PDA

View Full Version : RT Airbox / Oil

gypsy_100
01-27-2012, 12:56 PM
So what exactly is involved in getting the top half of the airbox off to wipe out the oil? It looks like all the clamps around the top must be unhitched and then you can get the top off. Hopefully it's that simple.

I've got 4500 mi on a 2011 RT and was surprised to see oil dripping from under the airbox the other day and possibly even seeping along the joint between the top and bottom halves. I always keep it somewhat under the "full" mark for oil as advised on this forum. It was overfull from the factory but I discovered that and siphoned it out after 200 miles. Since then it's never been overfull. I am disappointed that I see oil after only 4500 miles. I see several people saying they clean it every 3K but with all the plastic that must come off, that sounds like a real nuisance. And I can't say I like the idea of installing one of the homemade devices that others have done. Might work well but it just shouldn't have to be done.

Appreciate any comments on getting in there to clean it, and whether this is typical for an RT.

cjackg
01-30-2012, 08:41 PM
You aren't getting much response on this one but I know the problem has been widespread. I had the same thing on my 2010 RT and have not heard of it being resolved by BRP.

boborgera
01-30-2012, 10:00 PM
Two breader hose's and pop off the hold down clamps, And the top will slid out to the right side.
With a little strugle. The blowby can be cured with a peice of porous foam [suger cube size] put in the crankcase breader hose on the left side of the air box.

capt.jim
01-30-2012, 11:09 PM
I wish there was a gasket between the top of the airbox and the bottom. On my GS it doesn't fit real well, there is a slight gap in some places. I smeared a little silicone in there with my fingers and wiped it clean, hope the RT's fit a little tighter.

gypsy_100
01-31-2012, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the responses.

It hit 50F in the garage today so I entertained myself by cleaning the airbox. Time-consuming, not difficult at all. I was, however, disappointed by what I found. A nice thin layer of oil in the very bottom of the air box. The dime-sized 1/2" deep well in the front right-hand corner had a fair amount in it. Other than that, there were occasional oil spots almost everywhere as the oil mist condensed at different spots as well as some oil on the "shelf" where the throttle body intakes are. There is a gasket between the top and bottom sections but it doesn't seal perfectly and some of the condensation on the upper half worked its way down and sneaked out in spite of the gasket. Just a trace but that's what I saw and what got me started.

Interestingly, I did find there is a "baffle" with foam inside it mounted inside the box where the hose from the engine enters the air box. I can't believe this much oil mist got thru there in only 4500 miles. Since BRP already has a foam filter there, I'm reluctant to add any additional filters in the hose. The gasket, baffle and foam are visible in the parts diagram.

I got the inside of the box about as clean as when it left the factory so now I'll track it with no overfilling of the oil level, always keeping it a little below full, and see what happens. If this continues, I'll get used to it.