PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Rider by Neil Peart

STUNMUN
01-16-2012, 02:16 PM
We are aware of the healing power of being on an iron horse on the open road.
Within a ten-month period, Neil Peart, drummer for RUSH, lost his 19 year old daughter in a car wreck and his wife succumbed from a broken heart. Depression drove him to the brink of suicide when he was prompted by a dear friend to purchase and make a motorcycle trip. 55 thousand miles later he returned and wrote "Ghost Rider Travels on the Healing Road." I have taken a passage from it to share with those who haven't read how this man who suffered family losses so devasting that they left him a ghost and how a motorcycle brought him back to life.

THE SKY REMAINED BRIGHT THE AIR COOL AND DELICIOUS.
THE SINUOUS ROAD RACING TOWARD ME WAS SO CHALLENGING
I WAS DRAWN INTO THE ADRENALINE ZONE.

TURN BY TURN MY PACE INCREASED UNTIL
I WAS RIDING WITH COMPLETE FOCUS
HIGHLIGHTED BY EVER-PRESENT DANGER
AND OCCASIONAL THRILL OF FEAR.
RACING AGAINST PHYSICS AND MY OWN SENSE OF CAUTION IN A SUBLIME RYTHEM OF SHIFTING, BRAKING, LEANING DEEP INTO THE CURVES, THEN ACCELERATING OUT AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN. EMOTIONS I HADN’T KNOWN FOR YEARS I FOUND MYSELF WHOOPING OUT LOUD WITH SHEER EXCITEMENT…

NEIL PEART

CyncySpyder
03-18-2012, 01:14 PM
I had a discussion with my neighbor just this morning, as I walked Teddy out in our shared driveway, he was bringing his 2 wheeler out of the all too long winter slumber and he was shining and polishing all the bright chrome of his stead. We both agreed, as we stood back and admired his hard work, that there is no better medicine for the soul, than a good ryde in the wind :thumbup:

fastfraser
03-18-2012, 01:28 PM
Its all about the ride !:thumbup:

Fire911
03-18-2012, 02:07 PM
You don't see many motorcycles parked in front of psychiatrists offices....unless they own'em. Best therapy in the world.

mooneych
03-18-2012, 02:41 PM
Having been a fan of RUSH for almost 35 years :shocked:, I really felt his loss. It takes a lot of guts to tell your friends that you will be gone "for a while".

Now that I own a bike and have been through my own trials, I understand what Neil was talking about, and I understand all of you a little bit better.

"The road unwinds towards me
What was there is gone
The road unwinds before me
And I go riding on"

"Driven" by RUSH, Test for Echo, 1996

Firefly
03-18-2012, 03:29 PM
Long time RUSH fan. Neils story was amazing. To lose a daughter in a car accident and then your wife of cancer within 10 months, and then the family dog..... can't imagine. He explains that riding 'soothes the soul'... much like rocking a baby comforts it. He doesn't like flying and will generally rides his motorcycle from concert to concert. He used to ride bicycle a lot also.

The recent documentary on them : "Beyond the lighted stage" is really enlightening about the band and each of the members... I highly recommend it.

After his return to the band, they have been as popular as ever, putting out some of their best music since 2112 in my opinion. I saw them twice on the Snakes and Arrows tour a couple years ago and then once during the Time Machine tour last year.... amazing stuff.

Bob Denman
03-18-2012, 05:16 PM
...that there is no better medicine for the soul, than a good ryde in the wind :thumbup:

:agree:
:agree::agree: :bowdown::bowdown: :thumbup:

joet82
03-19-2012, 01:06 AM
I haven't had a major loss that has affected me deeply, but there is a reason why I call my quad 'My Mistress', and my Spyder 'My Therapist'.

Bob Denman
03-19-2012, 07:13 AM
What kind of quad are we talking about here??? :shocked: