PDA

View Full Version : I want a spyder!

burns636
02-09-2012, 08:26 AM
Ladies

I am wanting a street bike. My ht makes it hard. I love the spyder design. I have questions related to purchase, licensure..etc. I have to have my m class before I could
finance, insure, or even get off the lot.

I can take the test on the spyder but legally Id never get there to do it. Id have to take the riders test on a regular bike at a. msf facility that has it. The closest I know of is 6 hours away. They are very strict so this means Id have to be a confident 2 wheel bike rider.

I tried the spyder in the dealer lot. I love it. I am comfortable even with zero experience.

But, I dont get the whole process of getting thru the process to ride. If Im right? By the time I go thru that? It makes no sense. Id be better off on a cruiser sense I would have learned to ride it?

I hope this makes sense. I want the spyder. Be nice to ride it home. How does this work for u in TN? Riders near Nashville or Clarksville? Help me Im confused!

Thanks
Debbie

burns636
02-09-2012, 08:31 AM
Oh, and btw, all msf classes are on 2 wheels as far as I know. I am not at all comfortable on those bimes nor would I care to spend the money to learn to ride one. I mean to be perfectly clear. This is the bike I want to get and ride.

thanks from a confused newby
Debbie

zrc
02-09-2012, 08:55 AM
Obviously, I am not a lady, however, I ended up here, and I think I can help.

Debbie, I live outside of Chattanooga, and I am pretty darn sure you can test on a spyder in Chattanooga, I will confirm this, but I know a gentlemen that his wife got her license and took the Motorcycle Safety course on a spyder.

You can email me at zrcarman@gmail.com or text / call me for more info. (423) 693 8337. I will get right on getting some more information to you.

Ladies of the forum that are the current dominion rulers here, I apologize for the intrusion, but I felt like I had something to add :)

tobor9
02-09-2012, 08:58 AM
Move to South Carolina, no M class license needed. This is one thing SC has got right,trikes don't drive like 2 wheel bikes so why learn to drive the wrong type ride!

SpyderAnn01
02-09-2012, 09:43 AM
Does TN issue a learners permit? Usually when you have your permit you can ride as long as you are in eyesight of a licensed rider. That is how you get to the DMV to take your test and how you get it off the lot. Others have said that Goldwing Riders of America offers the MSF course for trikes so you could see if there is a group near you.

SteveMac
02-09-2012, 09:54 AM
Does TN issue a learners permit? Usually when you have your permit you can ride as long as you are in eyesight of a licensed rider. That is how you get to the DMV to take your test and how you get it off the lot. Others have said that Goldwing Riders of America offers the MSF course for trikes so you could see if there is a group near you.

Not sure about the TN law, but I agree Ann.
In MO, when you pass the written test, you get an unlimited permit (single rider) until you go take your skills test. The permit is for 6mo and can be renewed for a fee. But it allows you to ride night and day at least according to the DMV when I got mine. Makes sense too, the whole idea for the permit should be to allow the rider to gain the skills and confidence to get the full M license.

Also, in MO at least, the cones are moved and widened to accommodate trikes.

GLHRN
02-09-2012, 10:37 AM
Go to midtennmotorcycle.com. They offer classes and they are in the Nashville and surrounding area. A friend of mine took hers in Nashville/Donelson and she had no experience at all and she passed and is doing fine. She did not have to pass a written or riding test to get her license either. I took my Basic Riding Course a long time ago in Illinois and I had no experience and the class was GREAT! I highly recommend and I did not not to take a written or riding test to get my license either. You do need to pass the class to get the certificate and take it to the DMV. Tennessee does has a "Motorcyle Learner's Permit", but it is to operate a motorcycle with only 650 cc cylinder or smaller, can only operate during daylight hours, and only 20 miles from home, and never use the interstate system. I hope that helps.

zrc
02-09-2012, 11:35 AM
Its TN, when I went to get my M license I literally rode up on the motorcycle, did the test and got the license. They never asked me the first question about how it got there, what the deal was or anything. You are placing to much faith in a system that is very overwhelmed. I would bet a fair amount of money that if you just showed up, took the test and they walked out to see the spyder that you drove up that they would shrug and let it happen anyway. I know that is how they are in Chattanooga for sure. However, if you are willing to take the course (usually 2 day or a weekend or a couple of nights), you could most likely talk them into using your spyder or a spyder someone might let you borrow / ryde during the class.

IF you talked to the dealership and were going to purchase from them, you might even get them to build that into the deal so you are learning on YOUR bike.

bullant12
02-10-2012, 07:41 AM
Because MSF courses insurance, they are required to use their 2 wheel motorcycles for testing purposes. However, myself and my wife were hesitated about riding on 2 wheels. I went first, and took me a couple of tries but got thru it. My wife actually fell off her bike after the test. But we both agree that it was a very good experience to learn on 2 wheels before we rode in 3. Once you pass your MSF course, you only take your certificate to the DMV, take the eye test and you are done. However, as ZRC said, you can take your :spyder2: to the DMV (provided you have passed the written portion of the test which is the hardest part) and take the riding part of the test in view of the examiner and you are done.

Good Luck!!!:thumbup:

CJ/johnnyg
02-10-2012, 08:06 AM
I don't know about TN. But in Fl you have to take a class before you get your mc endorsment. Here we have a trike course and I used hubbys spyder to take the course. They had different trikes there that you could use if you wanted. I took the course got my slip that I took to the DNV paid for the endorsment and that was it. However I am stricted for 3 wheels only. Which is ok because all I want to ride is the spyder. I went on line to find out wher the course were. maybe you can do a search.

DocRags
02-18-2012, 09:06 AM
You have to have your motorcycle endorsement already in order to take the Goldwing classes...that's what I've been told down here in Florida, anyway. Quite a bummer since I'm in the same boat...three wheel classes are offered here in FL but only in Tampa/Orlando areas, as far as I know, which would mean several days away from home to take a class. It's crazy to take a 2 wheel course to ride a 3 wheel bike.

SDM
02-18-2012, 10:20 AM
Hi! Welcome to the Spyder Lyfe! My hubby is Tobor 9. This is direct from the Can-Am website re-license:
OPERATOR LICENSE NEEDED FOR TENNESSEEOPERATOR LICENSE REQUIRED

All you need is a Motorcycle License to ride a Can-Am roadster.
CAN I USE THE CAN-AM ROADSTER TO PASS THE SKILLS TEST AND GET THE REQUIRED OPERATOR LICENSE?

Yes, if you do not have a Motorcycle License, you can use the Can-Am roadster to pass the skills test and get your operator license.
CAN THE SKILLS TEST BE WAIVED?

Yes, the skills test can be waived if you have successfully completed a rider training course approved by your local authority.
LINK:
http://tennessee.gov/safety/driverlicense/classm.htm

Hope that helps and that you have many myles of ryding!!! :clap:

BlueKnight
02-18-2012, 11:06 AM
Not all MSF courses are two wheel only, here in New York they have three wheel courses with both Spyders and traditional trikes. The only thing is, if you take the course for three wheels then thats all you are license for you cannot legally ride a two wheeler. But if you take the two wheeler course then your good to go on any bike. They even offer a scooter course.

HntngTrout
02-18-2012, 11:20 AM
Basically the same in Illinois. 150cc and above license motorcycle can ride anything. 150cc below can only run motorcycles less than 150cc. Three wheeled cycles can only ride 3 wheeled cycles...

Chazzman
03-04-2012, 04:02 PM
I live in the Nashville area. There are a few places here you can take the MSF course. Go to midtennmotorcycle.com... They furnish the bike for you to ride and lot's of ladies that have never sit on a motorcycle take this training and I do not think anyone fails the test. It is a very beginner course and you will gain a lot of valuable information even for the Spyder. I would highly recommend anyone wanting to ride take this course.

Jharpo
05-04-2012, 01:36 PM
You have to have your motorcycle endorsement already in order to take the Goldwing classes...that's what I've been told down here in Florida, anyway. Quite a bummer since I'm in the same boat...three wheel classes are offered here in FL but only in Tampa/Orlando areas, as far as I know, which would mean several days away from home to take a class. It's crazy to take a 2 wheel course to ride a 3 wheel bike.
I took the trike class in Eustis, Fl. Great class, easy to get to, inexpensive motels, ride your own trike or rent one of theirs. Check it out, I learned a lot and met some really nice people

bruisersbaby
05-04-2012, 03:05 PM
North Carolina here - DMV will issue a one-year learner's permit after you pass the written test. You can take the road test at DMV and they do not make you do the serpentine, but will test you on other road skills. The MSF course right now is still on 250 cc bikes, but they should have a trike course up and running soon. I took the MSF course last October, got 3/4 of the way through it, then either the bike stalled, or I stalled it and the next thing I knew, I was on the pavement with the bike on my ankle. I did not like 2-wheels before, and I sure don't like them now!! Bruiser has a Vulcan, is a great rider, but I won't ride with him! When you pass the MSF course, all you have to do is take that paper to DMV, take the written test again, and after passing the written test, you get your endorsement.

:ohyea::ohyea:

Y Blue
05-04-2012, 08:46 PM
I had never ridden on a motorcycle or 4-wheeler or sea-do or snowmobile before I bought my bike. About a week before the purchase I got a learner's permit and the motorcycle rules of the road book. Then after I bought it, the first thing I did was to take the bike to an empty parking lot and self-test for a couple of hours. A couple days later I went and got my license. I even did better on the written and driving test than my hubby did on his : )

I still have yet to take the motorcycle safety course, but I might this summer, we'll see.