PDA

View Full Version : GoPro mounting positions

Arr MiHardies
02-01-2012, 01:07 PM
I thought I saw a thread about this not long ago, but couldn't find it in a search. Just picked up a gopro to record the areas first big group ride, and was wondering what the best mounting position on the RT is. I'm thinking of using one of the semi permanent adhesive mounts on top of the dash, behind the windshield. Another possibility I was considering was connecting it somehow to one of the fender supports for a cool, down low effect. Opinions/advice on this?

NorthStar
02-01-2012, 03:51 PM
I thought I saw a thread about this not long ago, but couldn't find it in a search. Just picked up a gopro to record the areas first big group ride, and was wondering what the best mounting position on the RT is. I'm thinking of using one of the semi permanent adhesive mounts on top of the dash, behind the windshield. Another possibility I was considering was connecting it somehow to one of the fender supports for a cool, down low effect. Opinions/advice on this?

The biggest challenge with POV cameras is to mount the unit on a stable base that does not vibrate excessively. If you are looking for unobstructed shoots you must also be careful to mount it in a position that does not allow the wide angle lens to pick up parts of the bike that you would not normally think would be in view while shooting.

I use a Panavise suction mount base that I attach to the front trunk lid for the best forward facing shots. This area of my Spyder had the area of least vibration during all of my tests. Rearward looking shots are taken from the top of the rear trunnk, once again with a suction mount base. I also have a Ram Ball mount on a wind deflector, as per a previous Lamonster post, but I have yet to shoot any video from this position.

I found that the dash mount, although the most convenient, proved to have more camera vibration than I wanted for my video. Both the windscreen and dash jump around quite a bit on rough roads and some complain that the windshield distorts the video, although I did not find this to be a problem.

I would highly recommend the suction mount for your POV camera. Once you get over the original fear that it will fall off, it does give you a variety of mounting positions to test out which location works best for you.

Another idea brought forward by Lamonster uses a Ram Mount base on one of the wind deflectors. I have this mount as well, but have yet to shoot video from this location.

kevorama
02-01-2012, 05:59 PM
We were hoping to have two GoPro's for the SpyderFest event. I was wondering about the best way to mount, as well. I read through Lamont's Ram mount for his HD170. I was wanting to have a helmet shot part of the time and front and rear mount the rest of the time. I've seen people swear by the suction cup mounts, I'm sure that probably takes a little getting used to. Let me know how it works for you.

Arr MiHardies
02-01-2012, 06:29 PM
I think it would be neat to have some 3d action eventually.

Arr MiHardies
02-02-2012, 12:41 AM
Tried a few positions on the trunk tonight. Vibration was less further back on the trunk as opposed to the front. However, I had the resolution set to 5... And I was really disappointed with the video quality. Couldn't even make out the signs on a lot of the storefronts I passed. Read some anecdotal evidence that 4 yields better results. Anyone have anything to say on this?