thanks! :thumbup:

I'll go take a peek in Can Am's parts bins to see if the Commander's gas cap is the same part # as the RTs...

Bob Denman
02-12-2012, 09:05 AM
I just got done looking and the news isn't good... :gaah:
The RT's gas cap has a part # 709000182
The Commander's is 709000238...

I don't think that the locking cap will work. Sorry!
But please check my Math... it wouldn't be my first mistake! :opps:

Max LTD
02-12-2012, 10:28 AM
Guys, I will get back to you if it fits because I have one of these BRP locking Fuel Cap on my Can Am Outlander Max Limited (ATV) and I will try it this afternoon on my Spyder. More to follow.

Firefly
02-12-2012, 01:15 PM
Seems like a lot of fuss to protect $30 worth of gas. I had to replace my gas cap as it wasn't sealing tight and thus was leaking. I would proceed with extreme caution as you don't want an 'iffy' seal of the gas cap.

Campverdefela
02-12-2012, 01:49 PM
Seems like a lot of fuss to protect $30 worth of gas. I had to replace my gas cap as it wasn't sealing tight and thus was leaking. I would proceed with extreme caution as you don't want an 'iffy' seal of the gas cap.

:agree: and besides the seat locks, I too don't see the need.

Max LTD
02-12-2012, 02:22 PM
Guys, I will get back to you if it fits because I have one of these BRP locking Fuel Cap on my Can Am Outlander Max Limited (ATV) and I will try it this afternoon on my Spyder. More to follow.

Did the verification and it is not at all the same Cap. ..does not work.

Firefly
02-12-2012, 08:06 PM
So as best I can figure gas is running close to the converted value of $10/gal which means $60 per fill up. :yikes: I can understand wanting to guard that but as previously stated the Spyder's gas cap is under a locked seat. Are you just wanting extra protection? :dontknow: If somebody has taken the trouble to force the seat up I don't think a locked gas cap is going to stop them. The seat should protect you against the average petty thief but a pro is going to get to your gas tank if they want too.

If I wanted to steal gas from a spyder-- I'd look for a certain orange one and just drill up from under the spyder into the trunk..... ;)

I don't even use the seat latch any more on mine... saw no need for it.

boborgera
02-12-2012, 08:43 PM
[QUOTE=Firefly;416551]If I wanted to steal gas from a spider-- I'd look for a certain orange one and just drill up from under the spyder into the trunk..... ;)

[QUOTE]

Back in 73, When the Oil embargo was on full swing, To stop gas thieves people would put locking caps on their tanks
So some thieves would just punch a hole in the bottom of the tank and steal the gas anyway, And then cause more damage than if they just used a syphon hose. Thieves are an enterprising bunch.

Firefly
02-13-2012, 12:42 AM
I like Spyder Monkeys! Lol

The big thing around here (probably everywhere) is stealing the catalytic converters from underneath cars. Cordless sawzall and portable jack.

Had a friend go to dinner and when he came out he noticed his van was really loud. Stole his CC.

Had a guy found dead under a car that fell on him recently. He was stealing the CC from a car behind a business and the car fell on him. Nobody found him for a few days.

Someone already stole the catalytic converter from my Spyder.......ME!

Bob Denman
02-13-2012, 07:16 AM
I guess maybe I need to get a scaled down version of the trunk monkey. Perhaps a Spyder trunk monkey. :roflblack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8avOiTUcD4Y

:roflblack: http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_1_72.gif :roflblack: :2thumbs:

Campverdefela
02-13-2012, 12:15 PM
Speaking of thieves, my poor wife back in the 70's had just got a brand new VW Bug, the first time she takes it to work and after a long night shift she finds the Bug up on blocks with no tires. But the kind thieves did leave the spare in the trunk. Could have used a TRUNK MONKEY....

boborgera
02-13-2012, 12:21 PM
Speaking of thieves, my poor wife back in the 70's had just got a brand new VW Bug, the first time she takes it to work and after a long night shift she finds the Bug up on blocks with no tires. But the kind thieves did leave the spare in the trunk. Could have used a TRUNK MONKEY....

Guess they didn't want to leave her without a windshield washer. :roflblack:

Bob Denman
02-13-2012, 01:19 PM
Regardless of how many do however; their numbers are dwindling! :shocked:

NancysToy
02-13-2012, 01:49 PM
:2thumbs:

I wonder how many will understand that?
That's waht I was wondering. You had to earn the T-shirt to understand. :thumbup:

Firefly
02-13-2012, 03:09 PM
Guess they didn't want to leave her without a windshield washer. :roflblack:

LOL !

Some of the crazy things they did on those to save a buck still cracks me up.

boborgera
02-13-2012, 04:14 PM
LOL !

Some of the crazy things they did on those to save a buck still cracks me up.

Yep, No fuel filter, No Oil filter, and a half qt. of oil in the air filter, Simplicity at it's best.

Littlebadwolf
02-13-2012, 04:54 PM
If I was gonna steal the gas...I'd take the Spyder with it...:yes:

thehawk
02-13-2012, 05:30 PM
My first Bug had a split rear window. I WAS the joke:):roflblack:

thehawk

Firefly
02-13-2012, 10:09 PM
Toilet paper rolls for oil filter. Classic!

Bob Denman
02-14-2012, 07:30 AM
In spite of all of that marvelous engineering; :shocked:, they still ran! :thumbup: I wonder how many of us got started driving those strange little foreign cars?? :dontknow:

NancysToy
02-14-2012, 07:37 AM
I used to deliver pizza in one when I was in high school. There's nothing like trying to get a pizza to a customer still hot, in the winter in Michigan in a VW. That one had an aftermarket gas heater, which had two temps...ON & OFF. It's a wonder the carbon monoxide didn't kill me! The manifold heaters were useless...if you were fortunate enough to have one with a heater at all.

boborgera
02-14-2012, 08:13 AM
In spite of all of that marvelous engineering; :shocked:, they still ran! :thumbup: I wonder how many of us got started driving those strange little foreign cars?? :dontknow:

Like i said before, No fuel or oil filter, And never failed to start, I put over 350 thousand miles between two bug's doing the taxi bumper car run in Manhatten for years, Had a lot of yellow paint mixed in with my red paint.nojoke

Campverdefela
02-14-2012, 09:59 AM
I used to deliver pizza in one when I was in high school. There's nothing like trying to get a pizza to a customer still hot, in the winter in Michigan in a VW. That one had an aftermarket gas heater, which had two temps...ON & OFF. It's a wonder the carbon monoxide didn't kill me! The manifold heaters were useless...if you were fortunate enough to have one with a heater at all.

Yeah, scraping both the inside and outside of the windshield in winter was SOP as was going front wheel drive up a snow covered hill. Loved those days!

Firefly
02-14-2012, 12:21 PM
We had a VW 411 sedan when I was a kid... loved that car... never really got to drive it.. but fond memories of that car. The heat actually sorta worked--- sometimes.... lol

Bob Denman
02-14-2012, 12:56 PM
:shocked: You had HEAT??? :shocked:
All we had was the aforementioned carbon monoxide. Everybody in the car would have a headache after any trip exceeding 25 minutes... :gaah:
Parents could be very grumpy and totally unreasonable... :roflblack:

TuckMiddle
02-14-2012, 01:08 PM

Boy, that line woke me up. My dad drove a flatbed old International for the propane gas company in Long Hill, CT during some of the war years. That heater always scared this 5 or 6 year old kid. Smelled, worked only when it felt like it and wouldn't you know - I bought a 1960 Corvair Monza brand new and the damn thing had a gas heater in front. Took up the space of a small bomb and that's what I thought it was.

Lots of cars and trucks had them and I don't recall anyone saying what a great invention they were. Sometimes on and the rest of the time off, until someone cleaned the igniter thing off. Kinda like an old "oil burner" many of the houses had, but not as reliable as the home heat.

Gees, I can smell it now.

Tuck

Ga Blue Knight
02-15-2012, 08:02 AM
:2thumbs:

I wonder how many will understand that?

Only those born before 1950!! Probably!

Bob Denman
02-15-2012, 08:11 AM
...and those of us whose parents were too cheap to buy new cars! :opps: (1956)

Ga Blue Knight
02-15-2012, 08:17 AM
...and those of us whose parents were too cheap to buy new cars! :opps: (1956)

My folks were so cheap that my used 1968 VW was the first car in my family! We looked like clowns in the circus when we went to dinner, five in the family!

Yol Bolsun
02-15-2012, 10:04 AM
We had a VW 411 sedan when I was a kid...

VW411! Heck, I was drivin' a 1958 Rambler when those came out cuz Dad wouldn't buy me a car. :rolfblack::rolfblack::rolfblack:

boborgera
02-15-2012, 10:10 AM
VW411! Heck, I was drivin' a 1958 Rambler when those came out cuz Dad wouldn't buy me a car. :rolfblack::rolfblack::rolfblack:

Nash Rambler, Could never get it out of second gear.:roflblack: