PDA

View Full Version : First 1000 miles on new RTS

Alberts46
02-07-2012, 05:35 PM
I picked up my new 2011 RTS several weeks ago and hit 1,000 miles today. I have ridden motorcycles for 40 years, still have two in the garage. The Spyder by far surpassed everything I expected except fuel economy. The cornering, acceleration, ride, etc. are all way better than I expected. I got 30 miles on the first tank which I thought was good, and it has steadily dropped to 25 mpg. I finally got it to the dealer for the 600 mile inspection today and am hoping that when I get it back the fuel economy goes up a little. I ride with a group twice a week and our lunch trips are about 150-200 miles R/T and I really like not having to stop. I really thought after the first tank at 30 mpg it would go up not down.

The one thing I learned was I was shifting way too early when I first got it, about 3,000 to 3,500 rpm. Sometime it wouldn't even shift. I have learned that it seems to like being shifted closer to 5,000 rpm. I should have know this as the redline is so much higher than my other bikes.

I have to say I do not miss the balancing act, the kickstand, the clutch, the hand brake, etc. I have not ridden my other two bikes since getting the Spyder and Thursday is my next ride, hopefully I will remember how to shift gears and put a kickstand down in addition to my feet when stopping.

Again, thanks to a great website, as I mentioned in earlier posts I read several thousand posts here before purchasing.

Absolutely trouble free for the first 1,000 miles except for one check I believe DPS screen and then limp home mode. I pulled over, turned it off, waited a few minutes, turned back on and screen was gone.

BikerDoc
02-07-2012, 06:03 PM
Don't count on it going up much above 30 mpg. The RT is designed for creature comfort and I think you agree it provides all that. with a lowered windshield you may well get 150 mile trips between gas but wouldn't count on much more than that.... I have over 1000 miles on my second spyder RT after 21000 on the first and I still find it to be more fun that any other ride I have had in the last 40 years... Hope you continue to enjoy it...

fastfraser
02-07-2012, 06:25 PM
:congrats:on one small milestone . Whats this about not having a kickstand ? :roflblack:

ARtraveler
02-07-2012, 09:20 PM
:congrats: on the new ryde and :welcome:

GadgetGuy442
02-07-2012, 11:21 PM
Congrats!!! I'm sure many more fun miles lie ahead!

Bill