PDA

View Full Version : anyone still riding ??

SPYDERGUY1
01-18-2012, 10:09 PM
Curious. Is anyone still riding > Saw a couple of bikes recently, before the S*&# hit the fan. Currently major snow/ice covered, and - 37 before the wind chill factor kicks in. Gotta love the CANADIAN NORTH, EH. ( sorry had to throw that in ).

flamingobabe
01-18-2012, 10:27 PM
I'm riding this Saturday...suppose to be in the 70's ...I'm ready

lyonsden
01-18-2012, 10:34 PM
We been riding here almost every weekend. :clap:We've been very lucky, no snow and temps in the 50s and 60s. I'm sure winter will catchup to us soon. We rode to Leavenworth from Topeka Sunday and had lunch, beer and watched some football. Just a great day!!:yes:

StanTheMan
01-18-2012, 10:38 PM
I have not ridden the BRP Spyder since earlier this month. Weather is better, but still lots of salt on the ground from last week.

On the brighter side, I did ride a different BRP with some friends up in Haliburton, Ontario (3 hours North of Toronto) today. Weather was great!

smurfette
01-18-2012, 10:41 PM
I would LOVE to be able to ride.. temps have been good (40's+), but the roads are heavily salted:mad:

Big Arm
01-18-2012, 10:45 PM
Just went riding here in Tucson, AZ with my B.C. Canadian neighbor. 70 degrees here. Come on down. :ohyea::roflblack:

SPYDERGUY1
01-18-2012, 10:47 PM
SMURFETE, stay strong, am pretty sure you will be ryding long before me ( still 4 months plus/minus ) of this crap. Good luck.

Questions
01-18-2012, 10:50 PM
After reading posts from folks putting their Spyders away for the winter, I felt morally
obligated to take the Spyder to run my errands today. Blue skies, sunny, no wind...temps in
the low 70's. Beautiful day for a ride.

Peggy in Murrieta

JCSMOKE
01-18-2012, 11:18 PM
Have not been on a working machine in months. Though I could have been ryding up until last week if I had just decided not to upgrade, I will be back in the saddle this spring and I dare say a damn site more comfy on the road with the upgrades. I got to move south!:banghead:

Blackwidow74
01-18-2012, 11:20 PM
I put 130 miles today on my bike:clap:, temps were around 65deg. I live in CA and I ride year round. I feel for all the riders who must put there bike away for the winter, I would be depressed. I will ride to work tomorrow, when I come home it will be around 51deg at 11pm:clap: I like riding in this type of weather, I get to use my chaps and Schampa gear.

murphybrown
01-18-2012, 11:20 PM
When the temp dropped to 12 and then there is that wind chill factor ...but the roads were still bare...NO MORE...12 " snow on my front porch.yep, winter finally hit Chelan..Ms Spyder all snug in her "stall"..plugged into battery to stay warm and I'm plotting and planning for when the good weather comes....

ARtraveler
01-18-2012, 11:29 PM
Mine has been parked since the first ice cover on my road--October.

Today though when I went into Anchorage, I saw a man on an orange HD with a sidecar going down the road. Temp today was -10 below zero. Now that is a hardy person.

pro10is
01-19-2012, 12:21 AM
Only 5 degrees here with roads full of snow and ice. I can still dream of riding though!

tobor9
01-19-2012, 12:26 AM
still riding almost every day,mostly local, but always great,makes everyday trips more fun:yes:

Pandy
01-19-2012, 12:29 AM
Just this last weekend did a jaunt from Charleston to Macon GA. Got a bit on the chilly side after nightfall but nothing compared to what our friends to the north cope with. Planning a short venture on this Saturday, on a fried chicken quest.

Patrick

SethO
01-19-2012, 01:23 AM
it was -10f without he windchill when i rode to work tonight, its going to be close to -30 F when I go home at 6am. I ride everyday.

I will say there is a traction difference once you are below 10F , the snow gets more like sandpaper or the salt on the salt flats. Glad I got the heated vest his year.

ABQ_Spyderman
01-19-2012, 02:09 AM
I kind of have a rule...if it's below 20 degrees, I won't ride her into work. It just isn't practical to gear up and report to work in business casual. It's been cold here the last few days, but I plan to resume riding tomorrow. It's going to warm up and actually be in the high 50's this weekend--so more good riding! I will continue to find any excuse to ride....and to wait that extra 10 minutes to leave work so it gets dark and everybody can stop and stare at my P-H-A-T LED's! :yes:

--ABQ

Ga Blue Knight
01-19-2012, 02:22 AM
Yeah still riding every day. Got real chilly yesterday got all of the way down to 67 degrees! Although it sounds great for winter weather, the dirty little secret that we southern Ryder's don't mention is the summer! It was 105 degrees with 100 percent humidity last August. There is only so much clothes that you can take off in the heat!

captblack
01-19-2012, 06:39 AM
I ride nearly every day. All of those that have had to store their rides can take comfort in this ... This summer when you are riding around in the 70's, we will be sweating our *&^%$ off in the 100 degree + temps and high humidity.

Seems law enforcement types frown on how fast we have to go to cool off ... :yikes:

dancogan
01-19-2012, 07:02 AM
Last ride was on Friday, with temps in the 40's or so. Ran some errands and stopped by a Cabela's before heading home. Now it sits in the garage with a green light from the Battery Tender, waiting for the next time the roads are clean and clear! Supposed to have 2-5" of snow by Saturday.

dannymax
01-19-2012, 07:04 AM
I don't know how you southern guys take that 100/100 stuff, it flattens me! Guess I still have the thick blood of a north country mountain lad but I'll take the cold any day over that oppressive heat/humidity.

But no, no riding going on here.....more due to salt than the cold....it's been a very light year for snow so far and it doesn't take much of an excuse for the road guys to ladle the ol' salt on....even the 'possibility' of a little snow has them out! Think it's a budget thing....:dontknow:

CyncySpyder
01-19-2012, 07:16 AM
:yes:EVERY DAY :yes:

kinggeek
01-19-2012, 07:38 AM
Almost every day.

ijon1
01-19-2012, 07:40 AM
I will be riding everyday when we get to Florida.

GloryRyders
01-19-2012, 07:49 AM
In the St. Louis area, we have been blessed to get in maybe one or two days a week this winter. The weather has been wierd this winter. Get a day of 50 or 60 and the next it's 16 when you get up!:dontknow: On well, you take what you get and be thankful:D

boborgera
01-19-2012, 07:55 AM
Every day, Salt/Sand washes off. Every day not riding is another day you'll never get back.

arntufun
01-19-2012, 08:08 AM
Every day, Salt/Sand washes off. Every day not riding is another day you'll never get back.

:agree: As soon as my Spyder is whole again, I'm going for a ride. :doorag:

groundeffect
01-19-2012, 08:24 AM
I ride everyday.

Unless there is a snow storm or the roads have 4-5 inches of the white stuff, I ride my Spyder. Weather here has been up and down and all over the place. Flurries one day with sub zero temperatures, rain the next and 9C.

Coldest we've gotten that I've ridden in this year, so far, was about -15C (5F). However, because of the cold and damp air winters we usually get here, that -15C (5F) feels more like -25C (-13F).

It would be impossible without my large windshield, heated grips and wind deflectors.
Cheers from Newfoundland.

groundeffect
01-19-2012, 08:25 AM

:agree:
:agree:
:thumbup::thumbup:

groundeffect
01-19-2012, 08:29 AM
it was -10f without he windchill when i rode to work tonight, its going to be close to -30 F when I go home at 6am. I ride everyday.

I will say there is a traction difference once you are below 10F , the snow gets more like sandpaper or the salt on the salt flats. Glad I got the heated vest his year.

Hey Seth!

When the temps drop low like this here, all the slush and snow turns to hard and slick from our damp air. Sounds like you can ride in powder - cool! :).

boborgera
01-19-2012, 08:36 AM

I Glad I got the heated vest his year.

Bet you wondered how you did without it all these years?:thumbup::thumbup:

fispyder
01-19-2012, 12:53 PM
In the south you ncan ride about anytime. don't like the rain or below 40 other than that I can ride about anytime I feel like riding. The problem is finding someone esle during the week to ride. lifes rough aint it ;)

Gordy
01-19-2012, 01:00 PM
:(:(:( -36to-40 this morning with windchill wont be able to ride for about 2 months. spydey sitting in garage with battery tender ready for spring

Dustybell
01-19-2012, 01:06 PM
Been ryding every weekend. Temps here have been 40 to 60 degrees. Beautiful Jan. so far.

GI Jane
01-19-2012, 01:13 PM
Ride year round down here. I spent 16 years in Cleveland, OH so I'm allowed to "rub it in". Rode 180 miles yesterday on a PGR mission. A touch chilly in the 40s. but so worth it.

rcdurango
01-19-2012, 01:30 PM
I'm riding this Saturday...suppose to be in the 70's ...I'm ready

Your in Texas and that don't count...It's cold out there! I try to ride when ever I can. But if its below 35/40 its
just a little cold. So far its been a winter that just kinda teases you along. I ask wife last night how much longer
we have, Hope that Ground Hog gets it right.

Sarge707
01-19-2012, 04:20 PM
Just got back from 50 Miles highway mostly- Green stuff spread on my backroads?
1st Time at 30 Degrees because snow is coming.
1-Thermal suit works great.
2-Oxford Hot Hands work Great.
3-Tourmaster "Winter Elite Gloves with the 3 Finger Nylon (WindProof) Mitten over the glove is a Great windbreaker!!!!
4-Nylon and normal Balacava under helmet and I,m in heaven!!!!!
6th Ride in January but I now know 30 degrees is no big deal at 70 mph if your dressed right!:yikes:

GnA
01-19-2012, 04:21 PM
Got about 125 miles in on Saturday... and today is in the 60's!!!!

Ryding from SF to Phoenix next week....

SethO
01-19-2012, 04:41 PM
Hey Seth!

When the temps drop low like this here, all the slush and snow turns to hard and slick from our damp air. Sounds like you can ride in powder - cool! :).

true,I have a firehawk GT on now I got from Yazz. I have got to get some weight on the swingarm.

If I did not go heated garage to heated garage I could not do what I do. in these temps my wheelchair metal is so cold that it will stick to your hands without gloves if you are out for more than 10 minutes at speed.

Still have not made it to the great white north of canada on the beast. I think BRP has pics of me at the border, "DO NOT this thing across"

arntufun
01-19-2012, 06:13 PM
true,I have a firehawk GT on now I got from Yazz. I have got to get some weight on the swingarm.

If I did not go heated garage to heated garage I could not do what I do. in these temps my wheelchair metal is so cold that it will stick to your hands without gloves if you are out for more than 10 minutes at speed.

Still have not made it to the great white north of canada on the beast. I think BRP has pics of me at the border, "DO NOT this thing across"

Seth, everyone always complains about salt. Have you noticed any effects from salt on your Spyder ???

Big Arm
01-19-2012, 06:51 PM
Seth, everyone always complains about salt. Have you noticed any effects from salt on your Spyder ???

39652:roflblack: :roflblack::roflblack:

Kraut
01-19-2012, 06:59 PM
Still Rydin'. Out here in the California Desert it's been severe clear with 93 million miles visability and highs in the mid-sixties. We've had several mornings where the temperature has been in the mid twenties, and a couple of days of wind, but other than that it has been typical desert weather. Sometimes ya just gotta love it!

BikerDoc
01-19-2012, 07:15 PM
So far I have ridden every single day this year - all complements of friends and a wonderful dealers loaner... next week it looks like I finally get to start riding my own new 2012 Spyder Limited

BigBadBob
01-19-2012, 07:47 PM
HotLanta is still rolling.

Rain approaching.

Hang in there and hope we make to Cuba!!!:bowdown:

dancogan
01-19-2012, 07:56 PM
Got home from dropping off a car for service at around 7:30 pm (in a car myself). It was 11 F and what do I see behind me but a motorcycle rider with a side car! If I had a chance I would have tried to shake his hand. Impressive.

RMROCK
01-19-2012, 08:23 PM
I rode last week temps in the 50's. Going to ride on Monday the temps will be the 50's again.

SPYDERGUY1
01-19-2012, 08:35 PM
I am extremely JEALOUS, however remain enthusiastic, that 2012 will be a great year, doing the OREGON coast....:yikes::yes:

SPYDERGUY1
01-19-2012, 08:39 PM
Ya experienced the crazy heat last year ryding in Montana area. Was nice but too freaking hot. The search for cool shade was a challenge.

coz
01-19-2012, 08:41 PM
haven't ridden for three weeks, longest stretch since i bought it in july, by far. promising weather for next week, we'll see:popcorn:

sewnonnie
01-19-2012, 08:43 PM
Had a great ryde yesterday in the Covington, GA area with a new friend, missjrooks. Our two Spyders drew many eyes and comments. The weather was great, 50s with blue skies and a little wind. Looking forward to any dry weather this weekend t get Miss Daisy out. Her new "duds" (Ultimate seat with rider backrest and spiffy yellow stitching). As soon as I get a bit more daylight, I will start riding to and from work.

Fonz
01-19-2012, 08:46 PM
I'm riding everyday. I found some great thermals by Under Armor, 3.0 Base layer. As a brother you know we hate cold, but I'm riding like a man possessed. :People in town think I'm crazy, but I'm having the time of my life.All I can say is " RIDE ON "

smartin436
01-19-2012, 08:51 PM
Yup, ride to work almost everyday. This morning was 34 deg. This afternoon was 69deg.:D

Fonz
01-19-2012, 08:53 PM
haven't ridden for three weeks, longest stretch since i bought it in july, by far. promising weather for next week, we'll see:popcorn:
Get some cold weather gear, and keep on riding

SethO
01-19-2012, 08:59 PM

not that I am aware of , you should wash it or ride in the rain after riding all winter but it has not had parts fall off or anything. I am sure it harder on it than not riding it but that's what I do, test things.

twain
01-19-2012, 10:42 PM
Still riding here in Houston.

groundeffect
01-20-2012, 07:13 AM
Ryding everyday, including through the winter here, I've noticed the sand and salt on the roads in these parts get into the smallest of places and wear things quicker. Even with my religion weekly wash down and rust-check application I've had parts wear quicker - rear sprocket and belt, brake pedal pivot, front A-Arm (lower) bushings and some secondary bolts that I've replaced, parking brake cable.

groundeffect
01-20-2012, 07:16 AM
Ryding everyday, including through the winter here, I've noticed the sand and salt on the roads in these parts get into the smallest of places and wear things quicker. Even with my religion weekly wash down and rust-check application I've had parts wear quicker - rear sprocket and belt, brake pedal pivot, front A-Arm (lower) bushings and some secondary bolts that I've replaced, parking brake cable.

To add..., the extra time for cleaning, care and replacement of parts year-round riding takes involves, it is still worth it ;). imho.

3Willie
01-20-2012, 08:36 AM
Rode about 80 miles yesterday with the temps from 35-44 degrees. Figured the wind chill was about 16 degrees at 70 mph, but stayed warm with heated gear. Did not see any other bikes out though.

Boriken
01-20-2012, 06:16 PM
I have been ryding almost every day since I got the RT-S on July 30, 2011, only snow, ice or rain will stop me from ryding. So far we only had rain here at the Jersey Shore. It has been very cold in the morning and evening comutes to and from work this past week, but a couple of layers of clothing has worked well so far (Waiting on a thermo suit to arrive).

Brevet05
01-20-2012, 06:26 PM
Twelve degrees this morning, but no snow, so off I went to get a new tire on the rear. Still love to ride this thing in the winter. I know there's salt on the road, but last time I checked, washing still gets it off.

Brevet05
01-20-2012, 06:31 PM
Wow, that's a lot of wear! How many miles do you have on your Spyder? I have a little over 16,000, am riding my second winter, and haven't had anything replaced except for the rear tire. Had it serviced this morning, and every thing still looks nominal. When can I expect to need another sprocket?