PDA

View Full Version : RT Hitch

Phil
01-28-2012, 11:25 PM
We're talking about the stock BRP hitch.

I really like the splash/mud flap at the back, but I'm getting many times where it drags. I've blown 2 rivets now. What have you done about this?

1. Drive more carefully and try to avoid dragging (yup... but I'm over 55 so come on...... my brain leaks)
2. Shave off the bottom a bit on purpose
3. 'Automatically' shave off the bottom by dragging it enough times
4. Replace it with a piece of flexible rubber
5. Other.........

=============================
Phil - Tyler TX
Sent from my iPad4 using Tapatalk

SteveMac
01-29-2012, 12:13 AM
Phil
I just left mine off. I just bought a new (non-BRP) trailer. I'll see how much road debris I get, but my intent is to leave it off.

Even if I need something, I probably won't use the mud flap that came with the hitch. I hate the way those things look.

You know what we need???

We need a vendor who can come up with a good looking solution. We need someone who can (and has) come up with a creative way to avoid right foot heat. We need a vendor who can (and has) found a good looking and creative way to protect the front of the Spyder from dragging on speed bumps.

Yes. What we need folks,,, is for HARVEY SPYDERPOPS to create a good looking solution for that rear flap that actually looks good and works well!!!!!

Oh Harvey??????

;) ;) ;)

stevedfive
01-29-2012, 12:17 AM
I cut off 2 inches and it works fine.

YumaJim
01-29-2012, 12:34 AM
I agree. I cut mine off by 2 inches and it works fine and doesn't drag over curbs. Surprised it was made so rigid.

Schnauzer
01-29-2012, 07:53 AM
I used a heavy piece of scrap leather, actually found a grey piece to match the RT. Notched to fit around ballmount, folds over the the bar, punched 2 holes and used lacing to tie it together. It's flexible and doesn't flap like a flag @ hwy speed. Spydette wants a Horseshoe added to it.. Only thing missing right now is eyelets to connect safety chains. Haven't had it out in the rain yet to see how it reacts to the waterspray. But I feel the leather is thick enough to withstand the force.Looking for a larger piece to make fringe for front flaps,footpegs, and wrap tow-bar..Must be the ole-skool :doorag: in me.

Schnauzer
01-29-2012, 07:58 AM
I used a heavy piece of scrap leather, actually found a grey piece to match the RT.

Read 1st fool and pay attention.:opps:. I do not have the Factory Hitch..

NancysToy
01-29-2012, 09:52 AM
5. Other.....

I left it off each time. This last hitch I actually installed nutserts in the hitch so I could screw it on when I wanted, but I have never liked it, so I just leave it off. Yes, I get some marks on the trailer, but some of those will happen anyway, especially the road debris on the trailer lids, that is thrown out a bit higher.

Bob Denman
01-29-2012, 02:23 PM
(non-hitch guy here...)
Well if all of the mounting hardware is in place and you decide to remove the factory mudguard; that just gives you LOTS of leeway to experiment with materials and configurations in order to find the best combo... :thumbup: look upon this as a chance to prove your inherent mechanical "McGyverness"! :2thumbs:
So what have you guys come up with so far???

Schnauzer
01-29-2012, 06:02 PM
(non-hitch guy here...)
"McGyverness"! :2thumbs:
So what have you guys come up with so far???

Leather!!

TuckMiddle
01-29-2012, 07:56 PM
I don't have a hitch, but I was concerned about past incidents in the mountains of North GA, TN, etc with sand, rocks, cinders red clay dirt and what ever else they throw on the roads for ice and snow. Went to Tractor & Supply and bought two 9x12" pieces of tractor belt drive stuff for silo blowers, saws or what ever else you want to use on your tractor. It's about as wide as the original mud flap and I drilled it (this stuff is strong as heck,) bolted it on and put an old license plate on the back to keep it sorta rigid. Looks like an old fart did it, but that's what I am and if someone doesn't like it, don't look at it. It already has a good layer of crud on the inside, but it worked for me. The leather is a good idea too. I'm going to do it over when spring comes and round it off and maybe glue a big finger on it. One of my HOG buddies was teasing me and asked what it did. Told him it was a magnet for chrome that is always falling his Harley. I think they are the initial reason Loctite makes the Red stuff that would hold a bulldozer together. I've lost pegs, a horn cover and lots of nuts and bolts off my Road Glide. :ohyea:

Tuck

Schnauzer
01-29-2012, 08:49 PM
put an old license plate on the back to keep it sorta rigid. Looks like an old fart did it, but that's what I am :ohyea:

Tuck
Meeee Toooo!, Sorry for getting off topic, but the liscence plate idea is:thumbup:
My kids gave me one for Christmas "Ride Free" I know where it's going..tonight..

My next reply will be back on topic.. I'm ole to, what were we talking about:roflblack:

MarkLawson
01-29-2012, 08:54 PM
No brainer... Gotta make an LED mudflap!

Schnauzer
01-29-2012, 09:09 PM
No brainer... Gotta make an LED mudflap!
going out on a limb, but was this pointed at Phil

MarkLawson
01-29-2012, 10:26 PM
going out on a limb, but was this pointed at Phil

Of course, "Mr LED" himself!

Phil
01-30-2012, 12:30 AM
Got the name---
LED PHLAP :)

Sent from my iPhone7 using Tapatalk

Schnauzer
01-30-2012, 07:48 AM
I got an idea, may have to give it a shot, ain't nuttin but time..
PHLAP insert:roflblack:40105