PDA

View Full Version : Trailer question?

kinggeek
01-19-2012, 08:51 AM
I am about to purchase an RT-622 trailer :yes: because I really enjoy riding and find I need more room for my stuff. The AMAZING DEAL I am getting does not hurt either!

Keep in mind I have never pulled a trailer behind anything but my lawn tractor and that tractor has never left my own property.

I have to ask for forgiveness before I ask what may be dumb questions.:opps:

How do you experienced trailer pullers protect your trailers once you arrive at the hotel and do not want to pull the trailer with you every where you go? Anyone with a hitch or a pickup truck could just drive up take it.:mad: Obviously this would be a VERY BAD thing.

Is there some means of securing the trailer to be left alone in a hotel lot that would somewhat deter such unsavory people from stealing my newest toy?

CyncySpyder
01-19-2012, 09:35 AM
Easiest way I go about it is with 2 locks & a cable. One lock goes throug the coupling head so it can't be open or closed so unless someone cuts the lock off, they can't connect the coupling on the trailer onto their hitch. 2nd lock, I actually spent about $20 for a heavy duty cabled wheel lock. You put the cable between the spokes of the rim and the axle & lock it. Without cutting throug the cable, its not going anywhere. Also, getting the trailer cover helps keep ppl from getting into it without being obvious & also protects from the elements.

Like anything, if they want it bad enough, thats what insurance is for :p

DougB
01-19-2012, 10:19 AM
I roll my Uni Go into my room

dancogan
01-19-2012, 10:20 AM
I agree with CincySpyder. I put a lock on the hitch so it can't easily be towed away. Then I got a pretty heavy duty cable lock at a Harley store that goes through the wheel and round the shock and is long enough to to around a lightpole or porch post at a motel. Finally, I also realize if someone really wants it they'll probably get it so I try not to leave valuables in it.

SteveMac
01-19-2012, 10:21 AM
Easiest way I go about it is with 2 locks & a cable. One lock goes throug the coupling head so it can't be open or closed so unless someone cuts the lock off, they can't connect the coupling on the trailer onto their hitch. 2nd lock, I actually spent about $20 for a heavy duty cabled wheel lock. You put the cable between the spokes of the rim and the axle & lock it. Without cutting throug the cable, its not going anywhere. Also, getting the trailer cover helps keep ppl from getting into it without being obvious & also protects from the elements.

+1

Exactly what I do. No guarantee but it makes it harder.

Sonrisa
01-19-2012, 10:35 AM
I also agree with Cincy. Have used my 622 quite a bit and the locks definitely help keep it safe as does the cover. Of course if they want it bad enough not much you can do.:(

cougar
01-19-2012, 10:39 AM

What's Teddy, chopped liver?? You have a killer watch dog to protect your trailer.

NancysToy
01-19-2012, 11:30 AM
+1 on two locks. I use an armored trailer padlock on the hitch, and a heavy-duty cable lock through the wheels and around the nearest lampost. Master Locks makes a nice 15' cable lock. The hitch lock is also good for those times when the trailer is still attached to the Spyder, parked overnight in the parking lot. I would also suggest you buy the BRP Trailer Tongue Stand if you intend to leave the trailer off the Spyder, it makes getting into the cargo space easier, and I think it makes it easier to put the cable lock in place. You can also loop the cable through the slot in the tongue stand, for additional security. At least with the cable lock through the wheels, thieves would have to pick up the trailer or cut the cable, rather than merely rolling the whole thing off. I believe a cover helps a bit with security, too, if for no other reason than making the trailer look slightly less eye-catching. BRP makes one for the RT-622, or you can use an ATV cover. All these things merely slow down a determined thief, but they may make a badguy look for easier pickings. I don't remember anyone ever reporting the theft of an RT-622 here.

TicketBait
01-19-2012, 02:25 PM
Shotgun by my side and if I doze off DooLittle keeps an eye out the window

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e240/TicketBait/iphone010.jpg

dancogan
01-19-2012, 02:29 PM
Shotgun by my side and if I doze off DooLittle keeps an eye out the window...

He certainly scares me! DooLittle I mean. :roflblack: