PDA

View Full Version : Who or what inspired you

Mo Lee
01-13-2012, 06:15 AM
Seeing this thread, and not wanting to steal it I will start a new topic.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?35584-DO-YOU-KNOW-THIS-COUPLE

(http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?35584-DO-YOU-KNOW-THIS-COUPLE)I am sure there is a lot of stories out there just like it, that being said and since it is too cold and slick for a lot of us to ride. I think it would be interesting to read how or who inspired everyone into the Spyder world and most importantly how you found Spyderlovers.
Myself the first one I remember seeing was LaMonsters, posted on the Valkyrie Forum by some of his buddies from his Valk days. This is also where I learned about Spyderlovers. As for what made me take the plunge, it had to be my Wife with a little help from Len at Cowtown.

bitsy224m
01-13-2012, 06:30 AM
I AM THE ONE THAT STARTED THE THREAD ...DO YOU KNOW THIS COUPLE.....AND THE COUPLE THAT I AM LOOKING FOR INSPIRED ME TO LOOK INTO GETTING A SPYDER.....THEY HAD PURCHASED THE RT AND WHEN THEY WENT TO A RALLY OR SOME KIND OF EVENT SHE SAID SHE SAW WOMEN RIDING THEIR OWN SPYDERS SO SHE BOUGHT HER RS.....THAT INSPIRED ME AND NOW I HAVE A WHITE LIMITED RT 2011....AND LOVE IT...THEY ARE THE ONES THAT TOLD ME ABOUT SPYDERLOVERS.....THANKS TO LAMONT.....I THINK HE KNOWS EVERYBODY....AND SOME GUY I THINK I HAVE FOUND THEM BUT SO FAR NO ANSWER TO MY MESSAGE TO BOTH OF THEM.....SPYDERWOMAN AND OWENS9FINGERS.....I HOPE TO RUN INTO THEM SOMETIME AGAIN....VERY NICE PEEPS......:ohyea:

Yol Bolsun
01-13-2012, 07:01 AM
Why, twas SWMBO (aka: sewnonnie (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/member.php?6968-sewnonnie)). We were watching TV one evening, I with my laptop on my (yep, lap) and SWMBO beside me, (really watching TV). Of a sudden, she exclaimed, "That looks like fun!" and sprang from her recliner. As I looked up and noted the end of a 'Spyder Commercial', she was at her PC and Googling Can-Am Spyder. After looking at several sites, I posed her... would YOU drive this? Her answer was yes!

The next day, we were at the local dealership and fell in love with the Spyder. We stalled the dealership, (we had a trip to Okinawa to visit our grandchildren). First day back from Oki, I visited the dealership (Mountain Motorsports (http://www.mtn-motorsportsga.com/)), and had to wait while they brought in a Blue RT SE5 (A&C) from Tennessee. While awaiting that arrival, I found SpyderLovers (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/forums.php). Downhill from there.

dannymax
01-13-2012, 07:04 AM
Advancing knee issues had me thinking about hanging up 2-wheel riding for awhile but when my V Max toppled over on me (in the driveway) because my knees just wouldn't react properly I began to give some serious thought to some kind of change. Having been on motorcycles since I was 14 (over 50 years) I was resistant to change....thinking it was maybe the V Max, I traded for an FJR1300 which was a little easier to drive but of course, didn't do anything for the knee situation. I looked into 'trike-ing' either the remaining V Max or the FJR but determined that would be a really bad idea on a high perf motorcycle....not being a fan of the big production trikes like the Gold Wing or Harley, the Spyder became the next logical choice. Just so happened that there was a used '09 SM5 with only 3K mi. for sale locally, I hooked up with the guy, took it for a short ride and was completely hooked! :2thumbs:

Finally, a machine that I can just get on and ride, no modifications, just ride!! Well, maybe a Hindle pipe, Givi W/W, some highway pegs....maybe improve the handling a little....gee, it wouldn't be difficult to put nitrous on one of these.......who was I kidding!

How did I find Spyderlovers.com?.....Why, Coz the recruiter.....of course!!:ohyea:

owens9fingers
01-13-2012, 08:07 AM
I AM THE ONE THAT STARTED THE THREAD ...DO YOU KNOW THIS COUPLE.....AND THE COUPLE THAT I AM LOOKING FOR INSPIRED ME TO LOOK INTO GETTING A SPYDER.....THEY HAD PURCHASED THE RT AND WHEN THEY WENT TO A RALLY OR SOME KIND OF EVENT SHE SAID SHE SAW WOMEN RIDING THEIR OWN SPYDERS SO SHE BOUGHT HER RS.....THAT INSPIRED ME AND NOW I HAVE A WHITE LIMITED RT 2011....AND LOVE IT...THEY ARE THE ONES THAT TOLD ME ABOUT SPYDERLOVERS.....THANKS TO LAMONT.....I THINK HE KNOWS EVERYBODY....AND SOME GUY I THINK I HAVE FOUND THEM BUT SO FAR NO ANSWER TO MY MESSAGE TO BOTH OF THEM.....SPYDERWOMAN AND OWENS9FINGERS.....I HOPE TO RUN INTO THEM SOMETIME AGAIN....VERY NICE PEEPS......:ohyea:

I'm sorry I havn't been keeping up with the posts, but I"m on it now! Yup..... we're the ones, and we're sure glad you got into the "Spyder Family"....... and "Spyderlovers" !! We've met a lot of nice people since we got our Spyders, and it's always great to here of someone else that has joined in! It was the other riders who inspired "Spiderwoman" and I to jump in, and if we had a hand in your decision...... that's GREAT !
I sent you a PM...... Thanks for the kind words, and hope to see you at "Spyderfest" in Cuba !!:ohyea:

MarkLawson
01-13-2012, 08:15 AM
Several years ago my wife decided to take a basic rider's class and get her motorcycle endorsement. We then got her a new Honda Silverwing ABS because it was easy to ride & she didn't want to mess with having to shift gears. It would also be able to run the highways behind my Goldwing. After a year and only 262 miles, half of which were mine, she told me she wanted to sell the scooter (Yes!) & get a trike (Noooo!).

Well, I had just read Fred Rau's first column in MCN about the Spyder three days earlier. I had never heard of or seen one. On his recommendation, I suggested we look at a Spyder instead of a traditional trike. A day or two later, we had bought a new '08 GS manual shift. I told her that once she got used to shifting, it would no longer be an issue, which was right.

I began working on it to install mods to make it more comfortable (handlebar risers, Utopia backrest, highway pegs, etc) & safer (front fender mud flap lights, J&M CB) and easier to operate (MC Cruise motorcycle cruise control). Of course, I found it a ton of fun to ride, although I couldn't get comfortable on that saddle. I told her that if I could figure out how to get comfortable, I could see me riding one in a couple of years. This was June of '09. In September, BRP announce the RT. I ordered one with trailer within a week or two & took delivery the first week of January 2010.

Having been a member of a number of Goldwing forums, including www.gl1800riders.com (http://www.gl1800riders.com) (Lamont's Goldwing forum), it didn't take much hunting to find the premiere Spyder forum of them all, & here I am.

rogerb
01-13-2012, 08:34 AM
A broken ankle and then an article about it in Rider Magazine by Clement Salvadory. He compared the Spyder to other trikes. But what helped me make up my mind was his comment It steers better with less push on the handlebars while turning corners. That sent me to a Spyder dealer. Finding Spyderlovers was by Googling for a hand brake for the Spyder due to broken right ankle. No regrets on either. Both changed my life and loving it. Only regret didn't happen sooner. Could of skipped the ankle part. :thumbup:

flamingobabe
01-13-2012, 08:59 AM
well, I'm about the same as MoLee.....heard about the Spyder from Lamonster....but never dreamed I would own one.....I have a bum hand and just assummed I would never ride.....then one day in May of 2010...my husband, hotglue was off shore and I was looking at Valkyries on Craigs list and ebay...bored I started looking up Spyders....found one just 10 minutes from the house....called the guy, but he couldn't see me until Sunday afternoon...hotglue would be home then...we went...we bought...and the rest is history...thank you Lamonster

zrc
01-13-2012, 09:19 AM
I have been following Spyders since they were a concept and always thought they were the thing to ride since I walked off my 2 wheels and sold them due to abuse from the ex. After she became the ex, I worked for almost a year before I was reminded about spyders by a commerical on ESPN. I started my searching immediately.

Basically I showed up here (thanks google), started talking to people, and got a used RS and wham bam, now I have found a new place to act like an idiot, which I seem to excel at.

BlueKnight
01-13-2012, 09:30 AM
Well I saw the Spyder RS when it first came out, but even though it looked cool I wasn't really interested in buying one because it was more of a sport bike and I am more of a "bagger" person. Then one day I was searching the internet for something (don't remember what) when I came across the ad showing the RT and I said "I WANT IT", so I preceded to get the process rolling.
First I had to sell my one year old Kawasaki Voyager 1700 after about two months of trying to sell it, A gentlemen from Texas drove up to New York to buy it :ohyea:. Have you ever tried to drive a full dresser up on the back of a pick up truck :banghead: I will never try that again.

Next was the worst part of the whole ordeal, which model RT ;), after picking the Limited, I went to the credit union and the rest is history.

Pennyrick
01-13-2012, 09:36 AM
Back in the 2009 I was riding a Yamaha 650 Classic but I really wanted something that would be a bit more comfortable when touring with my wife when she was riding her Burgman 400. I really wanted a Valkyrie and found a pristine '99 Interstate model at World of Wheels in Marietta, Georgia. We drove to Marietta one day and I ended up buying the Valk with less than 8,000 miles on it.
While I was negotiating the price my wife wandered the showroom and found a early model Spyder GS and thought it was pretty neat. The salesperson told her that they also made a touring model with power steering. That got my wife interested because of her one bad arm that hindered her on conventional bikes.
A week later we visited a dealer in Lawrenceville where she took a test ride on a new RT but it wasn't a color she liked.
The following week we found a 2010 Orbital Blue RT SE in Gainesville, Georgia with less than 1,000 miles on it that had been reposessed by the bank. That replaced the Burgman and the rest is history. She is now on her second RT, The Lava Bronze.
I loved the Valk but her Spyder was easier to ride due to my bad hip. Last year I acquired my RT SM.

lyonsden
01-13-2012, 09:40 AM
The person at fault for my addiction is my best friends wife. They ride a Harley and were at Bikes Blues and BBQs and went for a test ride on a Spyder.
They had always wanted us to get a bike and go on trips and the occasional afternoon ride with them. My better half was dead set against it. She is an
RN and had worked for several years in Intensive Care unit. She had seen a lot. Anyway the friend came home from BB&BBQs and told me about the Spyder.
I googled it and then me and my brother went to KC to look at them. I was interested. Better half didn't even want to talk about it. I waited till the
2011 RTs came out and finally talked her into going and looking at one with me.(took along best friend and wife for moral support). I rode it, I loved it,
she tolerated it, and we bought it. :yes:She said she was not riding it! If I wanted to that was fine.:( After a ride around the block she decided she wanted to
go a little farther. Last October we rode to Missouri with best friend, his wife and another couple and visited the winery's and did some ziplining. Great Time!!
I heard her tell her sister it was a BLAST!! Then she said "but I probably could have had just as good of time in a car". She's coming around I think.
(Now I want a trailer) I'm working on it. :thumbup: I found spyderlovers.com through google looking for any informtion available.

docdoru
01-13-2012, 09:43 AM
When VW GX3 cancelled the US production I moved to Spyder RS 2008:
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/th_gx3.jpg

NancysToy
01-13-2012, 09:49 AM
I suppose I have to blame my wife. We had been looking for several years to find a street ride for Nancy that would suit her novice status and her 5'1" height, yet allow her to keep up with me out on the road. One day I accidentally happened across a picture of the Spyder in an article about three-wheelers such as the Morgan Tri-Car. Nancy insisted on seeing one that day! The next week, she saw a yellow one and put down her deposit. Soon a PE Spyder was hers. I swiped it as often as I could, and when the RT came out she said "Why don't you get one of those?" As a result, I am spoiled rotten, and my BMW languishes. I suppose the real inspration is the Spyder itself. These things are addictive! Best ride I have ever owned...bar none!

boborgera
01-13-2012, 10:36 AM
07 Was a bad winter for my VTX 1800, Too much down time because of too much snow.
April 08 I was kicking tires at my dealer, And there was this 3 wheeler siting there looking lonely so i bought it on the spot, So this way i could ride most days though the winter.

BajaRon
01-13-2012, 10:48 AM
My story is simple.

June 2007 - Lamont says 'You need to buy one of these'.

June 2007 - (2 days later) I put my 1K down on a Spyder.

January 2008 - Full Moon Spyder shows up at Tampa Bay dealership (yes, Florida!)

January 31 - I have a brand new Spyder.

I've always done whatever Lamont tells me to do... This was the 1st time he was right! :roflblack:

SteveMac
01-13-2012, 10:54 AM
I was inspired by my marriage and an empty nest.

The Spyder has helped put my wife and I on a common interest path. Before this, we tried playing golf together. I loved it. She hated it. So, we spent alot of time apart due to work, and then since our interests didn't converge, we spent a lot of time apart outside of work too. We had also spent over four years taking care of three ailing parents and lost all three in that time frame. And our son had left for college, so the buffer was gone. Not a good recipe.

So, we bought the Spyder (which I had my eye on for a couple of years) and we decided to scrap our non-common interests and do something together.

Best decision we ever made. :firstplace:

We got back on track doing something together that we both enjoy. I found SpyderLovers, then we went to SpyderFest. Met the MoGang and found some great friends and I can say we had more fun together last year than in the previous 25 years. Along the way, we also met and made friends in Illinois, Tennessee, Kentucky, Alabama, Florida, and on and on!

So, I guess you could say the Spyder is good marriage counseling! :2thumbs:

AndyIsRiding
01-13-2012, 10:57 AM
It's my wifes' fault.:yes:

We had been talking for years about buying a cruiser and touring around, east to west, etc.
I had scaled down to a KLR to just drive around in the area.
I was looking at the new Yamaha, but it was not available yet.
Then looked at the Kaw Concours and some BMW models.
We were watching TV and a Spyder RT commercial came on, the boss goes, "get one of those":2thumbs:
Next weekend we went shopping and got one.
We put 15000km on it last year, and hope to do better this year.:ohyea:

spyder3
01-13-2012, 10:58 AM
#1. Watched a commercial on TV
#2. Run down to computer to research
#3. Found this site
#4. Looked for a local dealer(tons of frustration):gaah:
#5. Expressed my frustration on this site:banghead:
#6. Len from cowtown :bowdown:
#7. It was all over but the spending :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:
#8. The spending continues:banghead:
#9. So does the fun

I blame most of you and of course Len!

REDSPY
01-13-2012, 11:23 AM
Tomorrow will mark exactly one year that I saw and sat on the Spyder RT at the Wash DC Motorcycle show. When I got home with all the pictures that I took on my iPhone, my wife said this is exactly what she would enjoy to ride. Local dealership was having a 3 wheel appreciation day the following Saturday that we both attended and my wife signed up the first Spyder motorcycle course to be offered in the DC area. That’s all it took to begin looking for the right deal and we purchased our Red RTS in April. It was ready to be picked up the weekend of Spyderfest 11 but decided to push off delivery to go by way of plane and rental car Spyderfest. So glad we went to Spyderfest as we got to meet all the other Spyderlovers, buy lots of goodies, like floorboards, hand brake, air wings, sat on Lamont’s Corbin seat, tested out Ticket Bait’s Corbin arms rests which lead to the Corbin order when we got home. Also won the Old Ridge Boys guitar as a prize to boot. (which now hangs in my man cave in a glass case) I’m still trying to learn how to play.

All I can say is my Goldwing does not get attention now we have the Spyder and I feel real sorry of my Valkyrie sitting next the Goldwing. My wife still would rather be the passenger, but feels good that she could take over the driver’s position at any time. We went on a 3000 mile trip throughout New England this past fall on the Spyder where it really hit us on how comfortable we were and felt so much safer on 3 wheels than we ever felt on the Goldwing. Still trying to work our schedules to get to Spyderfest this year and will have to wait and see. Off to the DC Motorcycle show tomorrow with orders not to bring home anymore pictures.

Questions
01-13-2012, 11:51 AM
Hardley started getting top heavy in parking lots, huh? Maybe drugs that go with a couple coronary stents? Search was on for trikes(I'm thinking Gold Wing or Harley) on cycletrader.com, saw SpYder, found dealer, did test ride, bought SpYder, happy ever after - well 30k mi so far. When they put a bigger engine in RT I'll buy one of those also!!

Can't remember which of many, many searches brought me to spyderlovers.com, but I feel lucky to have found such an extensive knowledge base and what a great bunch of people you are. I look forward to meeting many of you in colorado.

jvicker
01-13-2012, 12:12 PM
First it was the Today Show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S82K3pFCoc

Then it was this guy showing off his spyder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL1-RizjFlA

murphybrown
01-13-2012, 12:34 PM
At age 70 was looking over my bucket list...on there was a motorcycle and tattoo...said wow can do tattoo while I think thru if I want to leave motorcycle on list....knew 2 wheels would get me killed and quickly. I had only in my first 70 years been a passenger on motorcycle. First trip no rain gear..5 hr. ryde...dang near froze to death...Second ride..driver laid it over in the gravel...third ride must have been good 'cause I don't remember anything about it...all of that occurred before age 40...
The idea of a 3 wheeler came up so went to next town (40 mi) that had a HD dealership...of course with my no experience the salesperson (wise man he was!!!) would only take me for a ride...asked me what I wanted to do with this just drive grandkids around town? Said HECK no..I'm going to run the wheels off of it...so he took me out to the dam's parking lot...gave me a quick lesson (ha..killed the sucker about 15 times before I could shift and that was not anything to brag about :yikes:)..he asked me what I wanted from the trike...told him stability...he said don't tell my boss but go check out those front wheel trikes...he didn't have a name just said dealer might be hard to find...so I come home about same time friends drive in and say "well did you buy your HD"...told them the start of my story and they said hey we saw this front wheel thingy!!!! Since I like to live life on the edge...I say to self...ah ha, 2 people same day talking about this front wheel thingy (oh yea the husband had said you buy I'll bring it home and teach you to ride--he was a dedicated 2 wheeler)....so decide how to find...ah my "friend" the internet...find Can-Am Spyder...decide right then I want and I want NOW and it must be silver...find dealer in Spokane...does not have, can't find...same with dealer in Enumclaw...find 4 dealers on internet with what I want..CA, IL, NY, FL...I love to deal...IL liked to deal...we made deal...I call friend and say was your husband serious..she said oh my God Karyl what have you done...I said tell him to pack his bags..I just next day'd a check to IL...

As a side note I did not tell or ask my adult children's opinions...I knew what they would be on the Spyder and tat: HELL NO...what are you thinking???? Whole other story for another time about their reaction when they saw Ms Spyder and the tat!!!!! And I raised 'em to be live life to the fullest kind of people...they just didn't want MOM doing such wild and crazy stuff....but I gave them the option of encouraging my sitting on Ms Spyder or I could sit on their couch!!!! Didn't take long for Ms Spyder to get the go ahead Mom nod...:thumbup:

Spyderlovers...I don't know some type of google search brought me here and you awesome folks have been my absolute reason that I am so totally in love with and addicted to Ms Spyder ryding...I am soooo non motorcycle, non mechanical ...thank you thank you.

joe schmoe
01-13-2012, 12:46 PM
Speaking for my wife, as she is the Spyder owner in our house...I still ride my Victory Vision.

After surviving three (3) different types of cancer in 7 years (Thank you Lord :pray:), having done, chemo/radiation for two cancers and chemo for the other. Betty Boop was to weak to keep up her motorcycle and ride it safely. We had seen Spyders out while she was riding with me (2 up). We talked to a buddy who had a "normal" trike and told us about the pros and cons of riding a trike.

The day Betty Boop sold her HD Nightster; she said "lets go look at those 3 wheel things"...I said "those things called Spyders", she said "Yes"...So off we went...Looked at one at a local dealer, they had a Red RT-S sitting in the parking lot when we pulled up and she fell in love with the color...She did a 360 in the dealers parking lot (that's all they would let her do)...I Google'd Spyders and found "SpyderLovers.com" and started researching...Within 2 months we found a Red RT-S at Cowtown, talked to Len a few times and then it was a road trip to Cuba, MO. After 2 days in Cuba. MO. and riding around and then back home (600 miles by the way) she now loves her Spyder and rides it every chance she gets except when it's cold...

Thanks Len and Lamont!!! Betty Boop is a happy camper on her Spyder!!! :yes::yes::yes:

chickridin
01-13-2012, 12:59 PM
Truthfully..I first saw the Spyder at a Motorcycle Rally, back in 09 I believe it was, just after they came out. Don't remember who it was, either Can-Am or a dealer, was there demoing them. I hated it!! I thought they were the most hidious thing I'd seen in years. I even told hubby, "you couldn't give me one of those." :gaah: Then they left my mind until...........

For some unexplained reason, I'm not sure what happened, but I started thinking about them again, thinking "they're not so bad after all." In 2009 I decided to take the MS Class and get my motorcycle endorsement....which I did, even though I did not have a motorcycle. Due to my health issues, RA and FMS, hubby was against me getting my own bike, so I continued to ride with him on our HD (which I still love). He started warming up to the idea of me riding and in 2010 he started looking at motorcycles with me. I bought a 2006 Honda Shadow....it was a beautiful bike too. It didn't get much attention though...he hadn't warmed up enough I guess. In comes the Spyder.......:spyder:

I started talking about how nice it would be to have a trike. Hubby and I talked about maybe getting an HD Trike but, after taking one for a test ride, we quickly changed our minds. I started talking about the Spyder again. :shocked: Rest of the story..........

This past summer we went to a HD dealer that we visit sometimes that has another shop down the road from that that sells Hondas and other brands, including the Can-Am Spyder. It's the same dealer that I bought the Honda from! Hubby was thumbs up with me on 3 wheels so....I test rode one and bought it!
:cheers:

Yes, I love it! I wouldn't trade it for anything! I didn't get a lot of riding in this summer but I'm going to kick butt in the spring!!! :yes:

WackyDan
01-13-2012, 01:42 PM
My old kindergarden and neighborhood buddy Alex and I would often talk about our past bikes. In September of 2008 I was talking to him about buying something more civilized... Was looking at FJR 1300's, BMWs, etc.. Knew I wanted to get something designed for touring.

He told me about the Spyder, and reminded me to look it up... so I did. I was intrigued. I love weird stuff, and the Spyder was so different than anything else I'd seen. I started researching them... Visiting some dealers to look at them and sit on them... Put off a test ride. Finally in March of 09, I test rode one after seeing one at the dealer with full side and top Givis and a touring shield.

Needless to say, I took delivery of my new in box 08 at the very end of April 09.

I'd probably be on two wheels still if not for Alex.

ARtraveler
01-13-2012, 01:56 PM
As an avid reader of 3 different MC magazaines at the time, I saw a blurb about the new Spyder in a fall issue. It was yellow. I read the piece and determined I had to have one of them

I went to my dealer and was told--they were going to be rationed out and that there would be availability limited to a select few states. Alaska was not one of them.

My dealer is one of the SkiDoo retailers that sells the most in the US--so I guess he had some pull when it came to Spyders.

I put down a $1000.00 deposit in December of 2007. In June of 2008, the first Spyders came to AK. I got the second one--guess who got the first? Full moon and beautiful she was. PS, I was not gouged on price either.

My first summer was spent answering questions to everyone, everywhere I went.

Arr MiHardies
01-13-2012, 02:35 PM
I guess motorcycling is in my blood. my dad used to ride. In fact, tomorrow marks the thirtieth anniversary of his death in a motorcycle accident. Poorly done road construction cones led him into oncoming traffic. Always kind wanted to ride, but didn't want to upset my mom. Saw the RS when they first came out and liked it, but couldn't afford it. A year later I took the motorcycle safety course and got my license, intending to buy a Spyder that I still couldn't afford (my mother was very upset when she found out I wanted to ride). Almost bought a yamaha cruiser that winter. All i had to do was sign the paper and the deal was done. My instincts we screaming at me not to do it. So we walked out of the dealership. A month later we find out that the escrow on our house was caluclated using one a quarter of a year. So in addition to having to pay a years worth of escrow shortage, our mortgage was going to go up significantly. Would have had to sell the bike (i love my instincts). Rented a victory vegas 8 ball. Loved the bike, but could not get comfortable on two wheels. A few years went by with me popping into the same dealer for the occasional test drive or just to sit and dream. Dealer was always great to me, and i felt immensely safer on the spyder than i ever did on the two wheelers. Between my not being able to afford it, and basically watching my son alone due to different work schedules with my wife, I had given up on ever being able to ride. I figured I'd either never have the time or money. Not for fifteen years at least till my son moved out anyways. After I released a program on the apple app store that does fairly well, and paying off my credit card debit,I found I had the money. My son was 7, growing more independent and his new ADHD medicine was really working. One night my wife and I went on one of our rare dates to a local BBQ place. Spent half an hour trying to find parking. After eating, we left, and saw a parking section right up front just for bikes. My wife said if we had a bike we could have parked there. That got me doing something I hadn't done in well almost 2 years... Thinking about bikes.... I had money, and a son that required much less constant supervision. Went back to the dealer and found the RTs had come out. Still was aiming for an RS mainly due to the lower price. But my wife and I decided my son would probably be fine riding with me (assuming we had a seat back), but my wife would feel more comfortable with him riding the rt. I went back and forth several times between going for it and not. Eventually figured out how I could handle it financially without wiping out my savings. Got approved for the loan at my credit union and bought my RT. didn't tell my mom for almost a week. She wasn't happy, but accepted I needed to live my life and that she couldn't stop me. After actually seeing the bike, she actually warmed up to it quite a bit. Didn't want to do much more lights on my Ike than halos and maybe wheel lights. But I keep finding more and more ways to mod my bike at doesn't make it too flash or gaudy ( I hate chrome, and usually dislike directly visible led lights). Got a rather sizable order in with Reggy right now I hope to be installing next week.

Jesse
01-13-2012, 03:54 PM
I saw one in the parking lot of Cabela's April 2011. It was the first one I saw standing still. I like the look of this machine and just had to have one. Went home looked on craiglist found a 2008 GS/RS with 1200 miles on it and bought it two days later. No regrets. Now thinking about keeping the RS and buying an RT for a more comfortable two up riding with the wife.

Did some searching on the net and found a couple of forums. It did not take long to figure out that SPYDERLOVERS was the place to be. I don't post much but feel I know many of you through reading all your posts and the wealth of information on this site is priceless. Thanks to all of you!

Clicker1944
01-13-2012, 05:17 PM
Who says advertising doesn't work.
Saw an ad for the :spyder2:on tv and fell in love. That was April 2010. Went looking for a 2009 leftover and got a great deal on a black & silver RS (GS) SE5. Had it since 4/15/2010 and love it.

Did a little searching on the computer and found 3 Spyder forums. This one is light years ahead of the others.:2thumbs:

Derk
01-13-2012, 06:16 PM
I had never owned or ridden a motorcycle before, but then I saw a Spyder in a grocery store parking lot. I waited until the owner came out,asked him all the questions we now get asked ourselves and fell in love with the saftey concept and looks. I went to a HD dealership and took my endorsement, and went to DMV for written test. I then went to a Spyder dealership in N.C., took a test ride to see if I liked SE5 or SM5 better, and purchased a 2010 RT-SM5. I put a few thousand miles on it and then took off for cross country trip to Washington State, 10,604 miles. I've never had so much fun and met so many nice people. I'm looking forward to meeting everybody at the Spyderfest in Cuba this April. This summer I'll be doing a trip across Canada and hope to meet more Spyder riders along the way. Safe riding to all.

Boriken
01-13-2012, 07:29 PM
A couple of years prior to retiring from police work and approaching empty nest status (2002) I purchased a Honda Rebel 250 and learned to ride on it. When I attempted to move up to a larger bike (my son's HD) I found out that my bad knees gave me problems holding the bike up so I got me a 1983 Goldwing Interstate with a Voyager kit and dicided that was the way I wanted to go.

While looking around for triked out bikes I became aware that the prices that I could afford would only put me on a used trike. While checking out trikes on E-Bay in 2009 I came upon the Spyder and fell in love with the "Roadster". After several months of research, reading Spiderlovers forums I pulled the trigger and purchased a new '09 Phantom thru the Internet from a dealer in Minnesota. At the time I had never seen one in person, my first ryde on one was at the Wildwood, NJ "Roar to the Shore" three weeks prior to having mine dlivered to my house.

DynamoBT
01-13-2012, 07:57 PM
I've had the yearn to ride for a long time. My husband was against it for years. After my career with horses was over, I was really missing some adventure in my life. So, signed up for the MSF Beginner Rider class. Got a Honda Nighthawk. Everything was going well enough but I was feeling that my skills on two wheels should have been progressing more. I moved to a bigger bike BMW F650 GS single. That was nice but showed upa weakness I had in my left leg from a spinal injury. Needless to say, the first time I heard about the Spyder I knew I wanted one. Took me a year to convince myself, and sell my bikes. Found SpyderLovers about the same time I took a BRP Demo Ryde. One ryde was all it took. I could RYDE this thing!!!!!! Looked for a used one while bargaining with local dealers over new. Found my '08 SM5 RS and have been happy ever since. Most of my ryding is two up with hubby on the back. The Spyder has become our new joint activity in retirement. It really is a wonderful thing!! We just love going out on the roads together. My only wish is we could travel more. But we have a dog at home who wouldn't kennel well. We generally have someone live in our house with him. But, one day I hope to do longer rydes. I may be 60 but feel I have years and years left ryding the Spyder. My only regret is that BRP didn't invent it sooner!!

Firefly
01-13-2012, 08:14 PM
Some really great stories ----- mine's pretty boring....

In late 2005 or 2006 I saw a quick write-up on the Spyder in Popular Science-- think it was in their 'what's new' section. Went to the website and read what very little they had to say about it at that time... but signed a thing that said "If they have a demo in your area, would you be interested, yada yada...."

A year goes by and I never really gave it another thought.... then I get an email in 2007 saying they had demo rides in Kalamazoo, MI..... So I confirmed it and called a buddy and said-- hey-- let's go check out these goofy bikes.

We went. Both rode prototypes.. went really fast..... buddy left... I stayed longer.... dropped down a $2,000 deposit..... then waited 10 months to get the thing in March of 2008.

Still trying to find that Popular Science issue with the article in it.........

mowin
01-13-2012, 08:32 PM
Always wanted a MC when I was younger, but new I would get in alot of trouble, or worse. 30 some yrs later, and after spending a LOT of money to make money( worked some of the time), I wanted something that didnt involve work. I could have purchased another peice of equipment, to try to make money, but that would have involved more hrs at work. I wanted something to have fun with, that didnt involve work. Not that runing a skidsteer isnt fun. There is a dealer about 15mi from me that I buy a lot of equipment from that is also a Can-Am dealer. I went there to look at a skidsteer, and looked at a spyder instead. After pleading with the wife:pray:, and since the spyder was 1/3 the cost of the skid:yikes:,
she approved.:2thumbs:

While the dealer was preping the bike, I went online and found a few spyder forums, and Spyderlovers is by far the best of em...

DragonLorD
01-13-2012, 09:10 PM
Always rode a bikes, loved choppers for comfort and size, loved sport bikes for performance.
Had a few chopps - all rice burners and very reliable, rode 600cc sport once and tipped it when stopping :gaah: - test ride went wrong and cost a lot so I stick with my chopps and rode like I stole it all the time. My buddies always used to say that there is no such a bike I would be 100 happy with. 2007 came across BRP web and kept watching their intro with yellow Spyder - "Y- factor" over and over again. That thing didn't let me sleep and I thought - Man this beast is going to be 50k but I must have it. It never left my mind since. In 2009 there was a Bike Show/expo which only happens every 2 years so I could not miss it. Walked around several times and see it all, cross bikes never had my attention but I was not in hurry so I went to see them too and there she was , hidden between goats, silver moon color. Spent there rest of the day, guy took my details that he'll call me when ready for test ride, no dealership set up, nothing. Went home with Spyder intensively in mind. Two days later got a phone call, meet me at such and such parking lot near Dublin, wow, it's happening, so off I went and couldn't even ride it because of insurance ect, went as a pillion. Loved it. This guy was only an agent of UK Dealership. They've got a great interest but since there was no Dealership in country, no one gave a credits nor loans for purchases, next thing recession hits the field and game was over before it started. I still managed to get my Spyder, paid cash on the spot, got her in red/black + all the extras available and waited 5 longest months for delivery. June 2009 I rode my Spyder first time and that grin it did to my face is still there ever since. Love my RS to bits and won't go back to two wheels full time.

ronv
01-13-2012, 10:02 PM
Started riding in the mid 60's. A couple of years later met x-wife, couldn't afford both on a junior airman's pay. Bye to the bike....

Jump forward 40+ years. The urge to ride again has become overwhelming, but there are a couple of problems, need to have storage for oxygen tanks so I don't turn blue when walking around, and somewhen I had to have fingers on left hand partially amputated so clutch lever is going to be a problem. Looked, but couldn't find anything that I was comfortable with and that could solve my two little issues.

Sitting at a stoplight, the strangest looking yellow thing I've goes by, did some research and found out it was a Spyder. Had storage space and an electric paddle shifter. The rest is history, did a lot of looking, took delivery of a red 09 SE5 in Nov 09.

Wife an I went to Spyderfest last year and had a ball. Will go again this year also.

When will I get rid of Spyder? Oh, about 3 days after the plant me!

Ron

coz
01-13-2012, 10:15 PM
i saw the ads on tv and got very interested, then started to do the research, ended up here . if there wasn't spyderlovers, i don't think i could have learned enough about spyders to buy one. but i did, and i did. it's been a blast ever since:thumbup:

retread
01-13-2012, 11:02 PM
Started riding in 1954, had bikes most of my life, sometime in there, my back decided to retire, got to the point I had trouble getting the Virago on the center stand. Then I saw a write up in Cycle World, two guys on a weird looking backwards trike, forgot about the Ural side hack, went to Michigan to try one out, then had to go to a different dealer to buy one, no dealer in Indiana in early '08. Looking forward to an RT soon.

john

Squadcarman
01-13-2012, 11:44 PM
I used to ride back in the 70's and 80's. I got married, sold the bike, raised a family. Recently I was having some serious issues with my heart. After getting my problem under control, and realizing how precious life is, I decided I wanted to ride again. My wife is my best friend and companion, but she would not ride with me on 2wheels. I took her to a local Can Am dealer and had her sit on a RT. The salesman at the dealership turned out to be a guy I worked with 20 years earlier. He let me take her for a ride, and the rest as they say is history. After seeing a few other riders around, I started surfing the net for owners groups. I joined a few other forums before joining Spyderlovers. This group is by far the most informative, funny and caring group of all of the forums I have visited. Lamonster should be commended for the way he has structured and organized this group. I am glad to be a "Spyderlover".:bowdown::firstplace:

Fonz
01-13-2012, 11:49 PM
Started seeing the commercial over and over again. Started researching the Spyder on the internet. Still heard the theme song over & over again, now it,s in my head. The theme is on my top ten list of hits. Now I'm having problems sleeping and concentrating, cause all I can think about now is a Spyder. Found the nearest dealer, and lo and behold, I found out that I have good credit. Well thats all she wrote. Picked
up my RT in May, and I finally found at the age of 62, something that I really love to do. So I'm retiring and I'm going Spydering full time

mxemt35
01-14-2012, 12:17 AM
I rode one when they first came out loved it knew it would be my next bike BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT in 2008 during the big Ice storm we had in NH if any of you remember that one I got in a bad accident hit a tree head on spent two years getten better. I knew I could not ride two wheels any more due to balance problems but as I got better I decided i needed to ride again sold the old vstar and bought my black spyder.:thumbup:

pro10is
01-14-2012, 12:40 AM
I had sold my last motorcycle a year earlier and thought I was done with them, too many close calls. I'd returned to boating which I'd always enjoyed. My boat developed a problem so I took it to a BRP dealer in NY. He had about 8 Spyders in his showroom. I'd never seen one up close before and was immediately fascinated with them. I returned home but couldn't get the thought of owning one out of my head. The following week I bought one. One of the most impulsive decisions of my life. Just had to have it. I've owned sports cars, motorcycles, boats, and snowmobiles but the Spyder beats them all.

Neez
01-14-2012, 03:30 AM
I went to the Vancouver Motorcycle Show with my riding buddies, as usual, but I was in a depressed mood. As I had recently had both knees replaced, my doctor (who knew my riding habits only too well), advised against riding any more two-wheelers, lest I drop one. So none of the pretty new bikes were for me. But then, I rounded a corner and spotted a pretty yellow machine with a stable 3 wheeled stance. The demonstrator told me to go ahead and throw a leg over the saddle. I did, and I happily ryde that very Spyder to this day.

GloryRyders
01-14-2012, 09:14 AM
I can blame my wife Linda for this:D Back in 2009 Cowtown had some placed in various malls in the St. Louis area and she saw one of them. We had been looking at Goldwing trykes but when she saw the Spyder she fell in love.:pray: Well one thing lead to another and we happened to be passing thru Cuba one Saturday and decided to stop and take a look and the rest is history. Of course my arms are a little longer and misshapened from all the armtwisting she did but we called it my "retirement present" and here we are today with our second one.:roflblack:

SpyderLady
01-14-2012, 09:38 AM
My love of motorcycles goes back more than 50 years. I grew up helping my Dad put motorcycles together that he had brought home in bushel baskets and riding behind him. I did not get my first motorcycle until I was in my mid 50’s. I have ridden to Sturgis 2 times on my Harley, won High Female Miler of the Year with my Harley club by going over 21,xxx miles in one year and been to many places. While my Dad passed away before I was able to have my own Harley I know he was always with me.
All of that had to end in 2008 when I had back surgery to fuse several discs due to degenerative disc disease. The doctors told me that due to lack of mobility I should not be riding and they were correct. I can no longer turn in the torso to easily see in back of me, etc. With great difficulty I sold my ’05 Harley Davidson Softtail Deluxe (did I mention my Deluxe was considered the Nostalgia bike and was a duplicate of the last bike my Dad owned). I cannot describe how much this impacted me. I lost a lot of my Harley family and now had nothing to do with my week-ends and evenings.
In 2009 I flew to Sturgis for Bike Week to ride behind some of my Harley friends. One of them worked at a Harley dealer that also sold Spyders. He told me BRP had a demo van in Sturgis and he believed I might be able to ride again. Soooo one of the guys (Hawk) went with me to test drive the Spyder. He put it through the paces and I was busy making sure I could ride safely for me and for others. The rest is history. As a result of my demo ride I received many upgrades. These were all put to use. As soon as I flew home from Sturgis, I was at the dealer who had already been alerted to my coming. I wanted something different (I am a purple lover….. imagine that if you know me) and they had just had a custom paint job done. I asked to see it and it had ME written all over it. Deal done and sealed. I picked up the bike a week later.
I have found another family, MOGANG and my Spyder friends. I am so thankful BRP built the Spyder. I am back in the saddle with the sun and wind in my face. I love Spyders. As I write this I am waiting for my new RT Performance ride to be completed by Cowtown. Yes, it will be customized just for me and YES it will have purple on it!!

groundeffect
01-14-2012, 10:47 AM
For me, it wasn't one particular event or moment that drew me into ryding a spyder (or a motorcycle for that matter). It was a culmination of a number of things that made me want to ryde. The Spyder, for me, is the best to machine to achieve that goal - a machine that has good cargo space, can do two-up, three wheels, safety features (ABS, traction control, etc...). These things are great for year-round riding and a great machine as my only vehicle. :thumbup::thumbup:

SDM
01-14-2012, 11:11 AM
I have cousins in AL that have hd's and did hill climbing. I have always been clumsy (parents were on a 1st name basis with er dr's!) I had always wanted a trike (my version of training wheels!) Saw a Spyder on CSI Miami and thought it was the neatest thing I had ever seen. Unable to afford it - money tight as usual.:banghead: Got inheritance last year - able to pay off the house and the cars - what a relief:clap: Had been talking for the last couple of years about taking the motorcycle course at TTC but never got around to it. Started looking at the Spyder again and saw that in SC you didn't need a MC license!! Hubby (Tobor 9) and I went to Velocity March 21st. I sat on an Orbital Blue RT and fell in love! It had already been sold but they had a Pure Magnesium Metallic that was still on the truck that they had just gotten in. Hubby bought it for me that day. He was not interested in getting a Spyder. Had never been on a bike before in my life!!! I was really nervous about it. I was telling them at Velocity, What if I don't like it or can't figure out how to ride it, what then? They said you'll love it. Studied the paper work and went thru the dvd. Had it delivered a couple of days later and hubby and I started learning to ride it around the neighborhood. I would ride it around when I was off (I work nights and sleep during the day) and he would ride it when he went to aerobics. Found out about the owners event in June and told the hubby I wanted to go. He was apprehensive but he said you might as well as there probably would not be another opportunity. Drove to Maggie Valley (took me 8 hrs!). Went to Lamonster's BBQ and had a great time. Had been so excited about the trip and was on a new medication that I had been unable to eat since Tuesday. Friday morning I called the hubby and told him the problem and he said try to eat and call him back. Unable to eat. Called the hubby and he drove from Chas. to get me. We did make it to the event fri. evening and then we went home. I drove his Pilot and he drove the Spyder. He said the more he drove it that 5 hrs home the more he wanted 1. Couldn't afford another RT for him. Veolcity was having a 4th of July sale and he said he was going up there. I woke up and he wasn't home. Called him and he said he had just bought a RS and he (and I) have been modding and riding ever since!!! Sorry this ran a bit long but you did ask!!!

ruthie
01-14-2012, 06:55 PM
I think I saw the first RT-S in a magazine and thought that really would be neat. But I was still enjoying riding my 400 cc scooter. A little later I began thinking that I would have to find another ride or be a co-rider again. My scooter had taken me on rides through 10 states and had 45,000 miles on it. So I started looking at other bikes. Those that I liked were too tall for my short legs and didn't like driving a Gold Wing trike.

I would see pictures of the spyders and my eyes would light up. No dealers here in Mississippi at that time. Then one day at the local bike shop sat a used RS. Took a ride but thought price was too high. Then in 2010 while attending Wing Ding I finally got to ride a RT-S and came back with a big smile. But it was just a BIG wish to have one.

Well, on my 65th birthday my sweet hubby surprised me with my spyder. I love my hubby and my spyder.

What sold my hubby is the technology which provide a safe ride.

Lifeisadaydream
01-14-2012, 10:47 PM
I regularly read gizmag.com and saw an article about the original GS. Thought it was an interesting idea but that was about it. Living in podunk New Mexico and not really having a commute, a touring bike is all I was interested in. Never liked the look of a Goldwing, just assumed a BMW was way too expensive and getting a HD dresser as a first road bike seemed crazy. Then I came across an article about the up coming RT's. I was hooked. Did a lot of internet research, including lurking on this site for a while. Then attended my first motorcycle rally with some friends that ride. My next time off after that rally, I hit the dealership to get the exact price n finance info. Did six more weeks on the road then got home and told my dad hey go for a ride to Las Cruces with me. I rode the Spyder RT home. Good thing I hadn't seen the Victory Vision first, I really like the looks of that one.

Yazz
01-15-2012, 01:49 PM
Had ridden my Springer for quite some time. Hubby and I did road trips all over the country. Love road trips!

Well, started having health problems. Coming home from a short ride in the country, I couldn't feel the tires on the road. Felt like I was floating. Super, super scary in the turns! Put the Springer up and haven't ridden her since.

After three years of trying to get used to being a passenger, I couldn't take it any more. Started googling for a funky little three or four wheeler to putz around the rally grounds with. Then I found the answer to my dreams. A full screen picture of a Phantom. (Insert drool)

Found a dealer with a Phantom on the floor and went to check it out. What trusting souls to let me take it for a test ryde. Oh man, it felt like I'd never stopped ridding! Kept ryding the feeder road around the highway over and over again. I dogged that engine. Swear the front tires wanted to come off the ground! It felt soooo good to get back in the wind!!!

Waited two days, went back down and bought Spydee.

Found SpyderLovers via google. Finding this forum has taken Spyder ryding to a new level. No matter where you go, there are friends you haven't met yet...

Thank you Lamont!