PDA

View Full Version : International Motorcycle Show- Worth Checking Out

daveinva
01-16-2012, 09:45 PM
I'm sure this is the umpteenth thread here about this, but *I* went this past weekend to the DC stop, so it's important to me, dang it.

http://www.motorcycleshows.com/

Anyway, it's not a huge show-- one floor of the DC convention center (the auto show takes both floors, and it's not that big of an auto show).

Still, pretty much all the major manufacturers are represented; a few were missing (BMW, strangely, and the smaller folks like KTM, Aprilia, Ural, etc.), but a nice selection.

Pleasantly, BRP's display was right at the entryway, first one to visit. Nice size, and very popular- PLENTY of people sitting on the Spyders, kids getting their photos taken, etc. Rock stars even at the show!

Saw my first Lava Bronze RT in person. All waxed up, the color looks really metallic, it's a neat effect. Still not my cup of tea-- I prefer the matte look, myself-- but kudos on the tan leather seat (wish it was an option with the blue RT, think that'd be a sharp match). Also saw the nuke green RS, or whatever that color is... again, not a fan (wish we had British Racing Green instead), but still, it's a Spyder! :thumbup:

The one thing I learned? Saturday was the first time I sat on a stock RS since I upgraded my seat/windshield/installed risers/footboards, etc. It's amazing how far my bike is now from stock. While I love my new seat, I admit, I still do miss the stock handlebars a little bit. I know it's impossible for most people (including me) to ride an RS for hours at a time without risers, but for those short 30 min - 1 hour speed runs, that stock forward position sure was fun. If I ever decide to pick up an RT of my own, I might return the RS to stock configuration just to have that particular brand of fun again.

That said, I'm pretty sure my next bike won't be an RT-- LOTS of nice stuff there, but I really would like a dual sport/adventure/touring bike to take the places the Spyder can't go. I was impressed with the Kawasaki Versys the most (it "fit" me about the best of the touring bikes), although a local dealer had his BMW bikes there (even though BMW corporate didn't have a display), and I must say, the GS is one nice bike as well (great, I *always* have to have the expensive tastes, don't I??)

Speaking of expensive tastes, in the gear department, British Motorcycle Gear had a booth, I got to try on a lot of their gear for the first time. I think I'll definitely be buying some of their stuff in the near future, was very impressed with the flexibility/versatility of it all. Their regular stuff is reasonably priced-- a bargain for the quality-- but their high-end stuff was *quite* pricey, in particular their leather gear. However, let me say, their leather gear is freakin' outstanding-- soft as anything, armored underneath, and stylish to boot. I won't be buying an $800 leather jacket anytime soon, but if I ever do, it'll be from them.

Anyway, again, the show is about halfway through their tour, so if it's coming to a city near you soon, it's worth spending a few hours to check it out. The gear selection wasn't huge-- and the prices weren't that great-- but nothing beats a motorcycle show/rally for trying on needed gear.

Plus.... pretty bikes!

JCSMOKE
01-16-2012, 10:31 PM
Going to Chicago show coming up! Did you see campers there? Really the only reason I'm going is to check out the campers in there natural environment.

NancysToy
01-16-2012, 11:01 PM
We did the show in Novi (Detroit) a couple of weeks ago. First time I saw the Lava Bronze or the green, too. My downfall was sitting on the Triumph Tiger 800. Gonna have to test ride one of those in the Spring. We're still trying to decide whether to take the tour bus to Chicago for that show. BTW, Trailmaster has their Aspen campers at Chicago last year. Ther camper maunufacurer's Websites usually list their shows. Trailmaster usually has open houses at the same time, and shuttle busses.

JCSMOKE
01-17-2012, 06:22 AM
We did the show in Novi (Detroit) a couple of weeks ago. First time I saw the Lava Bronze or the green, too. My downfall was sitting on the Triumph Tiger 800. Gonna have to test ride one of those in the Spring. We're still trying to decide whether to take the tour bus to Chicago for that show. BTW, Trailmaster has their Aspen campers at Chicago last year. Ther camper maunufacurer's Websites usually list their shows. Trailmaster usually has open houses at the same time, and shuttle busses.

Just checked and they will have a shuttle for the tour on Saturday.

qasamm
01-17-2012, 06:49 AM
I also went to the dc show. It was a bit smaller than I expected but ok. Got to see some some nice custom bikes in the contest. Can-am ha a great presence with lots of interaction with the visitors.

When they found out I had one they quickly switched to my girlfriend needing her own. They were shocked to hear she has one too. She told them mine was nicer but she rides harder. There was a but of blushing...

JJW SpyderRider
01-17-2012, 01:47 PM
Just checked and they will have a shuttle for the tour on Saturday.

The Illinois group is looking to go to the show Saturday. We need to try and get everyone together. I have not been to a show before so I wanted to tag along with other Spyderlovers if I could. Looking forward to the show. :yes: