PDA

View Full Version : Patriot Guard mission

DocRags
01-28-2012, 01:50 AM
We rode with the Patriot Guard three times this week...it's quite nice to be able to honor our veterans. Ended our third mission with a bang...our Spyder wouldn't start when we got ready to leave the cemetery. :( After quite a few pushes we were finally able to start the engine. No further problems on the ride home. :yes: We rode tonight to/from a hockey game but we made sure we had the battery charger in the saddlebag. Now we've just got to figure out what kind of battery to look at purchasing in the near future.

Blue Star
01-28-2012, 02:03 AM
We rode with the Patriot Guard three times this week...it's quite nice to be able to honor our veterans. Ended our third mission with a bang...our Spyder wouldn't start when we got ready to leave the cemetery. :( After quite a few pushes we were finally able to start the engine. No further problems on the ride home. :yes: We rode tonight to/from a hockey game but we made sure we had the battery charger in the saddlebag. Now we've just got to figure out what kind of battery to look at purchasing in the near future.

I too ryde with PGR, and know how you feel. I would check your battery connectors to make sure they are clean and/or tight. I did not know you could push start the Spyder.

GloryRyders
01-28-2012, 06:31 AM
I too ryde with the Patriot Guard and today St. Louis is the first city in the nation to hold a parade to "Welcome the Heroes Back From Iraq". :2thumbs:
Last night (Friday) at 9:11 PM a vigil was started to read all 6,502 names of those killed in the war :pray:which will last until 12:00 Noon today and then the parade starts to honor the vets. It appears that there will be over 200 Patriot Guard ryding en masse in the parade from the St. Louis area, along with 80+ bands, floats, etc. to say a BIG THANK YOU!:yes:

murphybrown
01-28-2012, 09:55 AM
I too ryde with the Patriot Guard and today St. Louis is the first city in the nation to hold a parade to "Welcome the Heroes Back From Iraq". :2thumbs:
Last night (Friday) at 9:11 PM a vigil was started to read all 6,502 names of those killed in the war :pray:which will last until 12:00 Noon today and then the parade starts to honor the vets. It appears that there will be over 200 Patriot Guard ryding en masse in the parade from the St. Louis area, along with 80+ bands, floats, etc. to say a BIG THANK YOU!:yes:

I also ryde with Patriot Guard in my area. Right now Fox News is covering the St. Louis event...AWESOME...gives me goose bumps...can just imagine the thrill to participate. Thank you for representing Spyderlovers well...:thumbup:

DocRags
01-28-2012, 11:01 AM
Last night (Friday) at 9:11 PM a vigil was started to read all 6,502 names of those killed in the war :pray:which will last until 12:00 Noon today and then the parade starts to honor the vets. It appears that there will be over 200 Patriot Guard ryding en masse in the parade from the St. Louis area, along with 80+ bands, floats, etc. to say a BIG THANK YOU!:yes: Sounds FABULOUS! :thumbup: Wish we were closer so we could be there. Ed's a veteran from SW Missouri. Hope your weather is great...hug a vet (or 2 or 3 or...) for me.

SpyderAnn01
01-28-2012, 11:30 AM
Having just moved to Las Vegas we missed the news that there was a mission yesterday for a soldier KIA in Afghanistan. On the news coverage last night we saw a Spyder in the PGR proccession. Thanks to all of the fellow PGR Spyder Riders for honoring our veterans.

rhansen309
01-28-2012, 01:05 PM
We ride with the PGR in Southwest Michigan. One reason we got the Spyder was because we got tired of being one of the only cages that are in the group. Our first ride was a few months back. We had not done much riding on highways, but this ride went from Kalamazoo/Battle Creek international Airport along I-94 (through construction) a few exits west to the funeral home. Brought back memories of how the PGR supported us when we had the services for our son (KIA Iraq 15 Sep 2010), another reason we joined the PGR. I am happy to see more Spyders joining the PGR. Happy riding!!!

Oldmanzues
01-28-2012, 03:44 PM

I also ride with the PGR, great bunch of people for a great reason. Did you ride in the SGT Woods funeral a couple years ? Robert Woods ( Uncle )is our Ohio State Captian. He stated the PGR out there did a great job. Thank You. OldmanZues

bruiser
01-28-2012, 06:31 PM
We ride with the PGR in Southwest Michigan. One reason we got the Spyder was because we got tired of being one of the only cages that are in the group. Our first ride was a few months back. We had not done much riding on highways, but this ride went from Kalamazoo/Battle Creek international Airport along I-94 (through construction) a few exits west to the funeral home. Brought back memories of how the PGR supported us when we had the services for our son (KIA Iraq 15 Sep 2010), another reason we joined the PGR. I am happy to see more Spyders joining the PGR. Happy riding!!!

My condolences to you. I too ride with the Patriot Guard and the Guardian Brotherhood. Lately though all of the missions have been 4-6 hours away and during the week. We stand for those who stood for us.

SpyderLady
01-28-2012, 07:26 PM
John and I are also PG Riders. It has been such an honor to honor our soldiers. We have been on some very moving rides. Two of them were for Marines coming back with limbs lost. One of the young men was only #2 or #3 to have lost all 4 limbs and lived to return home. What an honor to ride for these fine men and women.

STUNMUN
01-28-2012, 07:39 PM

I display the flag by mounting a flag holder on the trailer hitch for Patriot Guard functions. Works great.40000

Desert Spyder
01-28-2012, 09:26 PM
I display the flag by mounting a flag holder on the trailer hitch for Patriot Guard functions. Works great.40000

One of these I'm going to rig up a big flag holder for my missions. Its an honor to "accompany" our heros on their final journey and to welcome them home from deployment.

Blue Star
01-28-2012, 11:18 PM

Here is how I flt my flag on PGR rydes

DocRags
01-29-2012, 10:51 AM
We don't have a trailer hitch, so we can't mount our flag there. Ed managed to mount a flag just in front of the passenger hand grips. Doesn't interfere with my being able to get on/off bike but I can't see much to the right of me when the flag is unfurled (maybe that's good ;)). He painted a PVC pipe black to go with our Phantom black. He's still working on ideas to get the flagpole collapsible so we don't have to worry about windy conditions breaking the PVC. Some of the other PGR riders mentioned using 2 different diameter PVC pipes, drilling holes through them and telescoping them down. That may be what we do next.

Blue Star
01-29-2012, 12:26 PM
We don't have a trailer hitch, so we can't mount our flag there. Ed managed to mount a flag just in front of the passenger hand grips. Doesn't interfere with my being able to get on/off bike but I can't see much to the right of me when the flag is unfurled (maybe that's good ;)). He painted a PVC pipe black to go with our Phantom black. He's still working on ideas to get the flagpole collapsible so we don't have to worry about windy conditions breaking the PVC. Some of the other PGR riders mentioned using 2 different diameter PVC pipes, drilling holes through them and telescoping them down. That may be what we do next.

I saw one guy that used screw together conectors for his PVC pipe. That way he just connected the pieces together when he arrives, but I don't know how that would work while moving. Could use steel pipe and connect them together, but I don't think steel condurent would be strong enought not to bend.

rhansen309
01-29-2012, 01:18 PM
My condolences to you. I too ride with the Patriot Guard and the Guardian Brotherhood. Lately though all of the missions have been 4-6 hours away and during the week. We stand for those who stood for us.

Thanks. Many of the ones in Michigan have been several hours way too. Can't wait for the spring to start riding again!!!

DocRags
01-29-2012, 05:35 PM
I saw one guy that used screw together conectors for his PVC pipe. That way he just connected the pieces together when he arrives, but I don't know how that would work while moving. Could use steel pipe and connect them together, but I don't think steel condurent would be strong enought not to bend.
The 35 flags the PGR ride captains have for the flag line have the screw together connectors for PVC pipe, but there's no real wind to worry about there. I've been worried about the winds we get when we're traveling interstate to get to PGR functions. We've got PVC pipe that Ed painted black to match our bike...some type of metal flagpole might be the way to go. For now I'm supporting the PVC (with my right arm braced against our trunk) as we ride...seems to be working. Still need to get some smaller flag holders for the luggage rack on the trunk. Anyone know of any vendors for those? They were a bit pricier than we expected. We've got our 4th mission in 6 days tomorrow morning. Lots of military retirees around here.

Desert Spyder
01-30-2012, 07:22 AM

I've seen several PGR's use telescoping fiberglass painting handles. Bob, what is that, a tube pinned to a bolt? I don't have a hitch. Wish I did for my trip to Cuba. But then I'd hear that "giant sucking sound" Ross Perot referred to, of my gas going...quickly.

Blue Star
01-30-2012, 10:07 PM
I've seen several PGR's use telescoping fiberglass painting handles. Bob, what is that, a tube pinned to a bolt? I don't have a hitch. Wish I did for my trip to Cuba. But then I'd hear that "giant sucking sound" Ross Perot referred to, of my gas going...quickly.

It is a 5/8 threaded bar with a cheep flag pole over it that is bolted to my hitch.

Yol Bolsun
01-31-2012, 03:03 AM

Stunman, do you have any other pics of your mount to share? I ordered the Rivco pole holder today but still debating on the actual mount system. I do have a hitch already, just trying to avoid having to remove (the torqued on) ball to set up flag.

Yol Bolsun
01-31-2012, 03:12 AM

How did that go? Do you have any pics to share?

GloryRyders
01-31-2012, 06:53 AM
How did that go? Do you have any pics to share?

There was over 100,000 people lining the parade route, probably an average of 5 deep on each side ot the street. Besides the 200 Patriot Guard Riders, where were around an additional 300 bikers from American Legion, Blue Kinghts, etc. Their is video at KSDK.com which is the NBC station in St. Louis. It was a great day to honor our HEROS.

Desert Spyder
01-31-2012, 01:18 PM
It is a 5/8 threaded bar with a cheep flag pole over it that is bolted to my hitch.

Are you using any type of diagonal guide lines Robert? How fast have you traveled with the flag on it?

GI Jane
01-31-2012, 01:28 PM
Everyday is a great day to honor our vets. Every Patriot Guard mission is an honor. Thanks.

DocRags
01-31-2012, 06:32 PM
Everyday is a great day to honor our vets. Every Patriot Guard mission is an honor. Thanks.:agree::agree::agree:. I'd even give the vet that sitting in the room with me a big hug but I'm afraid I'd catch his 'crud'. Hope he's feeling better soon so we can get back on the bike with the PGR. Thanks to all you veterans on SpyderLovers.

Blue Star
01-31-2012, 10:56 PM

If you notice in the pic I have a clip on top and in the middle about the leagth of my flag. Remind me when it gets closer, and I will bring it to the meeting.

Are you using any type of diagonal guide lines Robert? How fast have you traveled with the flag on it?

Nope, just the two clips. I have had the spyder up to 75 MPH with the flag on, and my buddy behind me said he saw no bend in the pole. The flag on the other hand did not take it too well, as I think I will have to retire it after another two or three rides like that. I did use a cheep flag, so will find a flad that can handle freeway speeds when I get my next one.

Erags
02-01-2012, 02:21 PM
Here are a few pictures of how we have our Flag on a GS without a trailer hitch. It is a 1" PVC pipe 66" long I drilled two hole thru the pipe with 1/4" bolts holding on the 3' x 5' flag. The bottom is a piece of 1" aluminum bar bend at 90 degrees then bolted to the hole in the Saddlebag bracket. To the aluminum bar a screwed a 4" piece of wood trimmed to fit in the PVC pipe and I used a 2 1/2" deck screw to hold it on. The yellow bungee cord is how I hold the top of the PVC. We have to take the Flag off the Spyder to get it in and out of the garage.

Erags
02-25-2012, 11:32 PM
I posted now I did a 5' flag pole that has a 3' x 5' flag on it. We ride with the Patriot Guards

hansensmomx2
02-26-2012, 07:19 PM
Thank you so much. We too are PGR. My son was Sr Airman James A Hansen was killed in Iraq on 9-15-10.:pray:We are riding in the IL. Freedom Run in June. The also read the names. Thanks again.

captblack
02-26-2012, 07:47 PM
Thank you so much. We too are PGR. My son was Sr Airman James A Hansen was killed in Iraq on 9-15-10.:pray:We are riding in the IL. Freedom Run in June. The also read the names. Thanks again.

I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your son. I know that our PGR missions bring comfort to families and friends and ensure we will never forget the sacrifice our heroes and their families make to protect the freedoms we hold dear.

I wish more of our political leaders had the courage to honor those serving us as they did in St. Louis.

hansensmomx2
02-26-2012, 08:27 PM
Thank you. Yes the reason we joined was because the PGR were so loving to us. We also wanted to give back to other families.
I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your son. I know that our PGR missions bring comfort to families and friends and ensure we will never forget the sacrifice our heroes and their families make to protect the freedoms we hold dear.

I wish more of our political leaders had the courage to honor those serving us as they did in St. Louis.

DocRags
02-26-2012, 09:56 PM

I wish more of our political leaders had the courage to honor those serving us as they did in St. Louis.:agree::agree::agree:. It has been an honor to ride with the PGR, remembering those that ensure our freedom. We've got another ride tomorrow...hopefully we'll be able to make it since erags will be starting his GI prep around the time the mission ends...will we be able to make it home before the meds start working, that is the question of the day!