PDA

View Full Version : RIDE REPORT 2012 RT LIMITED

Chazzman
01-22-2012, 08:46 PM
I had the opportunity to get 100 miles on my new RT today. It was windy, cloudy and no sunshine... First of all there is nothing to compare to, the Roadster is so unique and no other manufacture has competition... I have kept two bikes in the stable for years, the last two being a Goldwing 1800 and a 2011 650 V-Strom.

PROS: I was amazed at the electronic power steering, the only thing that connected me to a 2 wheel comparison was from the waist up, I was very relaxed, no tension, light hands and the Roadster obeyed my command very nicely. The maneuverability was impressive, along with the suspension set up (as far as stock suspensions go)

Electric windshield, nice, very nice.

Overall a 10+ in the comfort category, seating position, even the seat was good for a stock seat. Heated grips, Wow they are better than anything that I have had on a BMW.
Stereo, very pleasing quality sound IMHO.

Automatic Transmission, Flawlessly operational bliss... and reverse, yahoo hang on!

So Unique and in a class of it's on... a definite piece of art with expression... desirable to most everyone on the planet.

CONS: Fuel gauge bouncing around and inaccurate

Lacking in power for a 100 hp, 80 ft pounds of torque machine but it is pushing a lot of weight and a lot of contact patch on the ground.

Be prepared to talk to a lot of people at every stop, the general population are in awe with the Roadster.

RT LIMITED: I am pleased now that my wife talked me into going with the limited, The luggage is really nice and can be used as carry on for flights. Haven't used the GPS but glad it's there. The chrome wheels a definite plus on looks and keeping clean. The chrome accents why not... The seat they could have improved on the firmness of the foam, they should have did more than just stitching on the Limited.

Well I know it's just 100 miles but I already feel comfortable and in control, I do believe this will be a long term relationship.
It's just so far from a motorcycle, I see why they call it a Roadster, very well taken point.

The reason I purchased was to get off two wheels, what could be better than the Spyder Roadster!

At 100 miles very pleased!

BikerDoc
01-22-2012, 09:18 PM
I am at 250 miles in two days on mine and share all your positives but don't feel any lack of power when comparing it to other cruisers.

SpyderAnn01
01-22-2012, 09:22 PM
:congrats: to both of you on your new Spyders.

Chazzman
01-22-2012, 09:31 PM
I am at 250 miles in two days on mine and share all your positives but don't feel any lack of power when comparing it to other cruisers.

You're probably right Doc, I have been on the Wing for a long time and you can't compare a twin with a 6 cylinder. I also am keeping the RPM's down to a large degree until I get the 1st service complete.

DragonLorD
01-22-2012, 09:33 PM
Power is there, just not on either ends, sits right in the mid RPM range, you'll feel the bike in no time, enjoy and Ryde safe Bro.

Yes you are right , MPG is lower due to extreme surface resistance , you see on 2wheeler it is an inch in line(one wheel right behind another) , Spyder is almost 10x more so if you consider that, there is very little room to improve. ....but when you hit the break pedal, and you really can hit it with full power on any road conditions, Spyder just breaks like no other vehicle, lifts your arse off like that, no other bike can do that.
....as I say - Spyder is an all weather bike, love it.

JCSMOKE
01-22-2012, 10:24 PM
They should add this book to the new owners set up, you are now a people person, even if you don't want to be!:yikes::congrats:

ARtraveler
01-23-2012, 01:49 AM
:congrats: on your new rydes. Hope you both have many more safe miles.

GloryRyders
01-23-2012, 06:59 AM
:congrats:and:welcome:..........Ryde safe.

StanProff
01-23-2012, 10:28 AM
Get a few thousand miles on the Spyder and it will suprise you with the power in the higher RPM range. I have other two wheelers, cruisers to sport, the spyder has enough power for me after almost 8 thousand miles I am more than satisified. Don't be afraid to run up into 6-7 thousand RPM, It loves to run (after the break in period). Think of it as a higher rpm sport bike, the power comes on in the upper range. I have had to get used to that coming off of a cruiser. My wife and I pulled the 622 trailer across country loaded to the gills (both bike and trailer) and have seen over 90 mph with all of that load. (my GPS clocked 102 once without the trailer) that's good enough for me. It was probally maxed out at
that speed though. :yikes:
I do agreed with many that it could use a lower gear for 1st. A 6 speed would be worth trading for. I love the bike, after riding 45 years and owning more bikes than I can count, I pick the Spyder RT. Your gonna love it for sure.

Stan

springcrawler
01-23-2012, 06:55 PM

Just got my limited late sat night as of now only have about 75mi on her,, but boy she is sweet i cant believe the difference from the rs daylight & dark
i just need more time to ride to learn all the bells whistles :)

fastfraser
01-23-2012, 07:01 PM
:congrats:on the RTS Limited . Heres :cheers:to miles of smiles !

Boriken
01-23-2012, 07:02 PM
:congrats: to the both of you, ryde safe.

StriperKing
01-23-2012, 07:26 PM
:congrats: on your new lifestyle and yes it will change from a bike. I agree with lacking HP in low and high RPMs but the power in the high RPMs is there if you want to do a few things. First dream then open the billfold :sour:, then fave fun making it yours. :thumbup:

BikerDoc
01-23-2012, 07:43 PM
Had my first night ride this evening... Wow , the change in the backlit screen color combo makes it so much easier for me to read than my 2010 RTS. I love it... I wish Spyderfest was sooner...

warp10
01-23-2012, 10:45 PM
had my new 2012 RT sm5 a/c for 2 weeks now and have 1300 miles on it. big difference from old RS. love the new ride :yes:

SpyderGirl
01-24-2012, 01:22 AM
:congrats::welcome: Glad to hear you are enjoying your Spyder. Happy Spydering!!!!!!!!!

PCBeachBum
01-24-2012, 02:48 AM
:welcome: and :congrats: to both of you on your new RT's.