PDA

View Full Version : If you had to choose one...

waytootall67
01-13-2012, 12:41 PM
I have never been to a Spyder event before, looking to go to Durango in June. April is too early to ride from Calgary to Spyderfest, however not being to any event before I pose the question "If you could only attend one event, which would it be?"

Dave

kinggeek
01-13-2012, 01:00 PM
Never been to Spyderfest, but I am going to both this year. I have been to the owners event my wife. We went last year to Maggie Valley and to me it was a bit lacking. Aside from all the great people there with their Spyders there was not a lot to the 'event' other than the AMAZING local roads and the riding. I have heard that Spyderfest is much more of an event with more to do and see in addition to the great riding.

napper39
01-13-2012, 01:00 PM
spyder fest moore to do and see and many venders instaling for free.:thumbup::2thumbs::chat:

rafiki2cu
01-13-2012, 01:17 PM
:agree: Spyderfest.

Bumblebee67
01-13-2012, 06:33 PM
Did you say the magic word.... FREE?????

docdoru
01-13-2012, 06:49 PM
Spyderfest. :thumbup:

BajaRon
01-13-2012, 07:19 PM
I haven't been to every owner's event so take that into consideration. But my feeling is the owner's event (so far anyway) has been so different every time it's hard to say what you're going to get for sure. I do think the Durango, CO venue this year has a lot of potential.

The Quebec and Maggie Valley events were great! I just couldn't bring myself to do the Chicago event but I'm looking forward to this years owner's meeting.

On the other hand, I don't know how Cowtown does it. I didn't think they could have a better event than the previous year, but they did. And I'll say it again this year. I don't know how they can top last year (though just having another Spyderfest as good as last year would be GREAT!).

But this year, even though I don't know how they will do it, I almost expect them to out-do even last years Spyderfest.

Lamonster
01-13-2012, 07:43 PM
If I had to pick one it would be Spyderfest for sure. This is a grassroots event with vendors and you can't beat the host. :doorag:

The owners event this year should be great too if nothing else then the riding in the area, it's hard to top the riding in that area. Either way I'm sure a good time will be had by all. :thumbup:

BikerDoc
01-13-2012, 07:44 PM
Definitely Spyderfest.. No comparison.. Spyderfest is no.1 and everything else is a distant 2nd

NancysToy
01-13-2012, 07:51 PM
Spyderfest! I missed the first. I intend to never, ever miss another.

Firefly
01-13-2012, 07:58 PM
Agree with the others---- SPYDERFEST would be #1... no question.

rogerb
01-13-2012, 08:31 PM
Spyderfest is Numero One. The owners event was nice but it lacked a lot. It felt like a one day event. The only thing that seemed planned was the dinner. Spyderfest is the opposite All kind of things to do. This year I am adding an extra day to my schedule. I am going to try harder to keep up with the programs. If you don't have a great time at Spyderfest you have a problem. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Oldmanzues
01-13-2012, 08:58 PM
I would agree with most of the others, Spyderfest. Maggie Valley did not seem to have events as such planned. People did get togeather and ride, but no central planning point. Dinner was great. I had ridden many of the road in Maggie Valley, so I spent time at the Muesum and talking/looking at Spyders.
Amybody for the Devils Elbow on route 66 again or the worlds tallest rocking chair with 66 Root Beer. Hope to see in one of them. Why does a place called Cowtown sell Spyders ?
Oldmanzues

SteveMac
01-13-2012, 09:58 PM
Wow. Great to see all the posts supporting SpyderFest! From all the MoGang and Cowtown. THANKS! :bowdown:

Like Lamont, I think both events will be off the hook this year.

Of course, I am partial to SpyderFest, and I wish you all could see everything that MoGang is working on behind the scenes. Emails flying around with new ideas that we know you all are going to love.

Personally, I am also going to the owners event this year.
I am really looking forward to riding in and around Colorado. A first for me! :2excited:

Still, I will say we would LOVE to have you at SpyderFest and there are just so many great people who show up that I am 100% sure you will have a blast! :clap: :2thumbs::clap:

ronv
01-13-2012, 10:16 PM
Got to be Spyderfest

Ron

Ga Blue Knight
01-13-2012, 11:31 PM
The Owners events are definitely underwhelming!! Nothing to do, nothing to see. If it were not for the great riding and great folks it would have been a big let down. Spyderfest for sure!! BRP are you listening?

BajaRon
01-13-2012, 11:41 PM
The Owners events are definitely underwhelming!! Nothing to do, nothing to see. If it were not for the great riding and great folks it would have been a big let down. Spyderfest for sure!! BRP are you listening?

I think BRP is adjusting. Not everyone can get it right the first time like Cowtown did. Then out-do themselves the 2nd year (other than Lamonster's BBQ which is another world altogether). http://www.myemoticons.com/images/hobbies-leisure/cooking/barbeque.gif

By the way, have any of you seen the after BBQ group that shows up every year?

http://15.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kuuadqz7AR1qzs56do1_500.jpg

Only time will tell but I'm hoping the Owner's event in Durango is one that people will be sorry they missed.

jimclarkf1
01-14-2012, 02:25 AM
I went by myself, not sure how I would fit in, also my 1st bike advent, I was treated like a SPECIAL person. I still think about the good times, and the GREAT people there.:2thumbs:

johnnyg
01-14-2012, 06:04 AM
Spyderfest

Mo Lee
01-14-2012, 06:25 AM
Like Stevemac said we want to thank everyone for all the positive comments about Spyderfest, however Spyderfest is not just the results of LaMonster, Cowtown or the MoGang, it is possible because of each and every Spyderlover who has ever attended, all we do is try to supersize the events we do ourselves all year long and apply the ideas we pick up at Spyderfest and on Spyderlovers. The real reason Spyderfest is so good is because of the friendly group of people who attend and the interaction that takes place.

Ga Blue Knight
01-14-2012, 07:55 AM
I think BRP is adjusting. Not everyone can get it right the first time like Cowtown did. Then out-do themselves the 2nd year (other than Lamonster's BBQ which is another world altogether). http://www.myemoticons.com/images/hobbies-leisure/cooking/barbeque.gif

By the way, have any of you seen the after BBQ group that shows up every year?

http://15.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kuuadqz7AR1qzs56do1_500.jpg

Only time will tell but I'm hoping the Owner's event in Durango is one that people will be sorry they missed.

I agree that things will most likely get better at the owners events but they did not need to start from scratch! I had gone to many Moto Guzzi events years ago that had much better planning and events. Even local events had more to do and see. I think the real issue is that BRP did not do their homework on motorcycle events and just did what they do for other recreational vehicles.

There's a real paradigm issue here. Motorcycle companies, even small ones, have a much different mind set then Sporting or Recreational vehicle companies. For many riders the Spyder RT or RS is a daily transport and a fun vehicle not just a toy to use once in a while like a Ski Do or Wave Runner. The dealers also reflect this in long waiting times and high prices for service and partsin addition to a lack of concern for folks waiting months to get their rides back. Don't get me wrong I love my RS and my Dealer is trying to accommodate the Spyders in our area as best he can but he carries 4 wheelers, boats wave runners and Archery Equipment! Oh a few Spyders when he can get them. sorry for the long rant but it is Germaine to the issue of Spyderfest versus The Owners Event by BRP. When BRP embraces its Spyder Ryder base as a separate entity and passes this on down to the dealers things will turn around at the events as well. Until then we will just have to share attention with the wave runners and Ski Do's. By the way more Spyders were sold last year then Ski Do's.

SpyderLady
01-14-2012, 08:08 AM
Yes I am part of MOGANG that puts on Spyderfest and I might be a bit partial but it is the largest grass roots Spyder event. We have people from other countries and most of the United States. As you can see from the posts and on our website Spyderfest is something not to be missed. It is a great time put on by Spyder riders for Spyder (and other bikes) riders. Yes we have a vendor village, meals planned, games rides.....what more can I say. Yes this year I will make Durango (my first BRP event). Based on what I have heard i do not have my expectations very high, but want to ride in the area, meet others and reconnect with those I have had the pleasure of meeting at Spyderfest. We do have people coming in from Canada. Perhaps check in their specific location on spyderlovers. There might be a group you could meet up with. I know some of the BRP people will be coming.

Lamonster
01-14-2012, 08:26 AM

Wow, I see where you get your handle. I don't get where you say there was nothing to do or see. It was all about the great riding, what else did you want to do or see? I think the only big complaint I heard was there were no vendors and I would agree with that but the bike show, Deals Gap, Wheels Through Time and a great dinner pretty much filled my time at the event. They gave out $25.00 gas cards to over 600 riders and paid for everything else to boot. In this economy that's a pretty big deal. I don't know any other motorcycle manufactures that are putting on a free event for their owners like this, most are like Spyderfest and has factory support but not put on by the factory. I'm sure they would be better off putting the cash in their pocket and not put the effort that goes into pulling off an event like this. I hope they continue to do so but I wouldn't blame them if they decided it wasn't worth it nojoke

GloryRyders
01-14-2012, 08:56 AM
I haven't been to every owner's event so take that into consideration. But my feeling is the owner's event (so far anyway) has been so different every time it's hard to say what you're going to get for sure. I do think the Durango, CO venue this year has a lot of potential.

The Quebec and Maggie Valley events were great! I just couldn't bring myself to do the Chicago event but I'm looking forward to this years owner's meeting.

On the other hand, I don't know how Cowtown does it. I didn't think they could have a better event than the previous year, but they did. And I'll say it again this year. I don't know how they can top last year (though just having another Spyderfest as good as last year would be GREAT!).

But this year, even though I don't know how they will do it, I almost expect them to out-do even last years Spyderfest.

Gee, thanks for the comments Ron, but no pressure right:dontknow: :gaah:The MoGang just listens to everyones comments after the events and tries to incorperate them into the next year, plus we just plan things that we like to do. I will be attending the owners event this year for the first time and will be enjoying it no matter what is planned, just because I didn't have to help plan it.:D I'm really looking forward to ryding in Colorado.

BajaRon
01-14-2012, 10:06 AM
Gee, thanks for the comments Ron, but no pressure right:dontknow: :gaah:The MoGang just listens to everyones comments after the events and tries to incorperate them into the next year, plus we just plan things that we like to do. I will be attending the owners event this year for the first time and will be enjoying it no matter what is planned, just because I didn't have to help plan it.:D I'm really looking forward to ryding in Colorado.

I understand that Spyderfest cudos can't go to any one person, or even any single group. It's like a huge team, everyone has a part to play. But without the leadership and committment of Cowtown management and that core group, the rest of the team would have nowhere to perform.

Personally, I have a hard time imagining how you guys get up for this every year. I know it is a huge physical and emotional effort, my hat is off to you all for that. I've seen how you start planning for next year's Spyderfest while the current Spyderfest is still in progress. But if you'll notice, and I'm sure you do, the hype and promotion does not come from a fancy add campaign produced by Cowtown, it comes from the participants! You can't shut them up! (not that anyone's trying).

I agree with Lamont, BRP has put a lot of time, effort and expense into the owner's events. That was obvious from the first one in Valcourt, Canada. Their heart is certainly in the right place and there should be appreciation from us for that. We can either stand off to the side and throw stones for what we see as shortcomings, or we can team up with BRP, just as we have with Cowtown, and work to make each event better. Not just for us personally, but for eveyone involved. I think we need to see ourselves in this together, from the individual owner to dealerships to the corporate heads of BRP.

I understand that not everyone will play ball, but for the majority of us who do, we can see that things are going in the right direction. Maggie Vally and now Durango, CO... I'd say BRP is listening.

Complaints are fine, as long as they are backed up by support and willingness to be part of the solution. Spyder owners are as unique as the Spyder itself. If the owner's event isn't what you think it should be, pitch in and help to make it better. :thumbup:

Yazz
01-14-2012, 10:26 AM
IMHO, the best meet to go to, is the one you can get to.

I'm going to both and will keep an eye out for you. Looking forward to seeing you again!

dancogan
01-14-2012, 10:39 AM
Like Stevemac said we want to thank everyone for all the positive comments about Spyderfest, however Spyderfest is not just the results of LaMonster, Cowtown or the MoGang, it is possible because of each and every Spyderlover who has ever attended, all we do is try to supersize the events we do ourselves all year long and apply the ideas we pick up at Spyderfest and on Spyderlovers. The real reason Spyderfest is so good is because of the friendly group of people who attend and the interaction that takes place.

Agreed, with the MO Gang setting a great example! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

SDM
01-14-2012, 10:47 AM
Spyderfest. Unable to make it this year but the other half (Tobor 9) and I will be going next year. It should make for a great 30th anniversary present to ourselves!! Beats the hell out of a cruise!!!:yes:

Ga Blue Knight
01-14-2012, 11:10 AM
Lamont don't get me wrong. I was not complaining but trying to point out that activities at the area that the BRP event are in, while an important part of the experience, should not the only draw. Let me explain, In going to Maggie Valley last year I was hoping for some of the following activities that I had experienced with other brand related events, things like workshops on maintenance, talks from the manufacturer on what is being planned for the future, Venders, a large stock on hand of catalog items from the manufacturer if no venders, test drives of RT's and RS's, a rally tee shirt for sale, talks by high milage riders abut their challenges, etc. I know it's great that BRP had a lot of free stuff and I really do appreciate their efforts to date.

kinggeek
01-14-2012, 11:22 AM
Wow, I see where you get your handle. I don't get where you say there was nothing to do or see. It was all about the great riding, what else did you want to do or see? I think the only big complaint I heard was there were no vendors and I would agree with that but the bike show, Deals Gap, Wheels Through Time and a great dinner pretty much filled my time at the event. They gave out $25.00 gas cards to over 600 riders and paid for everything else to boot. In this economy that's a pretty big deal. I don't know any other motorcycle manufactures that are putting on a free event for their owners like this, most are like Spyderfest and has factory support but not put on by the factory. I'm sure they would be better off putting the cash in their pocket and not put the effort that goes into pulling off an event like this. I hope they continue to do so but I wouldn't blame them if they decided it wasn't worth it nojoke

I hope you are wrong in your last statement!

Some of the responses to the initial question are indeed a bit strong but Syderlovers are a passionate bunch :yes: and these responses do answer the question.

I personally think there is a need for the BRP sponsored Spyder Owners Event, Spyderfest and more. This year I am attending both and plan to do so as long as I am able to do so.

We all love our Spyders and love riding so the more the merrier. :D

waytootall67
01-14-2012, 07:27 PM
IMHO, the best meet to go to, is the one you can get to.

I'm going to both and will keep an eye out for you. Looking forward to seeing you again!

At 6'8" it wont be hard to keep a eye out for me :yikes:, besides your the only one I know there so you will have to introduce me to all the cool kids :yes: