PDA

View Full Version : What route does the oil flow thru an SE RT?

ulflyer
01-30-2012, 07:41 AM
Curious to know how, or what route the oil takes from the resevoir to the engine and filter, transmission and filter, and then back to resevoir.

Does the oil run thru the filters before going into the engine or transmission, or afterwards?

Never really understood how the filters fit into the flow scheme.

NorthStar
01-30-2012, 09:35 AM
Curious to know how, or what route the oil takes from the resevoir to the engine and filter, transmission and filter, and then back to resevoir.

Does the oil run thru the filters before going into the engine or transmission, or afterwards?

Never really understood how the filters fit into the flow scheme.

I have a copy of Midwest Manual's shop manual for the Spyder RT. Pages 212 - 215 gives a very detailed explanation, complete with flow diagrams, that will answer this specific question.

I hope this answers your question.

ulflyer
02-02-2012, 08:55 AM
Northstar, thanks for the diagrams. Way more complicated than I could ever have imagined.

ted

TuckMiddle
02-06-2012, 12:30 AM
Are you going to buy a different "thing" if it flows in a certain direction? Honest, not trying to be a smart mouth, but actual oil flow info is something I've never thought about. Normally it's the brand/SAE number/synthetic or dino, etc or maybe length of another filter or magnetic drain plugs or something like that. If I'm missing some other influencing fact, it'd be great to know.

The oil flow chart makes me sleepy, but that happens a lot when you're as old and disfunctional as I am. If BRP has added more faults to the 900 or however many they already have for the Spyder, I hope my dealer knows about them, just gathering tire info is a full time job!

Best to ya and hope you're not offended, I'm really serious about knowing important stuff that I may have missed - wouldn't be the first time. Or maybe I knew it in the 50s and have forgotten it.

:cheers:Tuck

ulflyer
02-07-2012, 07:33 AM
Tuck, in my dotage, I think of off-the-wall stuff too. Mainly I was curious why theres a seperate filter for the transmission if the oil flowed first to/thru the engine filter before going into the transmission. Unfortunately for me, its way more complicated than i could ever have imagined.

Bottom line, that transmission filter is a royal PIA to change without pulling a lot of tupperware, whereas the engine filter is not, and If I could do it less often I'd be mighty pleased. I know that originally BRP only called for it to be changed every other time, but then changed to every time. Must be a good reason so I'll have to sitck with that just in case some warranty issue arises. These things are way too much work to do every 3K miles and since I do my own changes, its hard on the old back and creaky knees.

NancysToy
02-07-2012, 08:06 AM
Tuck, in my dotage, I think of off-the-wall stuff too. Mainly I was curious why theres a seperate filter for the transmission if the oil flowed first to/thru the engine filter before going into the transmission. Unfortunately for me, its way more complicated than i could ever have imagined.

Bottom line, that transmission filter is a royal PIA to change without pulling a lot of tupperware, whereas the engine filter is not, and If I could do it less often I'd be mighty pleased. I know that originally BRP only called for it to be changed every other time, but then changed to every time. Must be a good reason so I'll have to sitck with that just in case some warranty issue arises. These things are way too much work to do every 3K miles and since I do my own changes, its hard on the old back and creaky knees.
While I don't recommend either, if I had to make a choice between extending the oil change interval (using a quality full synthetic like Amsoil) or not changing the TX filter at every oil change, I'd take the extended oil change intervals. Like you said, there was probably a good reason for the shift to changing the transmission filters at every oil change, instead of every other one. There may not be much apparent logic in the oil change intervals a manufacturer chooses, but an adjustment in maintenance procedures is virtually always preceded by a series of problems with the old way.

TuckMiddle
02-08-2012, 08:38 AM
I don't have the semi automatic, but I'd bet the more frequest changes have to do with inspecting the filter for metal shavings, chunks from a gear or what ever flows through. I changed the oil in my Honda 750A (as in neat automatic transmission setup) many years ago and a piece of non-magnetic "stuff" literally fell into the oil drain pan I was using. I was astonished it fit through the drain hole. I checked with a local who use to race 750s "in their day" and he had the answer. "Who cares, if it still runs, ride it." So I did, for 3 more years or so and it never acted up or made funny noises, and I still don't know what it was. I have magnetic drain plugs for my Spyder, but if it's not magnetic, it sure wouldn't stick.
BTY, my heavy plastic drain pan I've had for 40 years went to drain pan heaven the other day. Ran over it in the garage. Bought it in the PX at Camp Lejeune in 1962. Boy, what fond memories!! Already had the memorial service on Sunday and it was set to rest in the recycle box. Heartbreaking, just not the same around the old garage.:pray:

Tuck

ulflyer
02-11-2012, 09:21 AM
Scotty, I've used Amsoil since the 600 mile change and with 10K on the RT I've about decided to run whats in now to 4K and send a sample off to Blackstone to see how its doing. Still got a couple thousand to go before then so it will be sometime this spring before the next change.

A friend of mine who got his at the same time is pushing his Amsoil to 6K with no concern about it. I'm too anal to do that and would worry about warranty issues should something go wrong.

NancysToy
02-11-2012, 12:17 PM
.....A friend of mine who got his at the same time is pushing his Amsoil to 6K with no concern about it. I'm too anal to do that and would worry about warranty issues should something go wrong.
:agree: +1