PDA

View Full Version : Rear wheel bearings

r1100rider
01-21-2012, 12:18 AM
I have 13000 mi on one spyder how can I tell when or if I need to replace my rear wheel bearings, will they get noisy or will they do something catastrophic

boborgera
01-21-2012, 12:33 AM
I have 13000 mi on one spyder how can I tell when or if I need to replace my rear wheel bearings, will they get noisy or will they do something catastrophic

They will get noisy, Grinding and clicking. When they get bad you'll hear it.
Catastrophic, in extreme cases yes. Jack the rear off the ground and spin the tire by hand, if there worn you should be able to hear it and maybe feel it also.

NancysToy
01-21-2012, 08:32 AM
If they get to the point that they are noisy enough to hear while riding, or the belt starts to wander, you have gone too far. Noise or roughness while turning the wheel by hand is a better indicator. The manual calls for periodic physical inspection.

johnwinslow
01-21-2012, 08:51 AM
is there a highquality bearing kit that can be installed so that I can get this worry off the spyder,s bucket list?

Bob Denman
01-21-2012, 09:20 AM
I guess one course of action would be to replace the bearings when you're putting a new rear tire on.
The whole thing is apart anyway! :thumbup:

Floyd Baughman
01-21-2012, 09:31 AM
I replaced my bearings at 15,000 miles when I replaced my tire. The bearings looked great and still have grease in it and I saved them incase I may need them at a later date. I did this for the book said replace them at 12,000 miles. I placed them in a sandwich bag with a coat of grease to have for future use. The bearings are the cheapest thing that is offered for the spyders. 50.00 for 4 bearings.

I have 13000 mi on one spyder how can I tell when or if I need to replace my rear wheel bearings, will they get noisy or will they do something catastrophic[/QUOTE]