PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning my New Spyder R.T.

LarBear4442
01-17-2012, 03:40 PM
Hi everyone, I'm new to this Spyder world. I bought a new 2012 R.T. for Christmas, and since it's snowy and cold here in the high country of Colorado and my Spyder is sitting out in my heated shop, thought I would do some cleaning and waxing. Any suggestions on what to do and more importantly what not to do in the way of cleaning and waxing my new Spyder.

boborgera
01-17-2012, 04:30 PM
I use Honda spray wax on all my toys, But quite a few recommend Pledge.
I don't use Pledge because if my wife seen me with a can in my hand she'll want me to dust the furniture:yikes:

LarBear4442
01-17-2012, 04:55 PM
I use Honda spray wax on all my toys, But quite a few recommend Pledge.
I don't use Pledge because if my wife seen me with a can in my hand she'll want me to dust the furniture:yikes:

Great find, it appears the Honda wax will clean everything from the windshield, body parts, chrome and tires...........I won't even consider the Pledge, then I would have to clean my furniture too. Thanks for the advise.

Bob Denman
01-18-2012, 07:39 AM
In all seriousness (CAN I SAY THAT?!? :shocked:); Pledge does a pretty good job... I use either that or Meguiers Quick Detailer for the easy jobs and good old car wash detergent when it requires a bit more convincing to get the dirt off of the bike. :thumbup:

ABN350F
01-18-2012, 01:02 PM
I use Lemon Pledge for the body and vinegar and water for the windscreen

johnnyg
01-18-2012, 05:22 PM
I use pledge on my RT & RS when were out on a ride and I can't wash it. Edit I use it on the 622 trailer to.

StriperKing
01-18-2012, 09:57 PM
I use 210 on body and windshield. I use mothers back to black for all black plastic parts. 210 is the best stuff I have ever used.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/cs/plexiglascleaners.html

Tin Can
01-18-2012, 10:02 PM
Pledge, and my wife even bought me my own can of it, so I would stop using her's

Arr MiHardies
01-19-2012, 12:28 AM
I use a product called plexus on my entire bike. Works wonders. Really makes the bike shine and makes the windshield crystal clear.

fastfraser
01-19-2012, 08:26 AM
I use my wife. She does a pretty good job !:roflblack::roflblack:

Pledge works great while out on the road. But back at home I give the wife Turtle Wax Ice. It works on the black plastic as well without leaving white marks .

Bob Denman
01-19-2012, 08:57 AM
Why is it that those Pledge cans seem to fit a feminine hand better?? :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:
Uh-oh... :shocked:

boborgera
01-19-2012, 09:27 AM
Why is it that those Pledge cans seem to fit a feminine hand better?? :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:
Uh-oh... :shocked:

I know what you mean, If i were to use pledge on my T/G,
I would have to put a Pig Snot label on the can.:roflblack:

StanProff
01-21-2012, 11:16 PM
I have always used the "quick spray waxes" for the body panels and the shields. Quick and easy. I have never used a "cleaner" liquid or paste wax, they may be abrasive to the finish on the Tupperware:thumbup:.

teacherbob
01-22-2012, 09:11 AM
We use Cycle-Brite foam cleaner and Original shine.
http://www.powersports4less.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Cycle Brite
http://www.powersports4less.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=TR-530396

punji
01-22-2012, 09:25 AM
Carry a can and a microfiber towel in my trunk for bug removal when on the road. Great stuff! Even use it on my 4-wheelers. Easy on/easy off ....:clap:

spyderrock
01-22-2012, 11:20 AM
Just a note on how i clean my 2011 rt limited. I only use mothers concentrated soap ad it to a bucket of warm water and your good to go. I also use a product call GOO-GONE it now comes in a spray it works on all the bugs that get plastered to the front of the bike spray it on wait 5 min then use your mothers soaP and water with a wash mit(micro-fiber) and wash it all off. Rinse your bike of with a garden hose wipe dry with micro cloth then wait for bike to dry. After bike is dry you should use a paste wax(Mothers) do 2 coats this should last about 4 months follow directions. Then all you haveto do is use Mothers spray shine once a week and this will keep the bike looking excellent. When you goto wash 90% of the bugs will wash off with the garden hose. Just a note that Paste waxes or Liquid waxes will not harm the plastic of the Spyder it has all been Clear coated....WAX ON WAX OFF have fun.

Chazzman
01-22-2012, 01:56 PM
I have used this procedure on my cars and bikes: I insure the bike is spotless free of dust, wax and so forth. This is ideal when you have a brand new bike, not much preparation needed. I put 3 coats of Xzlion Molecular Adhesion Paint Sealant on all the painted, chrome and even the windshield. IT creates an impermeable protection against fall-out, road grime, bird litter, bugs rain ETC. We use this in Automotive and it sells for $499 applied to the car I bought a new Goldwing in 2005, after 7 years, hardly even a scratch... We know that nothing will protect against rock chips but believe me this helps tremendously.

After that I use 'Klasse' All-IN-ONE paint cleaner & protector and 'Klasse' High Gloss Sealant Glaze. These products are imported from Germany, they can be purchased on line. The Sealant Glaze last forever.

I have used this to win bike shows, the protection is very good.

After each ride, I wipe the bike down with a warm damp terry cloth to remove any dirt, bugs and road grime, then dry with a clean cloth.

I am a little meticulous lol.